Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Annandale, NSW - Uniting

Annandale, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1891

Address: 82 Johnston Street, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

A wall plaque reads, " National Trust Classified. Annandale Uniting formerly Methodist Church was built in 1891 incorporating the façade of the Bull and Company Warehouse, at 104 – 106 Pitts Street Sydney which was destroyed by fire in 1890. The ornate Victorian stonework was carved by Thomas Wran, the Great Grandfather of Neville Wran a…

Read More

Annerley, QLD - Baptist

Annerley, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1965

Address: 556 Ipswich Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A Foundation stone reads, " Annerley Baptist Church This Foundation stone was unveiled to the Glory of God on 13th March 1965 by Mr P.J. Hancox, President Baptist Union of Queensland. Rev C.L. Miller Minister Mr J.A. Barrie Secretary Mr E.S. Jones Senior Deacon".

Read More

Annerley, QLD - Fijian Uniting

Annerley, QLD - Fijian Uniting

Address: 29 Cracknell Street, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God the foundation tablet of this church was unveiled on the twenty first of March 1925 by ? A Walker Esq BA LL B Frederick North MA Minister".

Read More

Annerley, QLD - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Annerley, QLD - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Year Built: 1932

Address: 616 Ipswich Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A group of parishioners approached Archbishop James Duhig with a proposal to construct a building that could serve the parish as both a church and a school. Their request was approved and land was subsequently purchased by Archbishop Duhig for £814 in October 1912. Only ten years after the opening of the original church, Archbishop…

Read More

Annerley, QLD - St George Ethiopian Orthodox

Annerley, QLD - St George Ethiopian Orthodox

Address: 15 Eric Crescent, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

Read More

Annerley, QLD - St John's Presbyterian

Annerley, QLD - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1929

Address: 33 King Street, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

The first church was built in 1886 at a cost of £150 and their second church in 1929 at a cost of £3,500. Brisbane architect, George Trotter, who was also a member of the congregation, designed the second church.

Read More

Annerley, QLD - St Philips Anglican

Annerley, QLD - St Philips Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: 115 Cromwall Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was set and blessed by Reginald Archbishop of Brisbane on Sunday 17th October 1954 J.G. Johnson Rector."

Read More

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Address: 4 Nelson Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233

The Foundation stone was laid the Rev J.P. O'Collins D.D. Bishop of Ballarat on 3 September 1952. No further information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Collingwood Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233

Built in 1905.

Read More

Appin, NSW - St Bed's Catholic

Appin, NSW - St Bed's Catholic

Year Built: 1838

Address: 26 King Street, , Appin New South Wales, 2560

The Foundation of the Roman Catholic Chapel was laid at Appin last week by Bishop Polding”. St Bede’s Catholic Church was officially opened on 8 October 1843. Restoration works were carried out in 1999 with a formal opening occurring in early 2000. A rustic iron sign outside the gorgeous and historically significant St Bede’s reads “The…

Read More

Appin, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Appin, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: 1-3 Church Street, , Appin New South Wales, 2560

The site was established in 1839 and the Church commenced in 1841. The Australian (9 January 1841) noted: '...a very neat Episcopalian Church of stone, also a Roman Catholic chapel, are in the course of completion at Appin'. St Mark's was opened 25 April 1843 and dedicated by the Bishop W G Broughton. This is a small dressed sandstone…

Read More

Applecross, WA - Chinese Presbyterian

Applecross, WA - Chinese Presbyterian

Address: 33 Willcock Street, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

Read More

Applecross, WA - Church of Christ

Applecross, WA - Church of Christ

Address: 33 Willcock Street, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

Read More

Applecross, WA - St David's Anglican

Applecross, WA - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 54 Simpson Street, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

The Foundation Stone was laid on 12 May 1957 by his Grace the Archbishop of Perth The Most Reverend R.W.H. Moline MC DD.

Read More

Applecross, WA - St Stephen's Uniting

Applecross, WA - St Stephen's Uniting

Year Built: 1955

Address: 2 McKenzie Road, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1955 by the Reverend F.C. Norman Inwood. The site of the present church was first developed in the early 1950s and the original building is now the church hall.

Read More

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Year Built: 1892

Address: 1404 Lower Marshes Road, , Apsley Tasmania, 7030

Read More

Aramara, QLD - Our Lady of the Way Catholic

Aramara, QLD - Our Lady of the Way Catholic

Address: Maryborough Biggenden Road, , Aramara Queensland,

The church was originally called Our Lady of the Way, became St Mary’s and lastly reverted to Our Lady of the Way. The Church now appears to be closed.

Read More

Aranda, ACT - St Vincent De Paul Catholic

Aranda, ACT - St Vincent De Paul Catholic

Year Built: 1982

Address: 7 Bindel Street, , Aranda Australia Capital Territory, 2614

Read More

Ararat West, VIC - Uniting

Ararat West, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Banfield & Coad Streets, , Ararat West Victoria, 3377

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Church of Christ

Ararat, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: 90 Western Highway, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1927

Address: 304 Barkley Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

There are three St Mary's in Ararat. The first was dedicated by Fr Goold in 1868. The second was dedicated by Bishop Moore in 1889 while the third was dedicated in 1928 by Bishop Foley. The Immaculate Conception Parish Ararat was established in 1858 by Bishop James Alipius Goold OSA of Melbourne. In 1871 at the request of Fr Hogan a…

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Ararat, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: 32 View Point Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

In October 1857, there were meetings in Ararat to work towards having a resident clergyman and school building (which could also be used for public worship.) By mid October 1857 saw the arrival of Rev'd Philip Homan as the resident clergyman to Ararat and district. In September 1863 the Rev'd Homan wrote to the Diocesan Architect to…

Read More

Ararat, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Ararat, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: Corner King Street & Ararat Pomonal Road, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

Formerly a Presbyterian Church that was first considered at a meeting on 16 June 1858 with Mr Robert Allan, being the first Secretary. On 10 September 1858 the first service was held under the leadership of Dr Cairns.* On 10 February 1859 the Church was opened under the stewardship of Rev William MackIntosh. The debt for the church and…

Read More

Ararat, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Ararat, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: 110 Western Highway, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

Read More

Arding, NSW - Uniting

Arding, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1883

Address: Hawthorne Drive, , Arding New South Wales, 2358

Read More

Ardross, WA - St Benedict's Catholic

Ardross, WA - St Benedict's Catholic

Address: 115 Ardross Street, , Ardross Western Australia, 6153

Read More

Ardrossan, SA - Uniting

Ardrossan, SA - Uniting

Address: 22 Fourth Street, , Ardrossan South Australia, 5571

The Ardrossan Methodist Church began in the home of Mr.G. Webb. When the room was too small services were held under a large pepper tree near the house. Freeman's Mill later became the venue for worship. The church building was opened on the 24th. of March 1878 with a congregation of 80 and a Sunday School of 35. The Sunday School Hall…

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Baptist

Armadale, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1898

Address: 88 Kooyong Road, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

The Foundation stone was laid on 20 July 1898 by Mrs Westmore G. Stephens. The Architect was Sydney Smith and Ogg and the builder was A Parker. It was designed in an advanced Romanesque style in red brick with stucco dressings, dark brick diapering, chequerboard gable treatment and fleche on the roof ridge. The building was later…

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Holy Advent Anglican

Armadale, VIC - Holy Advent Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: 5 St Georges Road, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 April 1910 by the Archbishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Armadale, VIC - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Year Built: 1922

Address: 631 High Street, , Prahran Victoria, 3181

A contract for £1,121 was signed in August 1898 for the erection of the present building. This comprised the chancel, nave and aisles although the nave was not completed to its full length, and the tower and spire, located to the south of the chancel, together with a lofty and slender transept, were not built at this time. A Foundation…

Read More

Armadale, VIC - St John & St Verena Coptic Orthodox

Armadale, VIC - St John & St Verena Coptic Orthodox

Year Built: 1898

Address: 583 Orrong Road, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

The Church was formerly the St Alban’s Anglican Church comprising a 1898 brick Gothic Arts and Crafts church with a 1963 brick tower and an 1885 late Victorian timber hall. External and internal features of special interest include: the lancet leadlight windows, organ, vaulted timber ceiling, wrought iron sanctuary rails, arcade,…

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Uniting

Armadale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Kooyong & Clarendon Streets, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

Read More

Armidale, NSW - Baptist

Armidale, NSW - Baptist

Address: 187 Chapel Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

Plans for a church in Armidale were drawn up by Mr R. Hickson according to the Armidale Express 26 April 1918. On December 14, 1918 the Church building was formally opened. On February 20, 1920 a church meeting of the New England Baptist Church resolved that the name be changed to Armidale District Baptist Church and that the 'centre of…

Read More

Armidale, NSW - Baptist

Armidale, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1918

Address: 124 Jessie Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

The first Baptist Church in Armidale was built in 1882 on the corner of Brown and Allingham Streets. The current Armidale property, on corner Rusden and Jessie Streets, was purchased by members of the Black Mountain congregation in 1918, and the current Armidale building was opened in December that year. It cost £2,500. A Foundation…

Read More

Armidale, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic

Armidale, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 136 Dangar Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

Mr Joseph Daly donated £300 to purchase suitable land for the first Cathedral closer to the centre of town and a decision was made to purchase land from Thomas Bryan Fitzgerald on the north-western corner of Dangar and Barney Streets, Armidale. The cathedral, of brick construction and a shingled roof, was duly opened on the Feast of the…

Read More

Armidale, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Armidale, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 122 Rusden Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

The original St Peter's Church, a timber building, was opened in 1850 near the site of the present cathedral. The foundation stone for the cathedral, designed by Canadian Architect, J. Horbury Hunt, was laid in 1873. Hunt's original concept and alternative design, both stone and in the Anglo-French style, were largely in keeping with…

Read More

Armidale, NSW - Uniting

Armidale, NSW - Uniting

Address: 114 Rusden Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

The original church was built in 1864 and is the oldest surviving Church building in Armidale. The Architect was Mr Thomas Rowe. It is now Wesley Hall. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by Rev W.H. Beale November 30 1892". A plaque reads, " This plaque was unveiled on 14th February 1988 to commemorate the restoration of the…

Read More

Arthur River, WA - St Paul's Anglican

Arthur River, WA - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 16882 Albany Highway, , Arthur River Western Australia, 6315

The Taylor family donated the land for the church and £50 towards its construction. Construction commenced in 1882 and was completed n 1884. Construction was by FE Smith and AG Horley. Made of stone with wooden floorboards and a shingle roof. The floorboards came from the sawpits near Dardaline.

Read More

Arundel, QLD - Presbyterian

Arundel, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 132 Allied Drive, , Arundel Queensland, 4214

The Church was created in 1977 and in 1993 it was subdivided into Robina and Arundel churches.

Read More

Ascot Vale, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Ascot Vale, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Address: 1 Archer Avenue, , Ascot Vale Victoria, 3032

Read More