Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Saint: John


Camberwell, VIC - St John's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 552 Burke Road, , Camberwell Victoria,

The first church opened on 8 February 1863, but Anglican worship in Camberwell began in 1856 in the home of Mr. James Price in what is now Burke Road. Mr. Price, who was later known in family memory as a lay reader at St John's, possibly conducted the first worship himself. The following year, the first church, then known simply as the…

Read More

Cambrai, SA - St John's Lutheran

Cambrai, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: Corner Marne & Skinner Streets, , Cambrai South Australia, 5353

The original church was built of stone in 1904. The separate hall was erected in 1963.

Read More

Campbelltown, NSW - St John's Catholic

Campbelltown, NSW - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: 35 Cordeaux Street, , Campbelltown New South Wales, 2560

Father James Dunne took charge of Campbelltown parish in 1886 and one of his first tasks was to look to a new parish church. In March 1886 he signed a contract with Mr Oliver Harley of Darlinghurst for the erection and completion of St John’s Church, Cordeaux Street for a sum of £1686. The architect was Mr J.B. Barlow and Mr Harley was…

Read More

Campbelltown, NSW - St John's Catholic (Former)

Campbelltown, NSW - St John's Catholic (Former)

Address: 13 George Street, , Campbelltown New South Wales, 2560

A stuccoed brick Church of simple Georgian design. The arched window openings and pilasters are marked by projecting render work and quoins represent ashlar work. In 1886 it was converted to a convent school, a mezzanine floor being added at the same time. Church built by Father Therry between 1825 and 1841 an important ecclesiastical…

Read More

Campsie, NSW - St John's Anglican

Campsie, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1911

Address: Anzac Square, , Campsie New South Wales, 2194

The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend John Charles Wright D.D. Archbishop of Sydney on 22 April 1911.

Read More

Cann River, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Cann River, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Address: 22 Princess Highway, , Cann River Victoria, 3890

The Church was licenced and dedicated on 29 February 1928.

Read More

Cargo, NSW - St John's Anglican (Former)
Clifton Hill, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Clifton Hill, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Year Built: 1876

Address: 61 Queens Parade, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068

Construction commenced in 1876 and by July the walls were being erected. The Foundation stone was laid in 1876. The Architect was J.B. Denny. The spire was added in 1907.

Read More

Colac, VIC - St John's Anglican

Colac, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: Corner Hessie & Pollack Streets, , Colac Victoria, 3250

The Church of St John's is a fine brick building set prominently on a busy corner in the midst of the old residential area of the town. The present building replaces the first church on the site, which was dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The new building constructed from plans prepared by Messrs Henderson and Davidson was opened…

Read More

Condowie, SA - St John's Lutheran

Condowie, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1876

The Church was established in 1876. A hall beside the church was erected in 1952 and opened and dedicated on February 8 1953 by Pastor L.H. Leskie.

Read More

Coolana, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Coolana, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Address: Minden Lowood Road, , Coolana Queensland, 4311

Read More

Cowes, VIC - St John's Uniting

Cowes, VIC - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1975

Address: 86 Chapel Street, , Cowes Victoria, 3922

In 1869, soon after the town was surveyed, this section of land was granted to the Presbyterian Church. Church Services began before Christmas 1889. These services were held in the open air, according to Mr. Robb, under a gum tree, though some years later an elderly member of the church and of its Board of Management reported that she…

Read More

Cowra, NSW - St John's Anglican

Cowra, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1955

Address: 98 Kendall Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

The foundation stone was laid on 29 October 1955 by his Excellency the Governor of NSW Lieutenant General Sir John Northcott KC MC.

Read More

Cranbourne, VIC - St John's Anglican

Cranbourne, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: Corner Childers & Russell streets, , Cranbourne Victoria, 3977

Read More

Creswick, VIC - St John's Anglican

Creswick, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: 103 Napier Street, , Creswick Victoria, 3363

Read More

Crystal Brook, SA - St John's Lutheran

Crystal Brook, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Stanley Street, , Crystal Brook South Australia, 5523

The first know existence of Lutheran's in this area forming a church was recorded in February 1881 when several families met for a service in the home of A.F. Noll. For the next 17 years all services were held there. By 1897 the room in the Noll home could not hold all the congregation so it was decided a church was needed. The foundation…

Read More

Dalby, QLD - St John's Anglican

Dalby, QLD - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1922

Address: 153 Cunningham Street, , Dalby Queensland, 4405

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Honourable H.W.B. Forster of Lepe on 29 August 1922. St John's Church, Dalby is a brick church constructed in 1922-1923 to the design of Harry Marks and is the third church of this name on the site. The previous timber church, built in 1876, remained on the site in a modified form as part of a…

Read More

Dee Why, NSW - St John's Anglican

Dee Why, NSW - St John's Anglican

Address: 87 Oaks Avenue, , Dee Why New South Wales, 2099

Read More

Devonport, TAS - St John's Anglican

Devonport, TAS - St John's Anglican

Address: 9B Fenton Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310

The Church opened on Sunday 15 May 1887 and by 1913, the foundation stone for a tower was laid by Bishop Mercer. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was set by the Right Rev G.F. Cranswick BA. TH D Lord Bishop of Tasmania 26 February 1956, H.A. Jerrim Rector". The church hall next door has a foundation stone that reads,…

Read More

Diamond Creek, VIC - St John's Anglican

Diamond Creek, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: Corner Hyde & Main Street, , Diamond Creek Victoria, 3089

The first recorded Church of England services were conducted by the Rev. Francis Hales. In 1860 Diamond Creek came under the jurisdiction of the Eltham parish - with the Rev R Mackie, and then the Rev Josiah Hollis as vicars. The building was designed by Charles Maplestone of Heidelberg, son-in-law to Anthony Beale of St Helena.…

Read More

Donvale, VIC - St John's Anglican (Former)

Donvale, VIC - St John's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1907

Address: 272 Springvale Road, , Donvale Victoria, 3111

The land at 283 Springvale Rd on which the 110 year old church and hall sits was sold to Manningham Council in the 1970’s for the use of and care by the Council. It reflects poorly on councils past that in 2006, a property heritage report was ignored and the property was sold in 2008. The Church was built by volunteer labour. At 3…

Read More

Doonside, NSW - St John's Anglican

Doonside, NSW - St John's Anglican

Address: 17A Cameron Street, , Doonside New South Wales, 2767

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 5 Finch Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

Founded as a mission to Caulfield Racecourse in 1883 the original church was built in 1889. The current church was built between 1920 and 1922. The Architect was Purchase and Teague. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 December 1920 by the Venerable Archdeacon Hindley B.D. Administrator of the Diocese. An example of the English…

Read More

Eden, NSW - St John's Anglican

Eden, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1885

Address: 98 Calle Calle Street, , Eden New South Wales, 2551

Church services were held at Eden from a very early date. Rev's Pryce, Riky and Druitt all visited Eden, Twofold Bay and Boydtown regularly. On the division of the Maneroo District Eden formed an important part of the Bega parish, then known as "Bega and Twofold Bay". On the 11/5/1861 a meeting is reported in the Twofold Bay and Maneroo…

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St John's Uniting

Elsternwick, VIC - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1915

Address: 567 Glen Huntly Road, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3188

The first service was conducted by the Rev George Faulds in the Court House (31 October). He is to become the first permanent minister at the Caulfield Presbyterian Church. In 1915 Architects are requested to invite fresh tenders for a new church. The tender for the new church was accepted for £2,787. A Foundation stone reads, " This…

Read More

Emerals, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Emerals, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Address: 19 Retro Street, , Emerald Queensland, 4720

Read More

Enoggerra, QLD - St John the Baptist Catholic

Enoggerra, QLD - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: 133 S Pine Road, , Enoggerra Queensland, 4051

The initial land offered by the Archbishop was too small for a church and school. A local Catholic, Mrs E Clugston, donated a property which she owned and the Archbishop purchased 2 adjoining acres to provide a suitable area. The Church was blessed and opened on Sunday August 9, 1908. In 1913 St John the Baptist became a parish with…

Read More

Epping, VIC - St John's Anglican

Epping, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 789 High Street, , Epping Victoria, 3076

The earliest recorded Anglican service in Epping was held in September 1863. The Anglican community, anxious to erect their own permanent church but unhappy with the low-lying site allocated to them near the Darebin Creek, applied to the Government for an alternative one, and the present two acre site in High Street was gazetted on 5 May…

Read More

Esperance, WA - St John's Lutheran

Esperance, WA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: 15 Backland Street, , Esperance Western Australia, 6450

The Church was opened in 1958. The Lutheran presence was first established in the Esperance region when South Australian farmers Walter and Grace Schultz took up land on Bows Road in Gibson in 1958.

Read More

Essendon, VIC - St John's Uniting

Essendon, VIC - St John's Uniting

Address: Corner Buckley Street & Mount Alexander Road, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

Read More

Eudunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Eudunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1979

Address: Corner Hanna & Kapunda Streets, , Eudunda South Australia, 5374

A congregation was formed at Emmaus in 1870 by Pastor E.D. Appelt of the Nain-Gnadenberg Parish. The first service was held in the home of Mr. C. Ziersch. A church was built in 1872 at Emmaus during the ministry of Pastor R. Ey and an adjoining school was also built. Eudunda, which had originated with a wine store on busy cross roads…

Read More

Eugowra, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Eugowra, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: Pye Street, , Eugowra New South Wales, 2806

Read More

Euroa, VIC - St John's Catholic

Euroa, VIC - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner Brock & Kirkland Avenue West, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

Bishop Gould recorded in his diary that he blessed and opened on 8 May 1866 a small church in Euroa named in honour of St Michael the Archangel. This was the first church building in Euroa. On 6 March 1887 the new church was blessed and opened by Bishop Reville Coadjutor. In 1915 the interior of St Johns Church was completely…

Read More

Ferntree Gully, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Ferntree Gully, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: 19 Forest Raod, , Ferntree Gully Victoria, 3156

The first Catholic church in the Gully was completed in 1890. The simple wooden building was erected on the south side of Main Road (now Burwood Highway, where Woolworth’s service station now stands). The land was donated by John Buckley and the building was erected by Thomas Jones at a cost of 200 pounds. In 1911 saw the establishment…

Read More

Flinders, VIC - St John's the Evangelist Anglican

Flinders, VIC - St John's the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1891

Address: 23 King Street, , Flinders Victoria, 3929

After St Peter's Mornington opened, there were more frequent visits to Flinders, and 26 services were held in the School house in 1867 and by 1881 fortnightly services were being conducted in the Mechanics Hall or in private homes by the Vicar of St Peter's, The Rev T Quinton (1875-1888) or one of the Lay Readers, and a Flinders Sabbath…

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St John's Anglican

Forbes, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: Court Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

The first church was a wooden structure built in 1861 in the northwest corner of the church grounds and cost £150.00. St John's Church of England at Forbes was designed by B Backhouse and constructed between 1874 and 1877. It was built on land donated by Josiah Strickland who also gave £500 to the church building fund. The original…

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Forbes, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1954

Address: Rankin Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

The first services in the Forbes area were held at Bareenong. In 1931 it was canvassed to move services to Forbes. The first services were held in the CWA Hall. The foundation stone was laid on 5 August 1934 vy Pastor W Lehmann.

Read More

Forster, SA - St John's Lutheran

Forster, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: 5146 Angus Valley Road, , Forster South Australia, 5238

Read More

Franklin, TAS - St John's Anglican

Franklin, TAS - St John's Anglican

Address: Huon Highway, Franklin, Tasmania, 7113

The Architect was Henry Hunter.

Read More

Frankston, VIC - St John's Catholic

Frankston, VIC - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1981

Address: 20 Coral Street, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

A Foundation stone reads, " St Johns Church erected to the Honour and Glory of God by the generosity of the parishioners solemney dedicated on the 6th June 1981 by His Grace Archbishop T.F. Little D.D. W Walsh Pastor".

Read More