Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.
Adelaide, SA - St Stephen's Lutheran
Year Built: 1848
Address: 152 Wakefield Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000
The original congregation of this church was formed in Klemzig in 1848. They remained there iuntil 1862 when their first church was built in Pirie Street. The congregation increased again in size and it was at this point St Stephen's was built. Designed by Architects Williams and Good the church is of Gothic Revival style. The Church…
Applecross, WA - St Stephen's Uniting
Year Built: 1955
Address: 2 McKenzie Road, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153
The Foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1955 by the Reverend F.C. Norman Inwood. The site of the present church was first developed in the early 1950s and the original building is now the church hall.
Belmont, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican
Address: Corner Regent & Thompson Streets, , Belmont Victoria, 3216
In September 1890 the Reverends John Cameron wrote to the Register of the Diocese recommending the purchase of land n the Colac road and indicating the hope that a small successful church of a permanent character could be built as the place increased in population. An Architect's plan for a building estimated to cost £350 was drawn up…
Coorporoo, QLD - St Stephen's Anglican
Year Built: 1957
Address: 343 Cavendish Road, , Coorporoo Queensland, 4151
The foundation stone of the present building was laid on 7 July 1957. It was opened and dedicated on 27 April 1958, having been designed by the Brisbane architect, H.G. Driver.
Culcairn, NSW - St Stephen's Lutheran
Year Built: 1966
Address: 13 MacBean Street, , Culcairn New South Wales, 2660
The Foundation stone was laid on 20 November 1966.
Gardenvale, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican
Year Built: 1928
Address: 111 North Road, , Gardenvale Victoria, 3185
The Foundation stone was laid on 10 March 1928 by the Right Reverend Arthur Vincent Green. The Architect was Louis R Williams and the builder was McBain Brothers.
Gilgandra, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1912
Address: 42 Myrtle Street, , Gilgandra New South Wales, 2827
By 1912 the Presbyterians of Gilgandra were in a position to construct a church building and decided to ‘build one that would meet the requirements of a growing congregation for some time’. A building capable of seating 250 people was designed by Messrs. Power and Andrews of Sydney. Mr. R. J. Carson undertook construction under the…
Hurlstone Park, NSW - St Stephenos Greek Orthodox
Year Built: 1924
Address: 650 New Canterbury Road, , Hurlstone Park New South Wales, 2193
The church building was purchased from the Anglican Church in 1984 and refurbished for Orthodox worship with the financial assistance of the parishioners. The official opening was blessed by His Eminence Archbishop Stylianos on Sunday 9th May 1999. The foundation stone of the original church was laid by Deborah Louise Vickery on 31 May…
Ipswich, QLD - St Stephen's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1864
Address: Corner Limestone & Gordon Streets, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305
St Stephens Presbyterian Church stands as the second church to be constructed on the current site in 1864 - 1865. This striking gothic style brick church was designed by architect Joseph Backhouse and continues to be the place of worship for one the oldest congregations in Ipswich. The first Presbyterian church service held in Ipswich was…
Ivanhoe, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican (Former)
Year Built: 1926
Address: 22 Merton Street, , Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079
The Architect was Louis R. Williams who designed this church in 1926 in an unusual and inventive Arts and Crafts style.Built by T.H. Rowe for its opening by Archdeacon Hindley in April 1927.1 St Stephen's was the second Anglican church built in the Ivanhoe Parish. A vestry was added in 1929. Constructed of clinker brick, the church…
Jamberoo, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian (Former)
Year Built: 1875
Address: 2 Allowrie Street, , Jamberoo New South Wales, 2533
The Church was designed by John Colley and built in 1875 by John and James Marks, D. L. Dymock and W. Stewart. The church building was sold in 2009. Services were initially conducted in Dr. Menzies' barn by the Rev. John Tait, MA, the first minister of the Church of Scotland in Illawarra. The Church was opened and dedicated in the…
Jerilderie, NSW - St Stephen's Anglican
Year Built: 1897
Address: Corner Brown & Mahonga Streets, , Jerilderie New South Wales, 2716
The church was dedicated in August 1897 while the Foundation stone was laid by Ernest Augustus Anderson D.D. Bishop of Riverina on 20 December 1897.
Lower Sandy Bay, TAS - St Stephen's Anglican
Address: 520 Sandy Bay Road, , Lower Sandy Bay Tasmania, 7005
The Church was sold in 2021.
Ma Ma Creek, QLD - St Stephen's Anglican
Year Built: 1911
Address: Gatton Clifton Road, , Ma Ma Creek Queensland, 4347
The Foundation stone was laid on 6 July 1911 by the Archbishop of Toowoomba Reverend A.R. Rivers.
Maryborough, QLD - St Stephen's Uniting
Year Built: 1881
Address: 25 Sussex Street, , Maryborough Queensland, 4650
The first Presbyterian services were held in Maryborough in 1863, following a meeting held on 16th February 1863 at the court house. The foundation stone for the new Presbyterian church was laid on 8th October 1880 and the church was opened on 20th November 1881 and is now known as St. Stephen’s Uniting Church where the Maryborough…
Mortlake, VIC - St Stephen's Lutheran (Former)
Year Built: 1867
Address: Corner Shaw & Church Streets, , Mortlake Victoria, 3272
The church was constructed by builder Bothrell and Ballarat architect JA Doane, for the incredible price of £953. Now a private residence.
Nimbin, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian
Address: 37 Cullen Street, , Nimbin New South Wales, 2480
The first Presbyterian.Church services in Nimbin, were conducted on the site of the current War Memorial until 1909 when this current lading was opened on 22 Sept. 1922. Ministry was by foot until a horse and sulky were provided (and then a push-bike) in 1928. Home missionaries served for 50 years until 1959, when St.Stephen's received…
Norlane, VIC - St Stephen's Uniting
Address: 4 Wendover Avenue, , Norlane Victoria, 3214
Corio-Norlane Church is the amalgamation of two congregations Corio Uniting Church, Hendy Street Corio and St Stephen's, Norlane Uniting Church into the Corio-Norlane Congregation.
Peak Hill, NSW - St Stephen's Anglican
Address: 95 Derribong Street, , Peak Hill New South Wales, 2969
A plaque on the fence post reads, "A. M. D. G. In loving memory of Jacob Matthews died 4th Aug. 1906 aged 62 years Mary Ann Matthews died 6th Aug. 1932 aged 82 years erected by: their, son J. Matthews. Restored by their descendants 1994".
Queanbeyan, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian
Address: Corner Morrisset & Lowe Streets, , Queanbeyan New South Wales, 2620
Rutherglen, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican
Address: High Street, , Rutherglen Victoria, 3685
Saint Stephen's Church, designed by Mr. Pickersgill, architect, is built in English Bond style of local red clay bricks relieved by darker glazed bricks in every third bonding. The footings and sloping parapets are of north-eastern granite and the buttresses are capped with the same, while the lancet windows have hooded mouldings of…
Saddleworth, SA - St Stephen's Catholic
Address: Barrier Highway, , Saddleworth South Australia, 5413
Surrey Hills, VIC - St Stephens Presbyterian
Address: Corner Canterbury & Warrigal Roads, , Surrey Hills Victoria, 3127
The first divine worship at Surrey Hills 6 February 1887 took place in a Recreation Hall in Windsor Crescent. These services continued until a wooden church was built in Boundary Road (now Warrigal Road) and opened for use in March 1889.* In September, 1909, the committee reported that tenders had been called for, ( a new church) and…
Toowoomba, QLD - St Stephen's Uniting
Year Built: 1884
Address: 51 Neil Street, , Toowoomba Queensland, 4350
The site of the present church in Neil Street was purchased in 1874, and the foundation stone of the new church building was laid in 1883. The building was opened in June 1884, having been designed by the prominent Toowoomba architect James Marks. The Church was built of local basalt and sandstone and was completed in 1884. A fire in…
Walbundarie, NSW - St Stephen's Uniting
Year Built: 1957
Address: Queen Street, , Walbundarie New South Wales,
Originally a Presbyterian church. The Foundation stone was laid by Jessie May Gibbons on 20 August 1957.
Warrandyte, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican
Address: Stiggant Street, , Warrandyte Victoria, 3113
In June 1906 it was decided to build a new church because of the activity owning to a revival in mining. One Hundred and fifty ponds had been collected (including a fifty pound grant from Bishop in Council) It was proposed to have the building erected by September, according to the Church of England Messenger. On 16 September 1096 the…
West Tamworth, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1970
Address: 18B Matthews Street, , West Tamworth New South Wales, 2340
A plaque reads, " To the Glory of God this plaque was unveiled by the Rev James Bruce 0n 7th June 1970 Minster R.E. McLeod Session Clerk R.N. Hamilton".
Williamstown, VIC - St Stephens Uniting
Year Built: 1956
Address: 179 Melbourne Road, , Williamstown Victoria, 3016
Established in 1886 as North Williamstown Presbyterian Church. The original church building is now the church hall and was relocated when a new church was built in 1956. The Foundation stone was laid by The Right Reverend S.A. Goddard on 19 July 1958. The Architect was Keith Reid and built by W.H. Langdon and Sons.
Willunga, SA - St Stephen's Anglican
Year Built: 1884
Address: St Andrew's Terrace, , Willunga South Australia, 5172
The original church of St Stephens was constructed in 1848 as the centre for the Church of England Parish of Myponga, Yankalilla, Meadows and Port Elliott, as well as the Willunga District. It was located on Aldinga Road, further out of town, but was replaced by the current building, located in the centre of Willunga, in 1884. The old…
Wodonga, VIC - St Stephen's Uniting
Address: Corner Beechworth Road & Nilmar Avenue, , Wodonga Victoria, 3690
Woolloongabba, QLD - St Stephen's Lutheran
Address: 12 Hawthorne Street, , Woolloongabba Queensland, 4102
This Federation Gothic style church, designed by prominent architect Charles McLay, was constructed in 1896 for the local Lutheran community. The church was renovated in 1937, and again in 1996, before being badly damaged in an arson attack in 2000. The bricks and timber from a three storeyed hotel situated near the Stanley Street…
Wynyard, TAS - St Stephen's Anglican
Year Built: 1919
Address: 4 Dogin Street, , Wynyard Tasmania, 7325
The first church was built in the mid 1850s and was replaced by a larger building in 1873. The third church, was opened in 1920. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was laid by the Ven Archdeacon R.H. Richard B.A. on 1st of July 1919". For a full history go to Churches of Tasmania. Click here.