Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Roman Catholic


Aberfeldie, VIC - Our Lady of the Nativity Catholic

Aberfeldie, VIC - Our Lady of the Nativity Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 33 Fawkner Street, , Aberfeldie Victoria, 3040

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone symbol of Christ chief corner stone of the church was blessed and laid by his Grace The Most Revd James R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. on 29th October 1967 Revd J.B. Wall P.P. - S.J. Moran Architect M.P. Arbon & Co Builder ".

Read More

Airport West, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Airport West, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: 34 Roberts Road, , Airport West Victoria, 3042

A Foundation stone reads, " This church erected to the Glory of God under the protection of St Christopher was solemeny blessed and the main altar consecrated by Most Rev John N. Cullinane D.D. V.G. P.P. on October 5th 1969. The Temple of God is sacred and you are that temple 1. Cor 3/17" - Rev F.R. J Phelan Parish Priest - Max Chester…

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 36 Nihil Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend J.R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. 1 November 1970.

Read More

Altona Meadows, VIC - Queen of Peace Catholic

Altona Meadows, VIC - Queen of Peace Catholic

Address: 60 Everingham Road, , Altona Meadows Victoria, 3028

Read More

Altona, VIC - St Mary help of Christians Catholic

Altona, VIC - St Mary help of Christians Catholic

Address: Railway Street North, , Altona Victoria, 3018

The first Mass was held on 14 August 1922 by the Very Reverend John Barry the Cathedral Administrator. The venue for the early Masses was the Progress hall which eventually became a Baptist venue. The first Church was an historic timer building which serves as a church, primary school and entertainment centre. It was first located on…

Read More

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1871

Address: 2439 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

In 1857 the parish was formed under the care of Father Ronald Rankin. He purchased a site and in September of the same year a tender was let for the construction of a 25ft by 12ft wooden building at a cost of 210 pounds. From 1858 the building was used as a church under the patronage of St James on Sundays and from the 1st of September…

Read More

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Address: 4 Nelson Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233

The Foundation stone was laid the Rev J.P. O'Collins D.D. Bishop of Ballarat on 3 September 1952. No further information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1927

Address: 304 Barkley Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

There are three St Mary's in Ararat. The first was dedicated by Fr Goold in 1868. The second was dedicated by Bishop Moore in 1889 while the third was dedicated in 1928 by Bishop Foley. The Immaculate Conception Parish Ararat was established in 1858 by Bishop James Alipius Goold OSA of Melbourne. In 1871 at the request of Fr Hogan a…

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Armadale, VIC - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Year Built: 1922

Address: 631 High Street, , Prahran Victoria, 3181

A contract for £1,121 was signed in August 1898 for the erection of the present building. This comprised the chancel, nave and aisles although the nave was not completed to its full length, and the tower and spire, located to the south of the chancel, together with a lofty and slender transept, were not built at this time. A Foundation…

Read More

Ascot Vale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Ascot Vale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1938

Address: 123 St Leonard's Road, , Ascot Vale Victoria, 3032

The Foundation stone of a new church was laid by Archbishop Mannix on 1 July 1934. The church was completed, and opened by Archbishop Mannix on 15 May 1938. It was constructed in the neo-Romanesque architectural style, a revival of the Romanesque style common in Europe between the years 900 and 1200. A full description can be reads…

Read More

Ashburton, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Ashburton, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1953

Address: 270 High Street, , Ashburton Victoria, 3147

The first Mass was conducted by Father Patrick Loughnan on Sunday 11 December 1927 at the Ashburton Hall located on the corner of High Street and Johnston Street, just west of the shopping centre. On 26 April 1946 Ashburton was created a parish, entrusted to the care of Father John Ryan who had been an army chaplain. As the parish grew he…

Read More

Aspendale, VIC St Mary of the Cross Catholic

Aspendale, VIC St Mary of the Cross Catholic

Address: 37 Dolphin Street, , Aspendale Victoria, 3195

Read More

Avenel, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Avenel, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: Corner Queen & Plummer Streets, , Avenel Victoria, 3664

The Church was moved from the Sydney Road area to Queen Street.

Read More

Avoca, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Avoca, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Year Built: 1979

Address: Corner Barnett & Cambridge Streets, , Avoca Victoria, 3467

A brick church of 1872 with pointed windows, buttresses, porch and vestry. The current Church was opened on 18 November 1979. It was to be made on red bricks made from Avoca clay. P. & A. Coutts of Horsham were the Architects.

Read More

Axe Creek, VIC - St Josephs' Catholic

Axe Creek, VIC - St Josephs' Catholic

Address: Corner Axe Creek Road & Bendigo Road, , Axe Creek Victoria, 3551

Read More

Axedale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Axedale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1902

Address: 15 Raglan Place East, , Axedale Victoria, 3551

The original St Mary’s church was blessed and opened for worship on Sunday 9th February, 1862. It was a bluestone building, plain and unpretentious, on the hill, maybe 100 or so yards east of the present Church. The current Church consists of a nave 48’ x 26’, sanctuary 17’ x 16’, vestry 14’ x 11’, and a porchway at the entrance 8’ x…

Read More

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1872

Address: 61 Lerderderg Street, , Bacchus Marsh Victoria, 3340

The 1841 Census for this area recorded that there were only 14 Catholics out of a population of 112, an area that extended from the Upper Werribee to Melton. By 1851 a register entry listed the names of five infants who, were baptised:- James, the son of James and Fanny Toomey; Patrick, son of John and Margaret Leahy; Elizabeth,…

Read More

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1936

Address: 268 Main Street, , Bairnsdale Victoria, 3875

The History of St Mary's Catholic parish started in 1861 when a reservation of an area from the Lands Department of Victoria was made on the corner of Pyke and Nicholson streets with a frontage to Main street. By 1869 a suitable wooden building had been erected and was valued at £169. A new brick church was built in 1883. The current…

Read More

Balaclava, VIC - St Colman's Catholic

Balaclava, VIC - St Colman's Catholic

Address: 293 Carlisle Street, , Balaclava Victoria, 3183

Read More

Ballan, VIC, St Brigid's Catholic

Ballan, VIC, St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 98 Inglis Street, , Ballan Victoria, 3342

The Church was blessed and opened by Archbishop Carr of Melbourne 2nd June 1912. The original tender was forfeited and the Church committee decided to alter the original plan reducing the length of the church by five feet, and discarding suggested bluestone foundations and to call fresh tenders. On January 15, 1912, Rev. Father Cusack…

Read More

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Year Built: 1874

Address: Victoria Street, , Ballarat East Victoria, 3350

The Church is part of the Parish of Ballarat East and the Diocese of Ballarat. The Church dates from November 1852 when Father Matthew Downing arrived on the Ballarat gold fields. The foundation stone of this impressive Redan bluestone building was laid on 3rd March 1873 by Bishop Goold, who held the title of the Bishop of Victoria.…

Read More

Ballarat North, VIC - St Columba's Catholic

Ballarat North, VIC - St Columba's Catholic

Year Built: 1939

Address: 802 Armstrong Street, , Ballarat North Victoria, 3350

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Ballarat, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1858

Address: Corner Sturt & Dawson Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

Although Catholic Services were conducted in Ballarat from 1851 onwards, the parish of Ballarat was not instituted until 1852. The first Parish Priest was Father Matthew Downing, who in 1853, selected the two acre site for the church, which was granted under a Crown Grant in 1855. The style of the church is early Gothic from the era of…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic

Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic

Year Built: 1930

Address: 19 Brenbeal Street, , Balwyn Victoria,

The church was presumably named after the Irish theological college, All Hallows College in Dublin, where the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr Daniel Mannix, had studied. The building and site, together with furnishings and ground improvements, cost £3964 in total (Advocate 16 January 1930:22). The Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr…

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner High Street & Milton Road, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

The site for St John's was selected in July 1900 by Archpriest McKenna from St Mary's, Geelong and had formerly been owned by R. Phillip. A tender from J.C. Taylor & Sons was accepted in October 1900 and the church was constructed at a cost of 437 pounds. The church opened early in April 1901 with the first mass conducted by the Rev.…

Read More

Barwon Heads, VIC Holy Family Catholic

Barwon Heads, VIC Holy Family Catholic

Address: 103 Hitchcock Avenue, , Barwon Heads Victoria, 3226

The Advocate Newspaper recorded on January 5th 1939 the Church was formally opened by His Grace the Archbishop on New Years Day. His Grace blessed the new church, assisted by the Right Rev. Mgr. R.S. Benson, P.P., V.F.; Very Rev. Dr. Lyons, Rev. J.H. O'Halloran, P.P.; Rev. Norman Hoare, P.P.; Rev. J. McDonald, P.P.; Rev. J.H. Cleary, Rev.…

Read More

Bass, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Bass, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 20 Bass Road, , Bass Victoria, 3991

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Batesford, VIC - Catholic (Former)

Batesford, VIC - Catholic (Former)

Address: 30 Cross Street, , Batesford Victoria, 3213

Read More

Bayswater, VIC - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Bayswater, VIC - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Year Built: 1977

Address: 25 Orange Grove, , Bayswater Victoria, 3153

The first significant mention of Catholic activity in Bayswater was in 1917 when Fr. John O'Brien,3 second parish priest of the new Parish of St. John's, arrived on horseback to celebrate the first Mass in Bayswater at "The Grange"— the Scoresby Road home of Albert and Myrtle Piergrosse. Mass was held in their large hall-like dining room…

Read More

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: Leichardt Street, , Beaufort Victoria, 3373

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Beechworth, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: Church Street, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

A reference in the Argus Newspaper intimates that a weatherboard chapel was being erected in 1855. The Church was dedicated on Saturday March 2 1872.

Read More

Belgrave, VIC - St Thomas' the More Catholic

Belgrave, VIC - St Thomas' the More Catholic

Address: 17 Terry Avenue, , Belgrave Victoria, 3160

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Bell Park, VIC - Holy Family Catholic

Bell Park, VIC - Holy Family Catholic

Address: 147 Separation Street, , Bell Park Victoria, 3215

Read More

Benalla, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Benalla, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: Corner Wedge & Arundel Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The first St Joseph's was built in 1866. The current Church was completed in 1908 in a Romanesque style at a cost of £9,000. The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne on 21 July 1907 assisted by Bishop Reville and Dean Davey 1907. In 1989 a fire destroyed a large part of the building…

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic Cathedral

Bendigo, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic Cathedral

Address: McKenzie Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

Sacred Heart Cathedral is renowned for being one of the last completed gothic cathedrals of the twentieth century. The cathedral owes its existence to the legendary Rev Dr Henry Backhaus (1811-1882) from Paderborn in Germany, who was the pioneer priest on the Bendigo (Sandhurst) goldfields around 1852. Sacred Heart Cathedral is 75…

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St Killian's Catholic

Bendigo, VIC - St Killian's Catholic

Year Built: 1888

Address: 161 McCrae Steet, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

The first church was a slab and canvas structure assembled in 1853 by Rev Dr Backhaus. In May 1856, construction of a stone church commenced. Topped by a slate roof, the church was a grand site with its 22 buttresses and four entrances. However, only 30 years later, the building was condemned as the walls were cracking and crumbling.…

Read More

Bennettswood, VIC - St Scholastica Catholic

Bennettswood, VIC - St Scholastica Catholic

Address: 348 Burwood Highway, , Bennettswood Victoria, 3125

St Scholastica’s Parish was founded in 1962, separated from St Benedict’s with Father George Maltby as its first parish priest.

Read More

Bentleigh, VIC - St Paul's Catholic

Bentleigh, VIC - St Paul's Catholic

Year Built: 1960

Address: 122 Jasper Road, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204

A foundation stone reads " This stone symbol of Christ, Chief corner stone of the church was blessed and set by His Grace Archbishop Simonds 13th November 1960, T O'Sullivan P.P. S. J. Morgan and Associates Architect H.P. Yunken Pty Ltd Builder".

Read More

Berwick, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Berwick, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1984

Address: 125 High Street, , Berwick Victoria, 3806

The first church, built of weatherboard, was erected in 1870. It was originally part of the Brighton Parish. St. Michael's Parish was established in 1956, having previously been part of the parish of Dandenong. In 1956 it became part of the Diocese of Sale. The current Church was opened on 29 April 1984 and was blessed by the Bishop of…

Read More

Bethanga, VIC - St Francis Catholic (Former)

Bethanga, VIC - St Francis Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1886

Address: Bridge Street, , Bethanga Victoria, 3691

The first church was built in 1886. In 1917 Revd Dr Flynn decided the location of the church was not appropriate.The aged, the infirm and ill could not access the Church because of the steepness and parishioners who had to walk to Mass found it almost impossible to attend area became wet and muddy. On the 17th October 1917 the…

Read More