Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

State: Victoria


Castlemaine, VIC - Uniting

Castlemaine, VIC - Uniting

Address: 8-12 Lyttleton Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450

Formerly a Presbyterian church. The foundation stone was laid by the Premier of Victoria, Sir James Patterson on June 22nd 1894. The Church was officially opened on 16th December 1894. The church was built by Mr Shillabeer to a design by the Ballarat architect Charles Figgis. It is a red brick building with cement dressings and a…

Read More

Caulfied North, VIC - Church of Christ

Caulfied North, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: Corner Alma & Dandenong Road, , Caulfield North Victoria, 3161

Read More

Caulfield South, VIC - Holy Cross Catholic

Caulfield South, VIC - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1937

Address: 707 Glenhuntly Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 May 1937 by the Most Reverend D. Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne. The Architect was O.H. Jorgensen.

Read More

Caulfield South, VIC - St Catherine's Anglican

Caulfield South, VIC - St Catherine's Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: Corner Clarence & Kooyong Roads, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162

The Revd H.B. Macartney purchased a small weatherboard former Methodist Church, known as St Peter's Mission Church, Camden Town, in 1875, on the corner of Glen Huntly Road and Cedar Street. After this, Messrs. R.W. B. Mackenzie, and I..J. Davies and J.H. Davies officiating as lay readers from St Mary's, were among the first people to take…

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - Church of Christ

Caulfield, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: 206 Bambra Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

The first meeting of the Church was held on 12th of May 1920, when the Church constituted 37 members.

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - Presbyterian

Caulfield, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1929

Address: 1 Neerim Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Monday 13 August 1928, page 12, CHURCH NEWS. Efforts to organise a Presbyterian Church in Caulfield are meeting with success. The Sunday evening services are held in the Courtroom, Caulfield Town Hall, and are conducted by the Rev. A. Hardie. Tenders have been called for the building of a church…

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 281 Glen Ira Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

The first Anglican service held in Caulfield was conducted by the Reverend Samuel Taylor (from St Andrew's Brighton) and Reverend David Seddon (of Christ Church St Kilda) in Park Street. An early English Gothic design by the architectural firm of Reed and Barnes. The Church is constructed of bluestone and was erected between 1870 and…

Read More

Cerberus, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Cerberus, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Address: Nelson Road HMAS, , Cerberus Victoria, 3920

Our Lady Star of the Sea Memorial Chapel serving the Royal Australian Navy within HMAS CERBERUS, Victoria. Opened in 1948 by Archbishop Daniel Mannix. It features stained glass windows donated by the American singer/actor Bing Crosby on a visit by him in the 1950's.

Read More

Charlton, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Charlton, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1871

In the spring of the year 1871 as inhabitants of stations around Charlton crossed southwards over the recently constructed Avoca bridge they saw the beginnings of the first House of Worship in Charlton. The contractor James Paterson, of Nardoo, Buckrabnayule, a builder who learnt his trade in Scotland was putting the final touches to the…

Read More

Charlton, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Charlton, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1993

Address: 7 Learmouth Street, , Charlton Victoria, 3525

A Foundation stone reads, "St Joseph's Church Charlton was blessed and opened by Most Reverend Ronald Mulkeearns D.D. Bishop of Ballarat Sunday April 4th 1993. Fr Denis Dennehy Parish Priest. On this site stood the former St Joseph's Church blessed and opened by Bishop Joseph Higgins of Ballarat in September 1907 when Father Edward…

Read More

Charlton, VIC - St Martin's Anglican

Charlton, VIC - St Martin's Anglican

Year Built: 1963

Address: 3 Armstrong Street, , Charlton Victoria, 3525

The first Church was built in 1889. A Foundation stone reads, "In Memory of the fallen in Two World Wars the Foundation stone of this Church of St Martin built for the worship of God was set by Allen Second Bishop of St Arnaud on 28 April 1963. G.B. Lucas Rector."

Read More

Charlton, VIC - Uniting

Charlton, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: 6 Halliday Street, , Charlton Victoria, 3525

Two Foundation stones read, 1. "Wesley Chapel Built in 1876 and later used as a Sunday School. The present church was built for the Methodist Community in 1885. This project was funded by Centenary of Federation Victoria through the Victorian Government's Community Support Fund." 2. Charlton Methodist Sunday School Hall built to the…

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - Charman Uniting

Cheltenham, VIC - Charman Uniting

Year Built: 1921

Address: 313 Charman Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

A Foundation stone on the original church reads, " This stone was laid by Mrs F. Woff for 56 years a member of the Cheltenham Methodist Church Oct 22 1921. W.H. Orchill Architect L.H. Buttersworth Contractor". A Foundation stone on the newer Hall reads, " Dedicated to the worship of God March 6th 1965 by Rev C.H. Gallagher M.A. B.D.…

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic

Cheltenham, VIC - Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic

Address: 9 Centre Dandenong Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - Pioneer's Presbyterian

Cheltenham, VIC - Pioneer's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: 8 Park Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

From TROVE 3 Sep 1886. The Cheltenham Presbyterian congregation on last Wednesday evening held a conversazione, to show their appreciation of the services ot the late pastor, the Hey. D. H. Ballantyne, who after 17 years' ministration, working in connexion with the Brighton church Cheltenham being a missionary station had resigned the…

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - Southern Community Church of Christ

Cheltenham, VIC - Southern Community Church of Christ

Address: 2 Chesterville Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

The original chapel was built in 1878. A Foundation stone attached to the rear Pine Street Hall reads, " This Memorial stone was laid by Mrs R.W. Tuck April 2nd 1902".

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Cheltenham, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1966

Address: 161 Park Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

A Foundation stone on the old church reads, " This stone was laid by The Bishop of Melbourne June 19th 1905 Church first opened April 14th 1867". A Foundation stone on the hall at the rear of the old church reads, " This Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Archbishop the Most Reverend J.J. Booth C.M.C. M.C. D. D. on 28th April…

Read More

Chiltern, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Chiltern, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1871

Address: High Street, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683

The former Presbyterian church was erected 1871-1875 by Smith and Houston. It replaced a timber and bark structure erected in 1860 some distance west of the site. The present orange-coloured brick structure comprises a buttressed hall with the west front punctuated by a pinnacled octagonal bell-cote on the gable apex and a small…

Read More

Chiltern, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Chiltern, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 144 North Road, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683

Read More

Chiltern, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Chiltern, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: Albert Road, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683

During 1869 services were held in the Old Fellows hall. Erected over a period between 1870 and 1875, the design was adapted from a church in Ireland. Construction was by James Fitzpatrick. The Foundation stone was laid on 25 April 1870 by Sir William Foster Stawell Chief Justice of the Colony of Victoria. The architects were Pickersgill…

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - Croatian Catholic

Clifton Hill, VIC - Croatian Catholic

Address: Corner Hodgkinson & Wellington Streets, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - Presbyterian

Clifton Hill, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: Corner Michael & McKeans Streets, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Clifton Hill, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Address: South Terrace, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068

St Andrew's Church was constructed in reinforced concrete and bluestone to the designs of North & Williams. The foundation stone was laid on 4 March 19161 and the building dedicated on 30 September of that year.

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Clifton Hill, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Year Built: 1876

Address: 61 Queens Parade, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068

Construction commenced in 1876 and by July the walls were being erected.

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - St Luke's Hungarian Reformed Church

Clifton Hill, VIC - St Luke's Hungarian Reformed Church

Year Built: 1870

Formerly a Church of England church built in 1879. It was sold to the Hungarian Reformed church in 1979. The original foundation stone was laid on 21 December 1870.

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - St Mark's Baptist

Clifton Hill, VIC - St Mark's Baptist

Address: 100 Hodgkinson Street, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068

A Romanesque polychromatic red brick designed Church with cream and brown dressings was opened on 2 October 1895. The foundation stone had been laid on 25 June 1895. Baptists first met in Clifton Hill in the Albert Hall in Queens Parade from 1890 until this church was opened. Clifton Hill Baptist Church known today as the Community Church…

Read More

Clifton Springs, VIC - Baptist

Clifton Springs, VIC - Baptist

Address: 45 Central Road, , Clifton Springs Victoria, 3222

Read More

Clunes, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Clunes, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1861

Address: Service Street, , Clunes Victoria, 3370

Constructed in the Gothic style it was designed by Ballarat architect J.A. Doane, and commenced in 1864. It consists of a broad nave and transepts with galleries, including cast iron balustrades. The facade incorporates a slate-roofed octagonal turret and spire and a four-light perpendicular Gothic window. The Basalt manse was erected in…

Read More

Clunes, VIC - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Clunes, VIC - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Address: Clunes Creswick Road, , Clunes Victoria, 3370

The church is constructed in bluestone and was designed by H. R. Caselli and W. B. Tappin and was built between 1872 and 1873. It's based on the plans of St Patrick's in Ballarat and the St Patrick's in Port Fairy (both designed by Charles Hansom). The Church was opened on 9 March 1873 by the Right Reverend J.A. Gould Bishop of…

Read More

Cobden, VIC - St Brendan's Catholic

Cobden, VIC - St Brendan's Catholic

Address: Curdie Street, , Cobden Victoria, 3266

Read More

Cobden, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Cobden, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: Curdie Street, , Cobden Victoria, 3266

Saint Mary’s Anglican Church was established in about 1866, and is part of the Mission District of Saint Francis of Assisi which encompasses Cobden, Terang, Timboon, Peterborough, Simpson and Camperdown. A Foundation stone was laid by John Murray on 25 August 1910.

Read More

Cobden, VIC - Uniting

Cobden, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1963

Address: Curdie Street, , Cobden Victoria, 3266

The Foundation stone was laid on 8 September 1963 by Walter Leslie Baker.

Read More

Cobram, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Cobram, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Year Built: 1906

Address: Pine Street, , Cobram Victoria, 3644

A Foundation stone reads, " Memorial stone laid by the Bishop of Wangaratta August 24th 1906 Architect and Builder H.H. Farrall". There are another two stones mounted on the front brick pillars. One reads "Erected by the citizens of Cobram 1953". The other reads, " To the Glory of God in Memory of L.G. Hamilton".

Read More

Coburg, VIC - Baptist

Coburg, VIC - Baptist

Address: Corner of Sydney Road & Hatton Street, , Coburg Victoria, 3058

Read More

Coburg, VIC - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Coburg, VIC - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: Mitchell Street, , Coburg Victoria, 3058

The Foundation stone was laid on 14 March 1920 by the Archbishop of Melbourne the Most Reverend Daniel Mannix.

Read More

Coburg, VIC - Uniting

Coburg, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Victoria & Louisa Streets, , Coburg Victoria, 3058

Read More

Cockatoo, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Cockatoo, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Address: McBride Street, , Cockatoo Victoria, 3781

Read More

Colac, VIC - Baptist

Colac, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1958

Address: Corner Dennis & Hessie Streets, Colac, Victoria, 3250

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 February 1958.

Read More

Colac, VIC - Presbyterian

Colac, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1982

Address: 90 Armstrong Street, , Colac Victoria, 3250

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Reverend C.A. Harrison Moderator of the Presbyterian Church on 20 February 1982.

Read More

Colac, VIC - St John's Anglican

Colac, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: Corner Hessie & Pollack Streets, , Colac Victoria, 3250

The Church of St John's is a fine brick building set prominently on a busy corner in the midst of the old residential area of the town. The present building replaces the first church on the site, which was dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The new building constructed from plans prepared by Messrs Henderson and Davidson was opened…

Read More