Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1951 and 1960


Brunswick West, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Brunswick West, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: 183 Hope Street, , Brunswick West Victoria, 3055

The West Brunswick Parish was established by Archbishop Thomas Joseph Carr in 1913, appointing Father C. Sheahan as the first Parish Priest. The present Church is the second building to stand on the site. Work on the current Church commenced in 1949. The Church was built in two sections, the first part being built behind and over the…

Read More

Bundaberg, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Bundaberg, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1960

Address: 30 George Street, , Bundaberg Queensland, 4670

Lutheranism in Bundaberg was established in 1873. Lutheran Pastor Carl Hellmuth of Maryborough visited Bundaberg to preach, administer Holy Communion, and baptise - the first formal Lutheran services in Bundaberg. In 1877 monthly services commenced in a shop in Bundaberg and in 1882 Bundaberg's first Lutheran church was built in Tanitha…

Read More

Burwood, VIC - St Benedict's Catholic

Burwood, VIC - St Benedict's Catholic

Year Built: 1957

Address: 301 Warrigal Road, , Burwood Victoria, 3125

The first Catholic Church in the Shire of Nunawading was built on land granted to the Catholic Church in 1854 at the north east corner of Warrigal (Boundary) and Riversdale (Moloneys) Roads. In July 1855 the Catholic Church applied for a building grant towards the estimated cost of £300 for a brick building with slate roof, and they…

Read More

Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Corner Toorak & Bowen Street, , Camberwell South Victoria, 3124

The establishment of a Church in South Camberwell was mooted in July, 1916, when the Vicar of our Mother Church, St. John's, Camberwell, the Rev. A. Roscoe Wilson, suggested to the Archbishop the purchase of land in the district for that purpose. It was recorded that the erection of a Church Hall in this area, to be known as St. Mary's,…

Read More

Canungra, QLD - Uniting

Canungra, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: 31 Appel Street, , Canungra Queensland, 4275

A plaque reads, " Canungra Memorial Methodist Church To the Glory of God in Remembrance of fallen of World War 11 Opened and dedicated on 5th June 1954 by President of Conference Rev C.E. Holland Minister Rev A.L. Rose".

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - Pioneer's Presbyterian

Cheltenham, VIC - Pioneer's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: 8 Park Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

From TROVE 3 Sep 1886. The Cheltenham Presbyterian congregation on last Wednesday evening held a conversazione, to show their appreciation of the services ot the late pastor, the Hey. D. H. Ballantyne, who after 17 years' ministration, working in connexion with the Brighton church Cheltenham being a missionary station had resigned the…

Read More

Chester Hill, NSW - Presbyterian

Chester Hill, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1954

Address: 64 Priam Street, , Chester Hill New South Wales, 2162

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by N. Chivas Esq 3rd April 1954".

Read More

Claremont, TAS - St Bernard's Catholic

Claremont, TAS - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1958

Address: 27 Wyndham Road, , Claremont Tasmania, 7011

The Marist Fathers took charge of St. Bernard's Parish, Claremont, when Father O'Halloran, SM, came as parish priest in February 1958. Archbishop Guilford Young blessed and opened St. Bernard's Church, in Wyndham Road on April 20, 1958. Working bees organised by Father J. C. Wallis (Claremont was served from Glenorchy before the Marists…

Read More

Clarence Gardens, SA - St Anthony's of Padua Catholic

Clarence Gardens, SA - St Anthony's of Padua Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: Castle Street, , Clarence Gardens South Australia, 5039

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 May 1959 by the Most Reverend M. Beovich D.D. Phd.

Read More

Clayfield, QLD - St Mark's Anglican

Clayfield, QLD - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: 103 Bonney Avenue, , Clayfield Queensland, 4011

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Greater Glory of God the War Memorial Church of Saint Mark the Evangelist. This stone was set and blessed by John Coadjutor Bishop of Brisbane on the twentieth day of October 1960. Rev CJE Hogan Rector." A plaque reads, " A.M.D.G. The War Memorial Church of St Mark the Evangelist was consecrated by…

Read More

Cloncurry, QLD - Uniting

Cloncurry, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: 19 Meldrum Street, , Cloncurry Queensland, 4824

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Rev C.G. Browne LTh Chairman of Northern District Minister Rev C. G. Slater. 4th April 1959".

Read More

Coburg, VIC - St Alban's & Augustines Merri bek Catholic

Coburg, VIC - St Alban's & Augustines Merri bek Catholic

Year Built: 1957

Address: 250 Reynard Street, , Coburg Victoria, 3058

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Most Reverend J.J. Booth CMG MC DD 31st March 1957 The Reverend F.H. Morton Th Schol VICAR Wystan Widdows Architect John Newbold Builder".

Read More

Coburg, VIC - Uniting

Coburg, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Victoria & Louisa Streets, , Coburg Victoria, 3058

Read More

Cohuna, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Cohuna, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1953

Address: Mead Street, , Cohuna Victoria, 3568

A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone was laid and blessed by Most Rev B.D. Stewart DD BA LLD Bishop of Sandhurst on 29th November 1953 Rev J.F. Egan Pastor T.A. Power Architect W.A. O'Donnell Builder". A plaque reads, " The Church of Immaculate Conception was erected in 1904. Architect was Mr A. Bode and contractor was Mr…

Read More

Colac, VIC - Baptist

Colac, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1958

Address: Corner Dennis & Hessie Streets, Colac, Victoria, 3250

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 February 1958.

Read More

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - Uniting

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 560 Goodwood Road, , Colonel Light Gardens South Australia, 5041

The land was bought for $1,211.00 (£25.00) and other than the names of the trustees, little is known of the first seventy five years. The old Church was built in 1854, and is one of the oldest suburban Churches in the State. When the section of ground opposite was purchased by the Government and sub divided into residential blocks and…

Read More

Coolamon, NSW - St Peter's Uniting

Coolamon, NSW - St Peter's Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: 35 Loughnan Street, , Coolamon New South Wales, 2701

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Colin S Dyce 23rd October 1957.

Read More

Coorparoo, QLD - Uniting

Coorparoo, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1952

Address: 260 Cavendish Road, , Coorparoo Queensland, 4151

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid 1st November 1952 by Rev I.N. Deller. President Queensland Confederation Superintendent Cooparoo Church".

Read More

Coorporoo, QLD - Presbyterian

Coorporoo, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1951

Address: 37 Emlyn Street, , Coorparoo Queensland, 4151

Presbyterian services in Coorparoo were held from 1926 in the Shire Hall under the care of the Kirk Session of St John's, Annerley, but within a few years a church was built and in 1931 Coorparoo became a separate charge.1 The present brick church was opened on 11 November 1951.

Read More

Coorporoo, QLD - St Stephen's Anglican

Coorporoo, QLD - St Stephen's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 343 Cavendish Road, , Coorporoo Queensland, 4151

The foundation stone of the present building was laid on 7 July 1957. It was opened and dedicated on 27 April 1958, having been designed by the Brisbane architect, H.G. Driver.

Read More

Corinella, VIC - St George's Anglican

Corinella, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1952

Address: 24 Smythe Street, , Corinella Victoria, 3984

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Right Reverend D.B. Blackwood M.A. TH.D. V.D. 9th October 1952. Vicar The Reverend J.H. Shilton TH.L.".

Read More

Corryong, VIC Sacred Heart Catholic

Corryong, VIC Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1955

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. Sacred Heart Church was solemnly blessed and opened by Most Rev Bernard Stewart DD LLB Bishop of Sandhurst December 4th 1955. Rev G.L. Sait Parish Priest Alan G. Robertson & Associated Architects".

Read More

Cowra, NSW - St John's Anglican

Cowra, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1955

Address: 98 Kendall Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

The foundation stone was laid on 29 October 1955 by his Excellency the Governor of NSW Lieutenant General Sir John Northcott KC MC.

Read More

Cranbourne, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Cranbourne, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1951

Address: Corner Sladen & Russell Streets, , Cranbourne Victoria, 3977

The Church was built in 1951.

Read More

Croydon Park, SA - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Croydon Park, SA - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: 286 Torrens Road, , Croydon Park South Australia, 5008

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 May 1959 by Mrs J.H. Stunell.

Read More

Croydon Park, SA - Uniting

Croydon Park, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: 310 Torrens Road, , Croydon Park South Australia, 5008

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 May 1959 by Mrs J.H. Stunell.

Read More

Cygnet, TAS - Uniting

Cygnet, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1951

Address: 41 Mary Street, , Cygnet Tasmania, 7112

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid on 15 December 1951 by the Reverend A.W.R. Milligan Chairman of the Methodist Assembly Tasmania. It replaced a weatherboard building. Overnight services were being conducted during 1864 and the need for a chapel was felt. A building was constructed during the 1870s. During 1902…

Read More

Dapto, NSW - Uniting

Dapto, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 122 Princes Highway, , Dapto New South Wales, 2530

A Foundation stone reads, " Unveiled to the Glory of God by Mrs Catherine Livingston 20th September 1958".

Read More

Darwin City, NT - Darwin Memorial Uniting

Darwin City, NT - Darwin Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: 78 Smith Street, , Darwin City Northern Territory, 0800

The Church has been a continuing congregation since 1873. A Methodist congregation was started in co-operation with the Congregational Church. The church was built in Knuckey Street on the corner with Mitchell Street. In 1940, the Presbyterian Church purchased land in Smith Street and, in co-operation with the existing Methodist…

Read More

Darwin City, NT - St Nicholas Greek Orthodox

Darwin City, NT - St Nicholas Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1953

Address: 90 Cavenagh Street, , Darwin City Northern Territory, 0800

On 27th September 1953 the foundation stone of the current Greek Orthodox Church in Darwin, St Nicholas, was laid by His Grace Archbishop Theophylactos Papathanasopoulos. Two years later, the Greek Orthodox Community of Darwin was formally established. Two locals Petros Mihailou, and his son, Michael Mihailou, put many hours of…

Read More

Dee Why, NSW - St Kevin's Catholic

Dee Why, NSW - St Kevin's Catholic

Year Built: 1960

Address: 50 Oaks Avenue, , Dee Why New South Wales, 2099

The Parish of St. Kevin was established in 1928 when it was detached from Manly. The current Church was built by Judge and Rock in precast concrete segments. Each precast section, which is 1 in. thick, was stressed together by single wires anchored against the steel pipes at each surface edge to distribute the anchorage forces…

Read More

Deepdene, VIC - Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic

Deepdene, VIC - Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 10 Whitehorse Road, , Deepdene Victoria, 3103

The first building, on the Whitehorse Rd site, which is now part of the school, was used by the parish as both a church and school. The foundation stone of the first church was blessed by Archbishop Mannix on 26 November 1922. The construction of the current church began in the 1950s, when Fr Godwin was the parish priest. It was…

Read More

Devonport, TAS - Church of Christ

Devonport, TAS - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1952

Address: 113 William Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310

In 1872 the church moved from Northdown to Latrobe a town of some importance during this era. Early in 1879 W. Moffit visited New Ground near Moriarty a populous agricultural district. He shared the gospel message and in a short time a gathering of people became Christians and were baptized. A Church of Christ was established in 1880 and…

Read More

Devonport, TAS - St Columba Presbyterian

Devonport, TAS - St Columba Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: 13 Edward Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310

The first Presbyterian church in Devonport briefly used the Congregational Church and then the Devonport Town Hall. Throughout the building of the Church many members of the Board of Management and Session, plus other committees were led by Rev "Bert" Scrimgeour who, with practical knowledge, endeared himself to all who knew him. The…

Read More

Dingee, VIC - Uniting

Dingee, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: 19 King Street, , Dingee Victoria, 3571

The Church was built in 1959.

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Church of Christ

Doncaster, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1956

Address: Doncaster Road, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The first service was held in the home of Thomas Porter senr on Sunday August 30 1863. In addition to the meetings at the Porter home, gospel services were held in the Chapel owned by the Baptists who had discontinued meetings. The Church commenced in 1863 and by 1864 a small weatherboard chapel was built on the present site. In 1889 a…

Read More

Dookie, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Dookie, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: Turnley Street, , Dookie Victoria, 3646

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Miss Jean Knox 14th June 1957 - Architect Keith Reid - Builder M.J. Hall".

Read More

Double Bay, NSW - St Columba Uniting

Double Bay, NSW - St Columba Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 53 Ocean Street, , Double Bay New South Wales, 2028

The foundation stone was laid by Reverend E Pollard B.A. B.D on 28 August 1960. The Church is now closed.

Read More

Drouin, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Drouin, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1959

Address: 1 Church Street, , Drouin Victoria, 3818

From an unknown date until November 1880, the Presbyterians of Drouin worshipped in the Anglican Church building, then situated at 30 Grant Street. A Presbyterian Charge was established in the district as early as 1876 and that the first service was conducted by Rev. W. L. Morton at the "Lardner Track School" in October of that year.…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - All Saints' Anglican (Former)

East Malvern, VIC - All Saints' Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Olive & Darling Road, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 February 1960 by the Most Reverend Frank Woods D.D. M.A. The Architect was Louis Williams.

Read More