Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1951 and 1960


Mt Cotton, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Mt Cotton, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1951

Address: 1257 Mt Cotton Road, , Mt Cotton Queensland, 4165

A new Lutheran Church was considered in the 1940s. The old traditional German structure adjacent to the cemetery on Wuduru Road was in a state of disrepair. A new timber church was located opposite the school and officially opened on Palm Sunday 1951.

Read More

Mt Isa, QLD - St James the Great &  St Luke's Anglican

Mt Isa, QLD - St James the Great & St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Station Street, , Mt Isa Queensland, 4825

In 1954 a rectory was erected in the grounds and plans were afoot for a new church building. To provide room, the little church was moved - this time to Soldiers Hill, emerging there as St. Oswald's, where it remained for several years before being sold for removal. Bishop Sheville laid the foundation stone for the new St. James in May…

Read More

Mummulgum, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic (Former)

Mummulgum, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1951

Address: 8 Bingeebeebra Road, , Mummulgum New South Wales, 2469

A Foundation stone reads, " The foundation stone of this Church of Our Lady of Fatima was solemnly blessed and laid by Most Rev P Farrelly D.D. Bishop of Lismore 8th July 1951. The Church is now in private hands.

Read More

Myrtleford, VIC - Uniting

Myrtleford, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: Corner Albert & Myrtle Streets, , Myrtleford Victoria, 3737

The Church was originally a Methodist church. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 May 1958.

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St John's Lutheran

Naracoorte, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1952

Address: 1 Magarey Crescent, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 November 1952 by Rev J.F. Hansen.

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - Uniting

Naracoorte, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1956

Address: 9 Foster Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 September 1956 by A.C. De Garis Esq J.P.

Read More

Narromine, NSW - St Mary's Anglican

Narromine, NSW - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 146 Danaloo Street, , Narromine New South Wales, 2821

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Right Reverend K. Leslie Lord Bishop of Bathurst October 27th 1959. H.G. Redshaw Rector".

Read More

Neutral Bay, NSW - St Augustine Anglican

Neutral Bay, NSW - St Augustine Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 75 Shellcove Road, , Neutral Bay New South Wales, 2089

The Church is now known as the Bridge Church. A Foundation stone reads, To the Glory of God and in memory of those who gave their lives and all who served in World War 1939 - 1945 this stone was set by The Most Reverend H.W.K. Mowll CMG DD Archbishop of Sydney Primate of Australia on February fifteenth 1958. C Kenderine ThL Rector".

Read More

Noble Park, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Noble Park, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1952

Address: Cnr Wallarano Drive & Arena Square, , Noble Park Victoria, 3174

For the period from 1912 to 1915 the (Church) school was the sole occupant of the church hall. This was to change as on Sunday 27 June 1915 the little church officially opened its doors for the inaugural service led by Fr Veal. The Vicar committed to holding monthly services in the new church. The Vicar and his helpers were now faced…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1955

Address: 139 Archer Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The church was founded in 1930 as a mission-outreach congregation and to serve the needs of the students and staff of the Immanuel Seminary and Immanuel College. After about 20 years of meeting in the old Methodist church building on Tynte Street, the congregation constructed a new building, designed by one of its young members, [Sir]…

Read More

North Albury, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

North Albury, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: 330 Swan Street, , North Albury New South Wales, 2640

The Sacred Heart Parish of North Albury was established in 1955, with the Rev. Fr. S.A. Bongiorno as the Parish Priest. The “presbytery” was actually a house in Kokoda St North Albury, and all meetings and general business was conducted from there. The Church was finished in 1959 at a cost of ₤39,000. The bricks for the church came…

Read More

North Parramatta, NSW - St Monica's Catholic

North Parramatta, NSW - St Monica's Catholic

Year Built: 1960

Address: 8 Daking Street, , North Parramatta New South Wales, 2151

St Monica's Catholic Primary was established in 1892 by the Sisters of Mercy. It consisted of a small lean-to at the back of the Sacristy. The first Pastor was Fr James Joseph Mahoney. The present church was built in 1960 on the site of the Ancient Inn which had been pulled down. A wall plaque reads, " This plaque commemorates the…

Read More

Nullawil, VIC - Uniting

Nullawil, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 1 Quambatook Road, , Nullawil Victoria, 3529

A Foundation stone reads, " To the glory of God this stone was laid by Mrs James Bartram a Pioneer of the district 18th July 1958".

Read More

Numurkah, VIC - St George's Anglican

Numurkah, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Brenton Street, , Numurkah Victoria, 3636

The earliest Church of England services were held in the dining room of the original Numurkah Hotel, a weatherboard building which occupied the whole of the site, where stands today the present Numurkah Hotel and the old State Savings Bank occupied by Maurice McNamara & Co. In the early 1880's services were held in the State School…

Read More

Ocean Grove, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Ocean Grove, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Draper Street, , Ocean Grove Victoria, 3226

The first Church of St. Peter's was opened on 12 January 1896. The tender for the current Church for £8,337 was awarded to H.R. Gallagher of Ballarat. The Foundation stone was laid on 8 May 1960 by General, the Honourable Sir Edmund Herring Governor and Chief Justice of Victoria. The Church was dedicated on the 26th November 1960 by…

Read More

Ormond, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Ormond, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1955

Address: Corner North & Booran Roads, , Ormond Victoria, 3204

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 July 1937 by the Most Reverend Frederick Waldegrave Head M.C. The Architect was Louis R. Williams and the builder was M.R. Peters. The first service held in the Church building was on Sunday June 14th 1925. The current Church was completed and opened on October 8th 1955 and the Christian Education…

Read More

Ormond, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Ormond, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 76 Glen Orme Avenue, , Ormond Victoria, 3204

A Foundation stone reads, " This Church was blessed and opened by his Grace The Most Rev D Mannix D.D. LLD Archbishop of Melbourne on December 4th 1955 Rev J OBrien P.P. ".

Read More

Padstow, NSW - St Therese's Catholic

Padstow, NSW - St Therese's Catholic

Year Built: 1960

Address: 11 Harvey Avenue, , Padstow New South Wales, 2211

Padstow was made a separate parish from St Luke' s Revesby in 1962 after Fr Patrick Carr had secured the land for the Parish building and built the original school and Church, with the voluntary help of parishioners. The beginnings of a Catholic Church in Padstow, can be traced to a small wooden chapel at One Tree Point, which was part of…

Read More

Pascoe Vale South, VIC - Uniting

Pascoe Vale South, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: 10 Cumberland Road, , Pascoe Vale South Victoria, 3044

In 1911 the Presbyterian Church held its first services conducted in the Pascoe Vale area in two school rooms, rented on Sundays, on the corner of Cumberland Road and Gaffney Street. In 1930 a temporary church building was opened on the corner of Bell Street and Wills Street and was named St Andrew’s Bell Street West Presbyterian Church.…

Read More

Paynsville, VIC - St Peter's by the Lake Anglican

Paynsville, VIC - St Peter's by the Lake Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: 35 Newlands Drive, , Paynsville Victoria, 3880

The land upon which the Anglican Church of St Peter by the Lake, Paynesville is built was made available by a Crown Grant in 1892 for the Diocese of Melbourne. In 1958 an architect Wystan Windows, a leader in ecclesiastical architecture in Victoria was engaded. The tender for construction of the building was let to a Gippsland firm,…

Read More

Peak Hill, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Peak Hill, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1957

Address: 71 Derribong St, , Peak Hill New South Wales, 2869

Read More

Petrie Terrace - QLD - St Thomas More Catholic

Petrie Terrace - QLD - St Thomas More Catholic

Year Built: 1951

Address: Chapel Street, , Petrie Terrace Queensland, 4000

A Foundation stone inaugurating the Parish of St Thomas More was blessed and laid by Most Rev J. Duhig D.D. Archbishop of Brisbane. June 3rd 1951". A further foundation stone reads, " This Church of St Thomas More extended and renovated by the combined efforts of the Parishioners and the Italian Community was solemnly blessed by His…

Read More

Pinnaroo, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Pinnaroo, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1956

Address: 49 Hensley Street, , Pinnaroo South Australia, 5304

The Foundation stone was laid on 15 July 1956. The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia first conducted services in Pinnaroo in July 1906. Early services were conducted in various homes of the local congregation. The Zion Lutheran Church was dedicated on 1Oth April 191 0. The first resident minister was Pastor 0. P. Kloeden.

Read More

Proserpine, QLD - St Catherine's Catholic

Proserpine, QLD - St Catherine's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 126 Main Street, , Proserpine Queensland, 4800

A plaque reads, " This plaque commemorating the Centenary of the first Catholic Church built in Proserpine on land donated by Joseph and Charles Busettin, was blessed by the Most Reverend Bishop Michael Putney D.D. 27th November 2004. Parish Priest Rev Jose Koyickal CM". A Foundation stone reads, " Most Reverend H.E. Ryan Bishop of…

Read More

Proserpine, QLD - St Paul's Anglican

Proserpine, QLD - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 8 Main Street, , Proserpine Queensland, 4800

Church plans were drawn when Messrs. Tunbridge, Tunbridge & Lynch were instructed to draw up plans for the proposed Church of England. The Building Committee asked Thomas Heron of Bowen to do a rough plan. He was well-known and respected, as he had been contracted to build many buildings in the Proserpine district. Mr. Heron was given…

Read More

Queanbeyan, NSW - St Raphael's Catholic

Queanbeyan, NSW - St Raphael's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 47 Lowe Street, , Queanbeyan New South Wales, 2620

‘The original church, St. Gregory’s, built of rubblestone in 1850 is based upon a Pugin design. A new church was opened in 1956 (St. Raphael’s).’

Read More

Raceview, QLD - Congregational

Raceview, QLD - Congregational

Year Built: 1959

Address: 117 Wildey Street, , Raceview Queensland, 4305

A Foundation stone reads, " n Dedication to the Glory of God this stone was unveiled by Mrs J. Marsh Senr on Nov 7 1959. In the Presence of Rev T. Rees Thomas MABD President Queensland Congregational Union Hon Lay Pastor Ald R. T. Edwards".

Read More

Reservoir, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian

Reservoir, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1958

Address: Corner Edwardes & Compton Streets, , Reservoir Victoria, 3073

In 1919 the land was purchased and three trustees were appointed. By the middle of 1922 a loan of £200 had been approved and by November work commenced on a weatherboard church in Ashley Street. The Builders were Messrs Mathieson, Fyfe, Irwin along with many volunteers. In 1958 a building fund was established for a new church.

Read More

Reservoir, VIC - St Gabriel's Catholic

Reservoir, VIC - St Gabriel's Catholic

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner of Spring & Viola Streets, , Reservoir Victoria, 3073

The parish was founded in 1936. The first recorded Mass in Reservoir was celebrated about 1919 1920 in what was then the Church of England Hall. The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace Archbishop Simonds on 24 January 1960. The church was built by Fred Dixon. The original name for the parish decided by the late Father Ryan of…

Read More

Roma, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Roma, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1954

Address: 35 Street, , Roma Queensland, 4455

The initial Church site was in Quintin Street (in tine vicinity of the present Bungil Shire Council Chambers) and was the gift of one Joseph McGhee. The building contractor was Mr. Joseph Stringfellow, who constructed the building for just over £300. (Presbyterians had been using the Town Hall for services). The Church was opened and…

Read More

Rosanna, VIC - Uniting

Rosanna, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1955

Address: 21 Arden Crescent, , Rosanna Victoria, 3084

The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend E.H. McLean Shugg B.A. on the 14th of May 1955.

Read More

Sale, VIC - St Columba's Uniting

Sale, VIC - St Columba's Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: MacAlister Street, , Sale Victoria, 3850

The first Presbyterian service was held on 29 January 1854 at the Woolpack Inn, Sale.1 A permanent church building was erected in 1859 and this was demolished in 1972. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God in Thankful Remembrance of the Presbyterian Pioneers of Gippsland this stone was set by Charles Cyril Login a Grandson of…

Read More

Scarness, QLD - Presbyterian

Scarness, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1960

Address: 5 Denmans Camp Road, , Scarness Queensland, 4655

As far back as 1922, Presbyterian worship was conducted in the Scarness Picture Theatre by ministers travelling from St Stephen's Church, Maryborough. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Greater Glory of God this stone was laid by Rev Professor H.S.R. Innes Dean Faculty of Theology Presbyterian Church of Queensland 19th Day of March…

Read More

Seaforth, NSW - Baptist

Seaforth, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1952

Address: 31 Frenchs Forest Road, , Seaforth New South Wales, 2092

The Church was formally established on Sunday 30th October 1949 and after land was purchased and a Church built was officially opened on Saturday the 8th of November 1952.

Read More

Springvale, VIC - Uniting

Springvale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1953

Address: 47 Balmoral Ave, , Springvale Victoria, 3171

A Foundation stone reads, " Laid to the Glory of God by Rev H. Clarnette Pres Conference 4 - 2 - 53. A further Foundation stone on the Church Hall reads, " Upon this stone set by Rev C. Kingston Daws E.D. conference Managing Secretary. This building is raised for the extension of God's Kingdom through Jesus Christ. Minster Rev W.J. Turner…

Read More

St Lucia, QLD - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

St Lucia, QLD - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Year Built: 1960

Address: 87 Central Avenue, , St Lucia Queensland, 4067

A Foundation stone reads, " Church of St Thomas Aquinas This Foundation stone was blessed and laid by Most Reverend James Duhig D.D. KCMG Archbishop of Brisbane on 13th March 1960. Rev A.J. Hogan P.P.". A further foundation stone reads. Church of St Thomas Aquinas A.M.D.G. Memorial to the Members of the Royal Australian Air Force who…

Read More

St Marys, SA - Baptist

St Marys, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1956

Address: 5 Crystal Avenue, , St Marys South Australia, 5042

The Baptist Union granted a fellowship to the St Marys Baptist Congregation in 1953 with their first church being an iron and timber building relocated from Underdale to a site in St Marys. The current church was constructed adjacent to the original structure in 1965. The church operated a community kindergarten from 1953 to 1981. The…

Read More

Strathalbyn, SA - Lutheran

Strathalbyn, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1954

Address: Commercial Street, , Strathalbyn South Australia, 5255

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 May 1954.

Read More

Strathfield, NSW - St Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Cathedral

Strathfield, NSW - St Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Cathedral

Year Built: 1954

Address: 3 Vernon Street, , Strathfield New South Wales, 2135

In 1949, land was purchased and the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St Peter and St Paul was consecrated in December 1953. The Cathedral was built on the Mount Vernon Estate. The Mount Vernon Estate was formed from land owned by brothers John and Donald Vernon, original purchasers of the Redmire Estate. Building was commenced in 1951 and…

Read More

Strathmerton, VIC Uniting (Former)

Strathmerton, VIC Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1960

Address: 77 Murray Valley Highway, , Strathmerton Victoria, 3641

A Foundation stone read, "To the Glory of God and in memory of those who pioneered this work in this district this stone was laid on 9th September 1960".

Read More