Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1961 and 1970


Snug, TAS - St John's Anglican

Snug, TAS - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1969

Address: Frost Street, , Snug Tasmania, 7054

In 1927 the Church was built and was dedicated in April 1927 having cost £400. In 1967 St. John's was burnt down in disasterous bush fires. In 1969 the new brick modern design was constructed in April. The church cost $28,000 and was designed by Harry Oldmeadow. It has a cross of burnt timber. The Church is now closed.

Read More

South Launceston, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

South Launceston, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 2 Hobart Road, , South Launceston Tasmania, 7249

Tenders were called for the erection of a new church (8 being received in all) and, upon the recommendation of the architect, that of E. Lewis and Sons (Roy and Geoff) at a figure, of £21,995 was accepted. A loan with the M. L. C. Assurance Company Ltd. was negotiated for £15,000 under the guarantee of the Diocese. A Foundation stone…

Read More

Springhurst, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Springhurst, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1964

Address: 116 Anzac Road, , Springhurst Victoria, 3682

A Foundation stone reads, "Dedicated to the Glory of God on 22.3.1964 by Rev H B Freeman MA President of Conference."

Read More

St Ives, NSW - Uniting

St Ives, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1963

Address: Douglas Street, , St Ives New South Wales, 2075

Read More

St Lucia, QLD - Chinese Christian (Former Methodist)

St Lucia, QLD - Chinese Christian (Former Methodist)

Year Built: 1962

Address: 83 Ryans Road, , St Lucia Queensland, 4067

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by the President of the Conference Rev N.H. Grimmett LTh on 25th February 1962. St Lucia Methodist Church Rev J. Tainton BA BD Rev R.T. Nugent DiP DO Ministers E.J. Coulter Secretary G.H. Beer Treasurer".

Read More

St Lucia, QLD - Christ Church Anglican

St Lucia, QLD - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1962

Address: 3 Baty Street, , St Lucia Queensland, 4067

The Church was constructed in 1962. The side walls of the church are of a concertina form, blades of brick along the line of the building with short window walls across the line of the building, the glass facing the western front. The window walls are trimmed in light coloured bricks and provide light and ventilation to the interior, as…

Read More

Stanhope, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Stanhope, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1967

Address: Brand Street, , Stanhope Victoria, 3623

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 July 1967 by the Bishop of Bendigo the Right Reverend R.E. Richards M.A.

Read More

Streatham, VIC - St Columba's Catholic

Streatham, VIC - St Columba's Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Address: 50 Campbell Street, , Streatham Victoria, 3351

An historical plaque reads in part, "The Church was opened n 1912 by Bishop Joseph Higgins D.D. Rev Michael Barrett P.P. The wooden church was used continually until the current Church was erected in 1968 by Bishop James Collins & Fr L Gallagher P.P. The Church was dedicated as a memorial to all those who gave their lives in the service…

Read More

Tangambalanga, VIC - Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic

Tangambalanga, VIC - Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic

Year Built: 1962

Address: Kiewa East Road, , Tangambalanga Victoria, 3691

A Foundation tone reads, " Deo Gratais Our Lady Helps of Christians Church This stone was blessed and laid by Most Rev Bernard D. Stewart DD BA LLB Bishop of Sandhurst 19th December 1962. Rev Fr M. Bowman PP".

Read More

Tanunda, SA - St Aidan's Anglican

Tanunda, SA - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner Murray & Fiedler Streets, , Tanunda South Australia, 5352

The Foundation stone was laid on 4 June 1961 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed Bishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Templestowe, VIC - Uniting

Templestowe, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1962

Address: Atkinson Street, , Templestowe Victoria, 3106

The Church property contains a c.1895 single-storey weatherboard church and the much larger 1962 brick church. The c.1895 church is an example of the simple Victorian Carpenter Gothic style. It has a gable roofed nave with metal ridge ventilators and a projecting entry porch to the front. The front gable ends have a simple timber gable…

Read More

Tennant Creek, NT - Uniting

Tennant Creek, NT - Uniting

Year Built: 1965

Address: 58 - 60 Patterson Street, , Tennant Creek Northern Territory, 0860

Opened in December of 1966 and designed by Mr. A A (Fred) Soars, an engineer for Peko Mines, Tennant Creek. The dedication was carried out by the Chairman of the Board of the United Church in North Australia and the Territories, the Rev. C Venton Hayman. The Resident Minister then was Rev. John O’Reilly. Except for certain specialist…

Read More

Thirroul, NSW - Uniting (Former)

Thirroul, NSW - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1963

Address: 2 Lachlan Street, , Thirroul New South Wales, 2515

The Church was closed in 1999 when the congregation moved to Bulli Uniting Church to combine with the Northern Illawarra Congregation. The Architecs were McConnel, Smith & Johnson and builders were Hughes Bros. Pty Ltd.

Read More

Tintinara, SA - Uniting

Tintinara, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: Wendt Terrace, , Tintinara South Australia, 5266

The Church was built by and for the Parkin Mission for the Congregational Church in 1966 replacing its former building which was purchased and used by the CWA. Early in the 20th Century the Congregationalists and the Methodists agreed that in towns along the Dukes highway between Tailem Bend and Bordertown would be serviced by the…

Read More

Toongabbie, NSW - St Anthony's of Padua Catholic

Toongabbie, NSW - St Anthony's of Padua Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 27 Aurelia Street, , Toongabbie New South Wales, 2146

On 27th May 1928 a meeting took place in the Cameron home consisting of the Catholics of Toongabbie, Monsignor O’Gorman of Parramatta and Father Furlong where they decided to raise funds to purchase a block of land for a Church.a meeting took place in the Cameron home consisting of the Catholics of Toongabbie, Monsignor O’Gorman of…

Read More

Toowoomba, QLD - Good Shepherd Lutheran

Toowoomba, QLD - Good Shepherd Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Glenvale Road, , Toowoomba Queensland, 4350

A Foundation stone was laid on 14 July 1963 by Pastor K. Marquart.

Read More

Torquay, VIC - St Therese Catholic

Torquay, VIC - St Therese Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: Geelong Road, , Torquay Victoria, 3228

In 1958 the small congregation of Catholics of Torquay decided to build a church. Till that time priests from St Mary’s in Geelong and later from St Bernard’s in Belmont had celebrated Mass irregularly in the Torquay Improvement Association Hall.

Read More

Turramurra, NSW - Church of Christ

Turramurra, NSW - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1965

Address: 217 Bobbin Head Road, , Turramurra New South Wales, 2074

A Foundation stone reads, To the Glory of God 27th February 1965".

Read More

Ulverstone, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

Ulverstone, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: 4 Alexandra Road, , Ulverstone Tasmania, 7315

In 1961, seventy-five years after the opening of Ulverstone’s first Catholic church a modern church was built on a site opposite the old building. A Foundation stone reads, " This church erected by the Catholic people of Ulverstone in honour of the sacred heart of Jesus was solomly blessed and opened by his grace the Archbishop of Hobart…

Read More

Unley, SA - Greek Orthodox

Unley, SA - Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1962

Address: 50 Oxford Terrace, , Unley South Australia, 5061

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 February 1962 by his Grace Archbishop Ezekiel.

Read More

Uralla, NSW - St Jospeh's Catholic

Uralla, NSW - St Jospeh's Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 1 Wood Street, , Uralla New South Wales, 2358

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone commemorates the Solemn blessing of St Joseph's Church by the Most Rev Edward I. Doody D.D. Bishop of Armidale 7th May 1967 - Very Rev John M. O'Connor P.P. Pastor Fowell Mansfield Jarvis & Maclurcan , Architects - E.E. Lahey & Company Ply Ltd Builder".

Read More

Vermont, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Vermont, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 553 Mitcham Road, , Vermont Victoria, 3133

The foundation stone of a small Church to be called the Church of St.Clement was laid by the Dean of Melbourne in a rural district about our miles beyond the school-house at Nunawading.. That extract from the Churc of England Messenger of June, 1872, marks the first step towards the establishment of a Church at Vermont. The Nunawading…

Read More

Walcha, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Walcha, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1963

Address: 5N South Street, , Walcha New South Wales, 2354

The original Church was built with stone quarried from the demolished homestead at the Walcha station, Villa Wolka, and was completed in 1866. Originally known as St Paul's Church, it was renamed St Andrew's in the 1870s. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by John Stoward Moyes CMG MA Th.D D.D. D.LITT Lord…

Read More

Wallerawang, NSW - Church of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Wallerawang, NSW - Church of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1964

Address: Rose Lane, , Wallerawang New South Wales, 2845

A Foundation stone reads, " This Sacred heart School was solemnly blessed and opened by The Most Rev A.R.E. Thomas D.D. Bishop of Bathurst 6th September 1964 Rev M Connaughton P.P.".

Read More

Warracknabeal, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Warracknabeal, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: Corner Lyle & Anderson Street, , Warracknabeal Victoria, 3393

Prior to 1875 Priests from Ararat serviced this part of Victoria as there was no established Catholic Church. Services were held in Scots Wool Shed and the local Court House.* On 21 st November, 1885, an advertisement appeared in the Warracknabeal Newspaper inviting "Tenders for builders for erection of brick Catholic Church".* On 4…

Read More

West Beach, SA - Baptist

West Beach, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1966

Address: Burbridge Road, , West Beach South Australia, 5024

The Foundation stone was laid on 7 November 1965 by Reverend Leslie Gomm.

Read More

West Tamworth, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

West Tamworth, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1970

Address: 18B Matthews Street, , West Tamworth New South Wales, 2340

A plaque reads, " To the Glory of God this plaque was unveiled by the Rev James Bruce 0n 7th June 1970 Minster R.E. McLeod Session Clerk R.N. Hamilton".

Read More

West Wyalong, NSW - Immanuel Lutheran

West Wyalong, NSW - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1968

Address: 15 Park Street, , West Wyalong New South Wales, 2671

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 September 1968 by Reverend N.C. Sander.

Read More

Wilston, QLD - Presbyterian

Wilston, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1963

Address: 28 McGregor Street, , Wilston Queensland, 4051

A plaque reads, " Wilston Presbyterian Church dedicated to the Glory of God by Rev Wm Young B.A. 23rd November 1963".

Read More

Windsor Gardens, SA - Uniting

Windsor Gardens, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1965

Address: Pitman Road, , Windsor Gardens South Australia, 5087

A Foundation stone was laid on 4 July 1965 which read, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by W.H. & B.C. Pitman Foundation members of the Gillies Plains Methodist Church Trust on 4th July 1965.

Read More

Winton, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Winton, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 51 Cork Street, , Winton Queensland, 4735

The Church has seen three church buildings. The second was blessed by Bishop Terence Mc Guire. In 1935 he blessed the Foundation Stone for a new St Patrick's Church. The new church was completed in 1939 and was blessed and opened on 7th May by Bishop H.E. Ryan the second Bishop of Townsville. This Church was burnt down in 1967. A…

Read More

Wodonga, VIC - St John's Anglican

Wodonga, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1965

Address: 225 Beechworth Road, , Wodonga Victoria, 3690

The church was relocated to its present position and renamed St John’s and a dedication Service was held on 6th November 1965.

Read More

Wollongong, NSW - Sacred Heart Chapel Catholic

Wollongong, NSW - Sacred Heart Chapel Catholic

Year Built: 1965

Address: 32 Stewart Street, , Wollongong New South Wales, 2500

The Church was designed by Gino Volpato and built by Sabemo and was opened in 1966. A low pitched gable roof embraces a rectangular nave with and entrance at the south end, ancillary rooms at the north end and broad verandas protecting the extensive glazing of the east and west side walls. The ceiling follows the roof lines, sloping…

Read More

Woolgoolga, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Woolgoolga, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Address: Cnr Scarborough & Hastings Streets, , Woolgoolga New South Wales, 2456

The Parish of Coffs Harbour, Diocese of Lismore, was formed on December 9, 1906. The original parish embraced a stretch of country skirting the coast including the townships of Coffs Harbour and Woolgoolga, as well as the districts of Moonee and Corindi. In early 1968 the erection of a new Catholic Church for the people of Woolgoolga…

Read More

Wooloowin, QLD - Holy Cross Catholic

Wooloowin, QLD - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Address: 69 Chalk Street, , Wooloowin Queensland, 4030

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 June 1968 by the Most Reverend P.M. O'Donnell Archbishop of Brisbane.

Read More

Woomelang, VIC - Uniting

Woomelang, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: Hopetoun Sea Lake Road, , Woomelang Victoria, 3485

A wall plaque reads, " Woomelang Memorial Methodist Church was opened and dedicated to the Glory of God on the 27th August 1966 by the Rev R.J. Philp Lth President of the Conference".

Read More

Wycheproof, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Wycheproof, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 45 Webster Street, , Wycheproof Victoria, 3527

The first Church built at Mount Wycheproof was the Roman Catholic church, it was opened with great celebration on Easter Monday April 2nd 1877. The Catholic school attached to the current Church was opened in 1954. A Foundation stone reads, "Blessed by Most Rev J.P. O'Collins Bishop of Ballarat 19 Nov 1967. Men of Parish G.A. Egan…

Read More

Wycheproof, VIC - Uniting

Wycheproof, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: 52 High Street, , Wycheproof Victoria, 3527

A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was laid by C.K. Daws on 25 March 1961. The Churches one foundation is Jesus Christ Her Lord, Minister Rev. D. Rayment."

Read More

Yarram, VIC - Community

Yarram, VIC - Community

Year Built: 1963

Address: 142 Commercial Road, , Yarram Victoria, 3971

In 1883 tenders were called for the erection of a Church in Yarram, on land given by Mr. Abraham Bland. It was at the southern end of his property "Aylesbury", on the road which later was named Church Road. The Parsonage was still at Tarraville, but in 1890 one was built on land adjoining the Church. The floor plan of the house was the…

Read More

Yarraville, VIC - Westgate Baptist

Yarraville, VIC - Westgate Baptist

Year Built: 1963

Address: 16 High Street, , Yarraville Victoria, 3013

The Church was formed from the coming together of three smaller Baptist Churches in 1982. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid 15th Sept 1963 To God be the Glory".

Read More