Year Built: 1924
Address: 371 Neerim Road, , Carnegie Victoria, 3163
A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Foundation stone of the Parish Church of St Peter's built for the worship of God and the teaching of the Catholic faith was laid by Harrington Clare Archbishop of Melbourne on Whitsun Eve A.D. 1924. Pasce Oves Meas. Louis R Williams Architect, R,J, Werner Builder".
Year Built: 1843
Address: 1 Liffey Street, , Carrick Tasmania, 7291
Built in 1843 and consecrated in 1845 after its conversion from a schoolhouse. Services were first held c1843 in a blacksmith's shop and subsequently in a schoolhouse, whose building was later transformed into St Andrew's. Thomas Reibey had the schoolhouse converted by 1845, though the tower was added in 1863. The church's burial ground…
Year Built: 1964
Address: 1 Poulston Road, , Carrum Victoria, 3197
Land for the current site was purchased and a building described as little more than a shed was erected. The new church was built by Mr. William Ryall, at a cost of £98, with the organ and most of the furniture donated? An additional £28 was spent on the purchase of twelve pews. The Church was opened in May, 1902, becoming part of the…
Year Built: 1908
Address: 181 Canterbury Road, , Casino New South Wales, 2470
St Paul's Presbyterian Church was opened on Wednesday 15 July 1908 by the Right Rev. J. Macaulay, Moderator of the General Assembly. Designed by the Casino architects, Messrs Popplewell and Sykes, in the Early English Gothic style.
Year Built: 1904
Address: Cnr West & Barker Streets, , Casino New South Wales, 2470
Casino’s first Anglican Church was built of Cedar in 1871 on the bank of the Richmond River. The foundation stone of the present church was laid on the 27th August 1904 and the church was dedicated the next year.
Year Built: 1940
Address: 126 Canterbury Street, , Casino New South Wales, 2470
The first Catholic Church was erected in 1876. The current Church was built of local red bricks in 1940. A late Art Deco church with rectangular lines and heavy scale and bulk. Romanesque elements on facade. The Church was consecrated in May, 1940 by the Bishop of Lismore. The bricks came from Coombell, south of Casino.
Year Built: 1909
Address: 174 Glenelg Highway, , Casterton Victoria, 3311
The first church was erected in 1865 and was opened on 1 April. The second church built in the Gothic style was opened in March 1909. The Foundation stone was laid by Mr Gillespie on Wednesday 7 October 1908.
Address: 26 Robertson Street, , Casterton Victoria, 3311
The foundation of the church was laid on 7th February 1886. It was blessed on 7th November 1886 by Bishop Moore assisted by Fr Marshall and Fr Shine. The Gothic style brick church was 64 foot long and cost £3,000. Additions were made in 1918 at a cost of £500.
Address: 20 Templeton Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450
In 1861 the Reverend James Smith, a missionary from India, arrived in the in the mining township of Castlemaine. He had been invited by Rev. E. Day of the Independent Church to assist in the establishment of a local Baptist Church.
Year Built: 1858
Address: Lyttleton Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450
The earliest building was constructed in 1855 as a temporary church, Sunday and day school. Designed by architect and surveyor, Clement Wilks, the foundation stone was laid on 7th March 1855. The first church building is constructed of unadorned brick and designed in a simple Georgian style. Step buttresses divide the nave into bays,…
Address: 78 Hargraves Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450
The first temporary chapel was built in 1853. The wooden church remained in service until 1857 when plans for "a magnificent cathedral in the Elizabethan style" were announced. Frederick Poepel was chosen as the architect, and the first stone laid on September 13th 1857..
Address: 8-12 Lyttleton Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450
Formerly a Presbyterian church. The foundation stone was laid by the Premier of Victoria, Sir James Patterson on June 22nd 1894. The Church was officially opened on 16th December 1894. The church was built by Mr Shillabeer to a design by the Ballarat architect Charles Figgis. It is a red brick building with cement dressings and a…
Address: Scott Street, , Cathcart New South Wales, 2632
The Church was built in 1907 by Mr William Gauson for £150. A plaque on the Church wall reads, " A.M.D.G. This plaque was unveiled by Canon Peter Bertram to commemorate the Centenary of the establishment of St Paul's Church on the 29 October 1907. Revd Pauline Dare Priest in Charge 14 October 2007".
Year Built: 1937
Address: 707 Glenhuntly Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162
Masses were first offered by Father O'Brien in the court room of the Caulfield Town Hall. The design is in the Gothic style and incorporates the cross into the design of the churches. Holy Cross was built in this manner, with a central nave measuring 28 metres in length and 11 metres in width. The two side porches at the altar end…
Year Built: 1921
Address: 406 Kooyong Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162
The Revd H.B. Macartney purchased a small weatherboard former Methodist Church, known as St Peter's Mission Church, Camden Town, in 1875, on the corner of Glen Huntly Road and Cedar Street. After this, Messrs. R.W. B. Mackenzie, and I..J. Davies and J.H. Davies officiating as lay readers from St Mary's, were among the first people to take…
Address: 206 Bambra Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162
The first meeting of the Church was held on 12th of May 1920, when the Church constituted 37 members. A Foundation stone reads, " Church of Christ To the Glory of God and the salvation of Man. Sep 2nd 1962"
Year Built: 1929
Address: 1 Neerim Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162
Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Monday 13 August 1928, page 12, CHURCH NEWS. Efforts to organise a Presbyterian Church in Caulfield are meeting with success. The Sunday evening services are held in the Courtroom, Caulfield Town Hall, and are conducted by the Rev. A. Hardie. Tenders have been called for the building of a church…
Year Built: 1871
Address: 281 Glen Ira Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162
The first Anglican service held in Caulfield was conducted by the Reverend Samuel Taylor (from St Andrew's Brighton) and Reverend David Seddon (of Christ Church St Kilda) in Park Street. In 1859 steps were taken to build a Church, which for some years was known as '"All Saints." Sir George Stephen gave a quarter of an acre of land, on…
Address: Nelson Road HMAS, , Cerberus Victoria, 3920
Our Lady Star of the Sea Memorial Chapel serving the Royal Australian Navy within HMAS CERBERUS, Victoria. Opened in 1948 by Archbishop Daniel Mannix. It features stained glass windows donated by the American singer/actor Bing Crosby on a visit by him in the 1950's.
Year Built: 1871
In the spring of the year 1871 as inhabitants of stations around Charlton crossed southwards over the recently constructed Avoca bridge they saw the beginnings of the first House of Worship in Charlton. The contractor James Paterson, of Nardoo, Buckrabnayule, a builder who learnt his trade in Scotland was putting the final touches to the…
Year Built: 1993
Address: 7 Learmouth Street, , Charlton Victoria, 3525
A Foundation stone reads, "St Joseph's Church Charlton was blessed and opened by Most Reverend Ronald Mulkeearns D.D. Bishop of Ballarat Sunday April 4th 1993. Fr Denis Dennehy Parish Priest. On this site stood the former St Joseph's Church blessed and opened by Bishop Joseph Higgins of Ballarat in September 1907 when Father Edward…
Year Built: 1963
Address: 3 Armstrong Street, , Charlton Victoria, 3525
The first Church was built in 1889. A Foundation stone reads, "In Memory of the fallen in Two World Wars the Foundation stone of this Church of St Martin built for the worship of God was set by Allen Second Bishop of St Arnaud on 28 April 1963. G.B. Lucas Rector."
Year Built: 1885
Address: 6 Halliday Street, , Charlton Victoria, 3525
Two Foundation stones read, 1. "Wesley Chapel Built in 1876 and later used as a Sunday School. The present church was built for the Methodist Community in 1885. This project was funded by Centenary of Federation Victoria through the Victorian Government's Community Support Fund." 2. Charlton Methodist Sunday School Hall built to the…