Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Presbyterian


Acacia Ridge, QLD - Presbyterian

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 372 Mortimer Road, , Acacia Ridge Queensland, 4110

Read More

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1865

Address: 1975 - 1985 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

A meeting was held in August 1864 and tenders were called for a bluestone church to be build from plans by architect John Young.The Foundation stone was laid 4 January 1865 by Mrs John Brown. Its built in a primitive Gothic style.

Read More

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

Built between 1886 and 1889 and opened in February 1889 the church was a gift by Mrs Helen Hunter Baillie as a memorial to her husband John Baillie who died in 1854. He was a sub-editor of the Colonial Observer and later the Secretary and Inspector of the Bank of New South Wales. The Architect's were Cyril Arthur Blackett son of the…

Read More

Annerley, QLD - St John's Presbyterian

Annerley, QLD - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1929

Address: 33 King Street, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

The first church was built in 1886 at a cost of £150 and their second church in 1929 at a cost of £3,500. Brisbane architect, George Trotter, who was also a member of the congregation, designed the second church.

Read More

Applecross, WA - Chinese Presbyterian

Applecross, WA - Chinese Presbyterian

Address: 33 Willcock Street, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

Read More

Ayr, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Ayr, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1960

Address: 109 MacMillan Street, , Ayr Queensland, 4807

A plaque reads, St Andrews Presbyterian Memorial Church dedicated to the Glory of God Reverend A.G. McLaren Moderator of the Presbytery of Townsville 7 May 1960'.

Read More

Bairnsdale, VIC Presbyterian

Bairnsdale, VIC Presbyterian

Address: 159 Nicholson Street, , Bairnrsdale Victoria, 3875

Read More

Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1953

Address: Corner Hotham & Denman Streets, , Balaclava North Victoria, 3183

In 1912, in order to ascertain to what extent the people of the district were desirous of having a Church in their midst, a house to house canvass was made by Rev. C. Stuart Ross, with the result that he was able to make a most encouraging and satisfactory report.* At this stage, Mr. John Maclellan, a member of the Board of Management…

Read More

Bald Hills, QLD - Presbyterian

Bald Hills, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 58 Strathpine Road, , Bald Hills Queensland, 4036

Read More

Ballarat North, VIC - Scots Presbyterian

Ballarat North, VIC - Scots Presbyterian

Year Built: 1890

Address: 415 Lydiard Street, Ballarat, Ballarat North Victoria, 3350

Built in 1890 to a Gothic-inspired design by local architects Figgis & Molloy. The foundation stone of Scots Church was laid on 5 July 1890 by Sir James MacBain, Scottish-born businessman and president of the Victorian Legislative Council. The church is on a rectangular plan without transepts. The nave is of six bays, buttressed…

Read More

Ballina, NSW - Presbyterian

Ballina, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1914

A small timber church was built facing Cherry Street and opened on 12th April 1885. This building was moved to face Crane Street before the present church was erected. A Foundation stone reads, " St Stephens Presbyterian Church Ballina This stone was laid by Hugh Gibson Esq Mayor Sept 16th 1914 John Haddon Bates Minister.

Read More

Balmain, NSW - Presbyterian

Balmain, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1868

Address: 7 Campbell Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first church was erected in 1842 at a cost of £25.00 and was the first church to be built in Balmain. An early stone Victorian Free Gothic style Church constructed in 1867-1868. The Church significantly retains its original form, scale and details particularly the stone façades and roof and associated details and prominent tower…

Read More

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1938

Address: Hume Highway, , Balmattum Victoria, 3666

The Church is part of the the Benalla Presbyterian Parish since its inception, but at the time was knows as duck pond the name derived from a chain of water holes crossing the route of the Sydney Road. The first srvices were held in the school. The wooden church building was erected in 1878 and opeend on 6 October 1878 by Reverend Reid.…

Read More

Bangalow, NSW - Presbyterian

Bangalow, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 73 Byron Street, , Bangalow New South Wales, 2479

Read More

Banyo, QLD - Presyterian

Banyo, QLD - Presyterian

Address: 314 St Vincents Road, , Banyo Queensland, 4014

Read More

Barmedman, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian (Former)

Barmedman, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1926

Address: 32 - 34 Queen Street, , Barmedman New South Wales, 2668

The first St Paul's Presbyterian Church Barmedman was a timber structure which was used from late 1890. The present brick structure was opened in March 1927. The Foundation stone was laid on 20 October 1926 by John Stewart. The Church is now in private hands.

Read More

Barnsdale, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Barnsdale, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Address: 239 Main Streert, , Bairnsdale Victoria, 3875

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone for St Andrew's Church was laid by Rev A S McLean on December 17th, 1885.

Read More

Barton, ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

Barton, ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1934

Address: Corner State Circle & Canberra Avenue, , Barton Australian Capital Territory, 2600

A sandstone Church in an adaptation of the Gothic Revival style. The side tower is square with a sandstone spire. The interior fills the usual sanctuary area and has fine joinery, particularly in the pulpit and screens. It contains many memorials of National importance. The Foundation stone was laid on 27 November 1929 by His Excellency…

Read More

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1860

Address: 40 Ross Street, , Batesford Victoria, 3213

First services were held in private homes such as "Darriwill" home of the Hope family. Later Reve Sutherland conducted services in a tin shed on top of Batesford Hill until he left in 1887. In December 1859 tenders were let by the Architect Joseph Lowe Shaw for the erection of a bluestone church. A plaque on the upper section of the…

Read More

Bathurst, NSW - Presbyterian

Bathurst, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 72 George Steet, , Bathurst New South Wales, 2795

The Architect was Thomas Rowe.

Read More

Bega, NSW - Presbyterian (Former)

Bega, NSW - Presbyterian (Former)

Address: 116 Gipps Street, , Bega New South Wales, 2550

Read More

Belconnen, ACT - Presbyterian

Belconnen, ACT - Presbyterian

Address: Corner Ross Smith Crescent & Gatty Street, , Belconnen Australian Capital Territory, 2617

Read More

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: Corner Church & Mitchell Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The Foundation stone was laid David Maughan Esq on 17 May 1905.

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1897

Address: 35 - 41 Forest Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

St. John's Presbyterian Church was opened in 1874 and located in Forest Street near the Barnard Street. By 1885 the Church was destroyed by fire. A new Church building was opened in 1897 on the same site. A Foundation stone was laid in November 1858 by Rev L.D. Bevan. In 1949 plans were preparred for the demolition of the church and…

Read More

Berry, NSW - Presbyterian

Berry, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1934

Address: 83 Victoria Street, , Berry New South Wales, 2535

The first Presbyterian Church in Berry was erected in a prime location on a hill to the north of the town in the late 1880's, and was built on five acres, donated to the congregation by David Berry. A Foundation reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Right Rev D.F. Brandt May 9th 1934 - Thos J. Darling Architect Rev D.L.…

Read More

Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1885

Address: 105 High Street, , Berwick Victoria, 3806

The first service was held in 1856 in Narre Warren at the residence of Mr Catenach on a fortnightly basis for about a year and then moved to a hut in Berwick owned by a Mr Gardiner. The Church is the oldest church in Berwick, and the congregation was founded amongst Scottish and English settlers in 1857 by Rev Alexander Duff, an Irish…

Read More

Bexley, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Bexley, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1887

Address: 269 Forest Road, , Bexley New South Wales, 2207

The land on which this Church is built was first granted to James Chandler on the 19th October 1831 by Governor Brisbane (1300 acres). The Foundation stone was laid on 24 May 1887 by the ten Minster for Education the Hon James Inglis. The Church was opened for worship by Rev Robert Steel in October 1887. For over 50 years it was known…

Read More

Biloela, QLD - Presbyterian

Biloela, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1960

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God This stone was laid by the Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Queensland the Right Rev T.C. Watson BA 23rd April 1960. Minister Rev R.A. Paterson DIP DIV Session Clerk Mr A.C. Shepherdson".

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - Presbyterian

Blackburn, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 53 Gadenia Street, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

Read More

Blayney, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian

Blayney, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1861

Address: 71 Adelaide Street, , Blayney New South Wales, 2799

The foundation stone was laid in July 1861 and the church was opened on 6 April 1862 with Reverend James Adam holding the first church service. In 1870, the building was enhanced by the addition of an attractive bell tower, with shingled steeple. The cost of St Paul’s was £300 exclusive of the pulpit and seats.

Read More

Bomaderry, NSW - Presbyterian

Bomaderry, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 8 Meroo Street, , Bomaderry New South Wales, 2541

Read More

Boorowa, NSW - St James Presbyterian (Former)

Boorowa, NSW - St James Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1885

Address: 50 Queen Street, , Boorowa New South Wales, 2586

The Church was built in 1885

Read More

Boort, VIC - Presbyterian, (Former)

Boort, VIC - Presbyterian, (Former)

Year Built: 1876

Address: 24 Godfrey Street, , Boort Victoria, 3537

Church sign now removed and appears to be a private residence

Read More

Bowral, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Bowral, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 12 Bendooley Street, , Bowral New South Wales, 2576

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by The Rev C.E. Turnbull Moderator of the Presbytery of Goulburn to commemorate the Jubilee of the first Presbyterian service in Bowral. 1888 - 1938. Rev R.H. Bacot Minister.

Read More

Brenaraby, QLD - Presbyterian

Brenaraby, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 17 O'Connor Road, , Brenaraby Queensland, 4680

Read More

Brighton, VIC - John Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Brighton, VIC - John Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1896

Address: Corner North & New Streets, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone to the first church was laid on 29 October 1892 by the Brighton Mayor M.J.S. Carr Esq. John Knox church (built 1876) Original Architect - Charles Webb

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: 12 Wilson Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The earliest recorded Anglican service to be held in Brighton, formerly known as `Waterville' was held in 1842 in a simple slab and shingle home, owned by Henry Dendy, near the corner of New and Well Streets. The Reverend Adam Compton Thompson, the only clergyman in the colony at the time was the first to offer ministry in Brighton. He…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - Presbyterian

Brisbane, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1858

Address: 141 Ann Street, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

In September 1854, the congregation purchased three allotments in Ann Street. Four years later, a simple stone building in the Gothic style was erected by Joshua Jeays for a cost of £960. It was 36 by 47 feet (11 by 14 m). The church was opened on Sunday 25 July 1858 and became known as the Ann Street Presbyterian Church. On Thursday 21…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD -St Paul's Presbyterian

Brisbane, QLD -St Paul's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: 43 St Paul's Terrace, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

Former Queensland Colonial Architect Francis Drummond Greville Stanley was commissioned to design a building well beyond immediate requirements,. A stone, gothic-styled building complete with buttresses, belltower and a spire rising 150 feet (46 m) above the ground. Cruciform in shape, the design incorporates a nave, aisles, and…

Read More

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1912

Address: Corner High & Hamilton Streets, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

The original church was a small wooden Methodist church built in 1895, opened on 9 June and demolished in 1912. The Builder was Mr McDonald of Broadford. A Foundation stone was laid by M McKenzie MLA on 1 June 1912 when a newer church was erected. The builder was James Sutherland. The foundation stone was laid by MK McKenzie MLA on 1…

Read More