Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1871 and 1880


Murchison, VIC - Uniting

Murchison, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1878

Address: Impey Street, , Murchison Victoria, 3610

Read More

Murringo, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Murringo, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1874 - 1877

Address: Boreham Street, , Murringo New South Wales, 2586

The Church is part of a group of buildings built by the Catholic Church in Murringo (previously Marengo) between the 1870s and 1930 to serve the local Catholic community in their faith and schooling. They included a church (opened in 1877), Convent – and original school (opened in 1917) and new school (opened in 1930). The Convent and…

Read More

Murrumburrah, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Murrumburrah, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: 120 Swift Street, , Murrumburrah New South Wales, 2587

The foundation stone of St Paul's was laid in 1875, and the building was completed in 1876. It was only consecrated in 1884, once the debt incurred for the building of the church was fully paid off. The present sanctuary area of the church was added in 1892, and its roofing structure was replaced in 1922, at which time a number of new…

Read More

Murrurundi, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Murrurundi, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1872

Address: 44 Mount Street, , Murrurundi New South Wales, 2338

Designed in 1872 by John Horbury Hunt and commissioned by the White family, the foundation stone was laid on 24 April 1873 and the building opened on 24 June 1874. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God the Frederick R White Memorial Tower was erected as a memorial gift by the sons and daughters of the late Frederick Robert…

Read More

Muskerry, VIC - St Martin of Tours Catholic

Muskerry, VIC - St Martin of Tours Catholic

Year Built: 1876

Address: River Road, , Muskerry Victoria, 3557

The Foundation stone of the church was laid by Rev Dr Crane Bishop of Sanddhurst on 19 September 1875. Mr Joseph Brady was the architect and the total cost of the construction was 401. The church was debt free by 27 October 1879. There is a foundation stone celebrating the centenasry of the church which was laid by the Bishop of…

Read More

Myra Vale, NSW - Methodist (Former)

Myra Vale, NSW - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1874

Address: 564 Myra Vale Road, , Myra Vale New South Wales, 2577

Formerly a Wesleyan then Methodist Church built in 1874 and opened in December of that year. The Church was constructed from local stone in a Gothic style. Now in private hands since around 1993.

Read More

Nagambie, VIC - St Malachy's Catholic

Nagambie, VIC - St Malachy's Catholic

Year Built: 1874

Address: Corner of Young & High Street, , Nagambie Victoria, 3608

A Foundation stone was laid on 1st December 1872 by Bishop Goold. The architect was T A Kelly, and the Church was opened on 15th March 1874. A plaque reads, Father Patrick Farrell who serves as the church's Priest from 1988 to 2003 is remembered by a plaque on the outside church wall.

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St Paul's Anglican

Naracoorte, SA - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1880

Address: Gordon Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Church was built of solid limestone in 1880. A Foundation stone was laid on 8 December 1968 by E. R. Lawson Esq.

Read More

Narrandera, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Narrandera, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1880

Address: Corner Adams & Larmer Streets, , Narrandera New South Wales, 2700

The foundation stone of St Thomas' Church was laid in November 1879 and the first service held in the building in September 1880.

Read More

Natimuk, VIC - Uniting

Natimuk, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1877

Address: Main Street, , Natimuk Victoria, 3409

This was the site of the first Presbyterian Church in 1877. Moved from Dooen in 1974 the present church was officially opened in April of that year.

Read More

New Town, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

New Town, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1880

Address: 2 Cross Street, , New Town Tasmania, 7008

The church was established largely as a result of the work of Father P. R. Hennebry and took four years to complete. The church opened in 1880, and the sanctuary was completed in 1882.

Read More

Newtown, NSW - Baptist

Newtown, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1873

Address: 191 Church Street, , Newtown New South Wales, 2042

Land was purchased for the Church in 1862 but services continued to be held in the Town Hall until the front part of the building was opened in 1873. The side wings were added over the next fifteen years. The Evening News of 6 July 1871 reported, "The ceremony of laying the foundation-stone of the new Baptist Church at Newtown was duly…

Read More

Newtown, NSW - St Stephen's Anglican

Newtown, NSW - St Stephen's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 189 Church Street, , Newtown New South Wales, 2042

The Church was designed by Edmund Blacket between 1871 and 1874 on a portion of 240 acres granted to Governor Bligh and was known as the Camperdown estate. This building is one of Australia's best Gothic Revival Churches on this scale in cruciform plan with side aisles, gallery, two vestries, porch. The walls of the church are sandstone,…

Read More

North Goulburn, NSW - St Nicholas' Anglican

North Goulburn, NSW - St Nicholas' Anglican

Year Built: 1880

Address: 17 Kinghorne Street, , North Goulburn New South Wales, 2580

The present Church, a stone building in the early English style, was designed by Mr. E. T. Blacket. The original plans have been deposited in the Mitchell Library, Sydney, by his son, Cyril Blacket. The nave only has been finished according to the original plan. The temporary chancel and sanctuary are of wood. The complete design provides…

Read More

Northdown, TAS - St James Anglican

Northdown, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: 829 Port Sorell Road, , Northdown Tasmania, 7307

The church was opened in May 1878 and the church and burial ground were consecrated on 30 January 1879 by Bishop Charles Bromby. One gate post has the inscription "To the glory of God" with the opposite post having the inscription, "And in memory of all those who served 1939 - 1945". The present church was built by public subscription…

Read More

Nowra, NSW - Uniting

Nowra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1877

Address: 29 Berry Street, , Nowra New South Wales, 2541

The Foundation stone was laid 1st January 1877. The Rev. James Fletcher, Principal of Newington College at that time, officiated at the laying. The Builder was Mr. Alex MacArthur with a contact price of £900. The Architect was Thomas Rowe. The cost of the roof shingles were split by Mrs. Ruben Mason.

Read More

Orange, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Orange, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: Anson Street, , Orange New South Wales, 2800

The design is of High Victorian Gothic Revival and the Architect was Thomas Rowe. Erected in 1879 with the steeple being completed in 1924.

Read More

Palmer, SA - Lutheran

Palmer, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1872

Address: Church Crescent, , Palmer South Australia, 5237

A Foundation stone was laid in 1872. An addition appears to have been added in 1927.

Read More

Parkside, SA - Baptist

Parkside, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1880

Address: 100 Young Street, , Parkside South Australia, 5063

On the 26th of March in 1880 at the half yearly meeting of the SA Baptist Association held at Mitcham, a committee was appointed to take action in relation to the establishment of a Baptist interest in the growing suburb of Parkside. Land was eventually purchased for a cost of £263 and plans discussed for building the chapel. As the…

Read More

Parramatta, NSW - St Peter's Uniting (Former)

Parramatta, NSW - St Peter's Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1871

Address: 356 Church Street, , Parramatta New South Wales, 2150

The Church was established in 1870 and opened for services on 17th May 1872. The morning service was conducted by the Pastor, the Rev. W. Slatyer preaching the sermon. A stone facia high up on the front wall reads, Congregational Church A D 1871. The Church was sold in 2006 and in 2023 was listed as a Bridal Secrets outlet.

Read More

Petersham, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Petersham, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1880

Address: 325 Stanmore Road, , Petersham New South Wales, 2049

The first Anglican Church service in Petersham was held on 15 April 1860 in a tiny schoolroom. The original building was erected between 1870 and 1875 of red brick. The site for the church was bequeathed to the Church by the late Mrs. Priddle, sister of Dr. Wardell, an early settler in Petersham. Building commenced and the foundation…

Read More

Pinery, SA - Methodist

Pinery, SA - Methodist

Year Built: 1880

Address: Lawrie Road, , Pinery South Australia, 5460

Divine service was first held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Barker, who were the earliest settlers at Pinery, and later worship was also conducted in the homes of Messrs. Woods and Spargo. On June 23rd., 18S0, the foundation stone of the Church was laid by Mrs. Barker, and on November 7th. the building was opened for public worship…

Read More

Poowong, VIC - Uniting

Poowong, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1878

Address: Lang Lang Road, , Poowong Victoria, 3988

Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist Church. The first service was held in 1878 after the church was built in the same year. Gothic is style however the square windows did not enhance that style. These were replaced to enhance a more Gothic style when the weatherboards were replaced. In 1890 the transept was added and tenders for the enlargement…

Read More

Prahran, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Prahran, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: 157A High Street, , Prahran Victoria, 3181

St Matthew's was built to the designs of architects Terry & Oakden, the contractors were Purves and Rankine. Building commenced in July 1877 and the foundation stone was laid by Bishop James Moorehouse on Saturday the 1st of September 1877. It was formally opened by Bishop Moorehouse on the afternoon of Friday 28th June 1878.. A…

Read More

Primrose Valley, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Primrose Valley, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: 1909 Captains Flat Road, , Primrose Valley New South Wales, 2621

The church building was opened on 29th November 1874 by the Rev A D Soares, and consecrated on 12th November 1876. The church building was erected on land donated by Mr Thomas Rutledge Esq., JP of Carwoola. The total cost of the church was £1,000.

Read More

Queanbeyan, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Queanbeyan, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1874

Address: Corner Morrisset & Lowe Streets, , Queanbeyan New South Wales, 2620

The incomplete church was opened on March 8, 1874. Two hundred people crowded in and around to hear the Rev. Dr Steel preach at the 11 a.m. opening service. Thos. Priest was the contractor for the masonry (£101/12/6), T. Jordan for the carpenter's work (£153/12/-), J. Evitts, the plastering (£75), F. A. Helmund, the painting (£23/7/6)…

Read More

Rheola, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican (Former)

Rheola, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1871

Address: Inglewood Rheola Road, , Rhoela Victoria, 3517

Read More

Richmond, TAS - Congregational

Richmond, TAS - Congregational

Year Built: 1875

Address: 25 Bridge Street, , Richmond Tasmania, 7025

The first services were held in the local courthouse. In 1843 the Rev Moses Parker arrived and made Richmond the centre of his circuit. A chapel was located in Torrens Street on a parcel of land donated by John Kestall Buscombe, a successful local businessman. The chapel was opened on Wednesday 3 December 1845 and a collection was…

Read More

Robertson, NSW - St John's Anglican

Robertson, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1876

Address: 64 Hoddle Street, , Robertson New South Wales, 2577

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by John Missingham 28 . 2. 40". A further foundation stone reads, " St John's Church AD 1876". The Church was opened in December of that year.

Read More

Romsey, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Romsey, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1872

Address: Lancefield Road, , Romsey Victoria, 3434

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 November 1871. The church was consecrated on 24 November 1946.

Read More

Rose Bay, NSW - St Mary Magdalene's Catholic

Rose Bay, NSW - St Mary Magdalene's Catholic

Year Built: 1871

Address: 835 New South Head Road, , Rose Bay New South Wales, 2029

The Church was opened for worship on 21 October 1871. The Preacher was Rev John Graham of the Pitt Street Congregational Church. The Church was built to the designs of Architect J. Barlow. The tower was added in 1932 and additions made in 1938 by Leslie Wilkson.

Read More

Rozelle, NSW - Methodist (Former)

Rozelle, NSW - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1880

Address: 608 Darling Street, , Rozelle New South Wales, 2039

The Primitive Methodists built the Chapel on the comer of Nelson and Darling Streets in 1880. Previously services were held in a private home. When it ceased to function as a Chapel in 1910 it was taken over as a furniture store. Mr Harrie S. Hannaford bought it in th el940s and sold chicken feed, potatoes, onions and chafffrom this…

Read More

Rozelle, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Rozelle, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: 668 Darling Road, , Rozelle New South Wales, 2039

The Church was built in 1874 in an Early English Gothic style to the design of Edmund Blacket, originally of brick with stone detailing, but later obscured by paintwork. The five bay nave was built first, followed by the transepts, sanctuary and vestry. he main façade incorporates a small bellcote rising between the two lancet windows.…

Read More

Seven Hills, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican (Former)

Seven Hills, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1879

Address: 313 Seven Hills Road, , Seven Hills New South Wales, 2147

The land for the church was donated by Phillip Pearce who was the son of Matthew Pearce, a pioneer settler of the area and after which Matthew Pearce School is named. The construction is Gothic Revival Style, although simple and unpretentious, the interior features are impressive with high beamed ceilings. The Church was built and…

Read More

Sorrento, VIC - St John's Anglican

Sorrento, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: Point Nepean Road, , Sorrento Victoria, 3943

St John's Church of England, Nepean Highway, Sorrento, was commenced in 1874, the transepts being added in 1889 and the chancel during 1908-11. The small limestone Church is conventionally planned with an apsidal east end. Walls are of random coursed masonry with rendered parapet, buttress cappings and plinth (probably later) and a slate…

Read More

Spring Hill, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Spring Hill, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1873

Address: 48 Leichhardt Street, , Spring Hill Queensland, 4000

The former Leichhardt Street Primitive Methodist Church was constructed in Spring Hill in 1873-74. Spring Hill was one of the first suburbs laid-out in Brisbane after the Moreton Bay Penal Settlement closed and the area opened to free settlers. This modest church building was established to met the rising spiritual needs of the local…

Read More

St Arnaud, VIC - Uniting

St Arnaud, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1876

Address: 30 McMahon Street, , St Arnaud Victoria, 3478

St. Arnaud’s first Presbyterian minister, Rev. Hugh McKail, held early services in homes and hired halls, until the council granted land for a church and Manse. This church was designed by Charles Vickers, features an impressive bell tower and spire with a steep roof clad in slate.

Read More

St Kilda, VIC - St Georges Anglican Arts Centre

St Kilda, VIC - St Georges Anglican Arts Centre

Year Built: 1877

Address: 25 Chapel Street, , St Kilda Victoria, 3182

One acre of land was reserved in Chapel Street for the Presbyterian Church and was gazetted on 10 September 1866. In June 1876 a public meeting was held in the Orderly Room in Chapel Street, St Kilda East, adjoining the church’s land, to gauge interest in establishing a church. Sunday services began on 13 August 1876 in the Orderly Room…

Read More

Stanley, VIC - All Saints Church of England (Former)

Stanley, VIC - All Saints Church of England (Former)

Year Built: 1872

Address: 64 Pioneer Road, , Stanley Victoria, 3747

Built in 1872. The opening service was conducted by Reverend Father Howard on Sunday 20 October 1872. The Church was apparently closed during the time of Reverend Malcolm Crawley in 1981.

Read More

Stawell, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Stawell, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1873

Address: 37 Patrick Street, , Stawell Victoria, 3380

The building was designed in a Victorian Gothic Revival style typical of the influential English architect, Charles Hansom. This design has been attributed to Henry Richard Caselli who was greatly influenced by Hansom. The building is largely intact both externally and internally, and represents one of few extant Hansom-influenced…

Read More