Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1901 and 1910


Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Collingwood Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233

Built in 1905.

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Holy Advent Anglican

Armadale, VIC - Holy Advent Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: 5 St Georges Road, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 April 1910 by the Archbishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Bagdad, TAS - St Michael and all Angels Anglican

Bagdad, TAS - St Michael and all Angels Anglican

Year Built: 1903

Address: Midland Highway, , Bagdad Tasmania, 7030

The Church was first called St Thomas'. Services were held in the public hall but in 1897 there were plans to build a church. The Foundation stone was laid in November 1903 and the building dedicated in April 1094. In July 1919 the foundation stone of the Chancel was laid.

Read More

Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1906

Address: 6 Eaton Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first St Augustine's was built in 1848 and designed by Augustus Pugin England's most influential early Victorian architect. In 1848 the Archbishop of Sydney put up a bond of 150 which would be voided unless part of a church or materials worth 400 were on site within 18 months. The "magnificent plot of land [was] beautifully…

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner High Street & Milton Road, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

The site for St John's was selected in July 1900 by Archpriest McKenna from St Mary's, Geelong and had formerly been owned by R. Phillip. A tender from J.C. Taylor & Sons was accepted in October 1900 and the church was constructed at a cost of 437 pounds. The church opened early in April 1901 with the first mass conducted by the Rev.…

Read More

Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting

Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1909

Address: 125 Weld Street, , Beaconsfield Tasmania, 7270

Gold mining attracted many Methodist Cornishmen to settle in this district. In 1861 services were held at Supply River with preachers provided from Launceston. In 1878 the Primitive Methodists came to Beaconsfield and by 1880 the Rev C.R. Rice took up ministry there as part of the Launceston Mission. By 1891 Beaconsfield was created a…

Read More

Bellerive, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Bellerive, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 23 Clarence Street, , Bellerive Tasmania, 7018

(Known firslty as Kangaroo Point) St. Mark's was formerly Clarence). In 1826 there was a small Chapel of Ease at Clarence Plains, one of the only five churches in Tasmania. In June 1852 S. Mark's Chapel, Kangaroo Point was consecrated. This building still stands and in 1932 it was restored by Toc H. to be used by scouts and guides. In…

Read More

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: Corner Church & Mitchell Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The Foundation stone was laid David Maughan Esq on 17 May 1905.

Read More

Benalla, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Benalla, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: Corner Wedge & Arundel Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The first St Joseph's was built in 1866. The current Church was completed in 1908 in a Romanesque style at a cost of £9,000. The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne on 21 July 1907 assisted by Bishop Reville and Dean Davey 1907. In 1989 a fire destroyed a large part of the building…

Read More

Bendick Murrell, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Bendick Murrell, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1906

Address: Main Street, , Bendick Murrell New South Wales, 2803

The church was opened in 1906.

Read More

Blanchtown, SA - Advent Lutheran

Blanchtown, SA - Advent Lutheran

Year Built: 1903

Address: Paisley Road, , Blanchtown South Australia, 5357

The first Lutheran pastor was Pastor Peter Bonifacuis Hoefner, who lived on the East side of the Paisley river and conducted services at his home from 1896 to 1901. In 1901 Pastor Hoefner moved from the Blanchetown district to Queensland. The congregation then joined the Stonefield Parish whose pastor was Pastor J. P. Lohe. On February…

Read More

Bondi Junction, NSW - Holy Cross Catholic

Bondi Junction, NSW - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: 15 Adelaide Street, , Bondi Junction New South Wales, 2022

The original church was built in 1907 and enlarged twice. The present church (AUSTIN MACKAY) was opened in 1940 and is of Art Deco style with Romanesque windows and prominent stained glass depicting the 14 Stations of the Cross. The Foundation stone was laid in 1939.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Bordertown, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: McLeod Street, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

Read More

Bunyip, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Bunyip, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1902

Address: 26 A'Beckett Street, , Bunyip Victoria, 3815

The Bunyip Parish of St. Thomas' was originally part of the Gippsland Fort mission in 1879 and early church services were held In Kraft's Hall. By the early 1890': a-proper church was being planned, and fund raising began In December 1891. On 15 October 1902, Mrs W. A. A'Beckett Snr of Brighton laid the foundation block for the new…

Read More

Burnie, TAS - Uniting

Burnie, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: 60 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

A Primitive Methodist Church was built in Mount street in 1869 and a second church was built alongside the earlier church in 1891. A Wesleyan Methodist Church built in Cattley Street in 1894. They were removed to the rear in 1900. The Grand Opening of the first church took place in May, 1869. The erection of this Methodist Chapel by a…

Read More

Bushy Park, TAS -St Augustines Anglican

Bushy Park, TAS -St Augustines Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 388 Gordon River Road, , Bushy Park Tasmania, 7140

The Foundation stone was laid by Rt Rev J Edward Mercer D.D. Bishop of Tasmania on July 20th 1904. Reverend Walter Hooker was inducted Rector on this day and he remained until 1908. As early as 1895 services were held in the railway waiting room while being financially supported by the New Norfolk parish with R.W.G. Shoobridge deeding…

Read More

Bute, SA - Uniting

Bute, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1902

Address: Corner First & Third Streets, , Bute South Australia, 5560

A Foundation stone was laid on 27 August 1902 by P Jackson Esq J.P. There is another on the corner of the building that is dated 1894.

Read More

Camperdown, VIC - Uniting

Camperdown, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner Barkly & Leura Street, , Camperdown Victoria, 3260

The Foundation stone was laid by Miss J Curdie of Tanderook on 18 April 1901.

Read More

Canowindra, NSW - Protestant Unknown

Canowindra, NSW - Protestant Unknown

Year Built: 1901

Address: 21 Rodd Street, , Canowindra New South Wales, 2804

Read More

Canowindra, NSW - St Edwards Catholic

Canowindra, NSW - St Edwards Catholic

Year Built: 1902

Address: Tilga Street, , Canowindra New South Wales, 2804

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Rev J. Dunne D.D. Bishop of Bathurst 11th May 1902". A further Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Rev J. Dunne D.D. Bishop of Bathurst July 27 1913".

Read More

Casterton, VIC - Presbyterian

Casterton, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1909

Address: 174 Glenelg Highway, , Casterton Victoria, 3311

The first church was erected in 1865 and was opened on 1 April. The second church built in the Gothic style was opened in March 1909. The Foundation stone was laid by Mr Gillespie on Wednesday 7 October 1908.

Read More

Clifton, QLD - All Saints Anglican

Clifton, QLD - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Gammie Street, , Clifton Queensland, 4361

The first church was erected in 1890. The second was built in 1905. The successful contractor was Mr. Stay of Allora. The floor has a vestry 'raised to 6 feet. A noticeable feature of the building is its great height compared to its size. This ensures breathing space and ventilation. The church proper, which seats 300, was built on 4 feet…

Read More

Cobden, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Cobden, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: Curdie Street, , Cobden Victoria, 3266

Saint Mary’s Anglican Church was established in about 1866, and is part of the Mission District of Saint Francis of Assisi which encompasses Cobden, Terang, Timboon, Peterborough, Simpson and Camperdown. A Foundation stone was laid by John Murray on 25 August 1910.

Read More

Cobram, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Cobram, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Year Built: 1906

Address: Pine Street, , Cobram Victoria, 3644

A Foundation stone reads, " Memorial stone laid by the Bishop of Wangaratta August 24th 1906 Architect and Builder H.H. Farrall". There are another two stones mounted on the front brick pillars. One reads "Erected by the citizens of Cobram 1953". The other reads, " To the Glory of God in Memory of L.G. Hamilton".

Read More

Coolamon, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Coolamon, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Corner Mirool & Wade Streets, , Coolamon New South Wales, 2701

Constructed of brick the Foundation stone was laid on 17 April 1928 by the Bishop of Riverena. Another foundation stone dated 1905 is also attached to the church.

Read More

Devonport, TAS - Baptist (Former)

Devonport, TAS - Baptist (Former)

Year Built: 1904

Address: 44 Stewart Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310

A brick Tabernacle opened in 1904. It cost £1,400. The Church was closed in the late 1960’s and was used as the premises for the Devonport Library between 1969-1983. The builder and designer were Stephen Priest Senior and Stephen Priest Junior. In 1983 the church was converted into the Devonport Gallery and Arts Centre. For a full…

Read More

Donvale, VIC - St John's Anglican (Former)

Donvale, VIC - St John's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1907

Address: 272 Springvale Road, , Donvale Victoria, 3111

The land at 283 Springvale Rd on which the 110 year old church and hall sits was sold to Manningham Council in the 1970’s for the use of and care by the Council. It reflects poorly on councils past that in 2006, a property heritage report was ignored and the property was sold in 2008. The Church was built by volunteer labour. At 3…

Read More

Dulwich Hill, NSW - St Paul of the Cross Catholic

Dulwich Hill, NSW - St Paul of the Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: New Canterbury Road, , Dulwich Hill New South Wales, 2203

In 1906 locals petitioned Cardinal Moran, the Archbishop of Sydney, to have their own church in the area. Approval was given and a block of land was purchased on New Canterbury Road in 1907. The Foundation stone was laid in April 1907 by Cardinal Moran Archbishop of Sydney and the church was completed in 1908. Today this is the parish…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - Ewing Memorial Uniting

East Malvern, VIC - Ewing Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1910

Address: Corner Burke Road & Coppin Streets, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 July 1910 by the Honourable John Mark Davies M.L.C. The Builder was T Stabb and the Architect was H.W. and F.B. Tompkins.

Read More

Finley, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Finley, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1904

Address: Corner Denison & Riverina Highway, , Finley New South Wales, 2713

The opening and blessing of the current church took place in 1904. The building was enlarged in 1919.

Read More

Footscray, VIC - Baptist

Footscray, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1904

Address: 60 Paisley Street, , Footscray Victoria, 3011

A Foundation stone reads, " This memorial stone was laid by Rev S Pearce Carey M.A.. President of the Baptist Union of Victoria Aug 6th 1904". Another Foundation stone reads, " This memorial stone was laid by Mrs Westmore G Stephens Aug 6th 1904 - McKellar Architect - A Parker Contractor".

Read More

Forbes, NSW - Uniting

Forbes, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1906

Address: Brown Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

The year 1863 and some say 1861, saw the birth of Methodism in Forbes. The first quarterly meeting on the 1 7th July 1863 was presided over by Rev. N' Fidler. The original church was a wooden building and was built to the east of the present church building and was then destroyed by a cyclone in October 1863.* Services were then held…

Read More

Forest, TAS - St Bartholomews Anglican

Forest, TAS - St Bartholomews Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 506 Mengah Road, , Forest Tasmania, 7330

Read More

Gembrook, VIC - St Silas Anglican

Gembrook, VIC - St Silas Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Main Street, , Gembrook Victoria, 3783

The Church was established in 1905.

Read More

Geurie, NSW - Holy Name of Jesus Catholic

Geurie, NSW - Holy Name of Jesus Catholic

Year Built: 1905

Address: 57 Jennings Street, , Geurie New South Wales, 2831

A Foundation stone reads, " Laid by Dr Dunne Bishop of Bathurst June 18th 1905".

Read More

Glen Innes, NSW St Patrick's Catholic

Glen Innes, NSW St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: 162 Meady Street, , Glen Innes New South Wales, 2370

In 1864 Dean Lynch laid the foundation stone for the church. The bluestone was supplied by supporter of Mr Regan, one Mr Patrick Dumphy who secured it from the area now dedicated as a park and adjoining the residence (at that time) of Mr J Priest. The present Church was designed in the Gothic style. The plan consists of a nave 72 feet…

Read More

Glenorchy, TAS - Uniting

Glenorchy, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1910

Address: 446 Main Road, , Glenorchy Tasmania, 7010

The first Methodist church at Glenorchy opened in 1831 at O’Brien’s Bridge. The foundation stone of the current church was laid on 16 April 1910 by John Hallam Esq.

Read More

Gollan, NSW - Baptist

Gollan, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1908

Address: 2744 Gollan Road, , Gollan New South Wales, 2820

The Church was erected in 1908.

Read More

Goolwa, SA - Church of Christ

Goolwa, SA - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1902

Address: Porter Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Goolwa Church of Christ was founded in 1902. The Foundation stone of the hall was laid on 4 October 1964 by Arthur Neighbour.

Read More

Greenthorpe, NSW - St James Anglican

Greenthorpe, NSW - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: Tyagong Road, , Greenethorpe New South Wales, 2809

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 June 1910 by the Bishop of Goulburn.

Read More