Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Denomination: Anglican


Exeter, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Exeter, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1916

Address: 91 Main Road, , Exeter Tasmania, 7075

The first move towards the establishment of a church at Exeter took place during the year 1910 when a meeting was held at the Hotel to discuss the purchase of a piece of land on which to build a church. Those attending that meeting included Rev. C. C. Macmichael, Messrs B. C. Archer, Spencer Priestley, George Bray and Eric Reid. It was…

Read More

Exton, TAS - Christ Church Anglican

Exton, TAS - Christ Church Anglican

Address: 3952 Meander Valley Road, , Exton Tasmania, 7304

Read More

Fenton's Creek, VIC - Anglican

Fenton's Creek, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Wedderburn- Logan Road, , Fenton's Creek Victoria, 3518

A local saw miller Mr John Brown obtianed the timber form a location called the rocky water hole. Mr George Catto a local carpenter erected the building. The church was offically opened on March 18 1887 by the Bishop of Ballarat. The second church was opened on March 20 1965.

Read More

Fern Tree, TAS - St Raphael's Anglican

Fern Tree, TAS - St Raphael's Anglican

Year Built: 1893

Address: 725 Huon Road, , Fern Tree Tasmania, 7054

In 1890 services at Fern Tree were being held in private homes and in the Inn. But in 1892 the foundation stone was laid and this Gothic style wooden church. The architect was Alan Walker and the cost was £447. It was consecrated in February 1893 and although surrounded by trees and bushes this church has survived two major bush fires.…

Read More

Fingal, TAS - St Peter's Anglican (Former)

Fingal, TAS - St Peter's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1868

Address: 2 Talbot Street, , Fingal Tasmania, 7214

On March 7th, 1867, Archdeacon Reibey of Entally laid the foundation stone of this beautiful little Church. The building was expected to cost £1,300, and there were eleven acres of land attached to it as a reserve, as well as five acres for a cemetery. The clergyman of the parish was the Revd. John Chambers of Cullenswood, who used to…

Read More

Finley, NSW - Holy Trinitiy Anglican

Finley, NSW - Holy Trinitiy Anglican

Year Built: 1925

Address: Corner Coree & Warrmatta Streets, , Finley New South Wales, 2713

Tenders were called by the Church of England for a brick building in March of 1925. The Finley Mail reported on 10 February that Mr Sheppard had been granted the contract to build the church. The Foundation stone was laid in 1925 by the Very Reverend Archdeacon Kitchen. The dedication service was held on Sunday 27 September at 3pm.…

Read More

Fitzroy, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Fitzroy, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1853

Address: Corner George & Moore Streets, , Fitzroy Victoria, 3065

Built in 1853 of blue stone, the foundation stone was laid on 1 July 1853. The architect was James Blackburn. An L Terry supervised the erection of stairs and the completion of the gallery in 1865 while the spire and tower were added in 1876 by the architect C Webb.

Read More

Flinders, VIC - St John's the Evangelist Anglican

Flinders, VIC - St John's the Evangelist Anglican

Address: 23 King Street, , Flinders Victoria, 3929

The Church was designed by architect William Barker and constructed in brick in the Gothic style. The original building consisted of nave of four bays, western porch and a small sanctuary. The building contract was let to J. Holloway of Dromana. Bricks were ordered from Mr Bayne of Shoreham. A Vicarage was built a few years later, and…

Read More

Floreat Park, WA - St Nicholas Anglican

Floreat Park, WA - St Nicholas Anglican

Address: 47 Berkley Crescent, , Floreat Park Western Australia,

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St John's Anglican

Forbes, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: Court Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

The first church was a wooden structure built in 1861 in the northwest corner of the church grounds and cost £150.00. St John's Church of England at Forbes was designed by B Backhouse and constructed between 1874 and 1877. It was built on land donated by Josiah Strickland who also gave £500 to the church building fund. The original…

Read More

Forest Hill, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Forest Hill, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 303 Canterbury Road, , Forest Hill Victoria, 3131

In 1955 a request for services to be held at Forest Hill were instigated and the Sunday School began on 6th November. On the 11th of March 1956 the first church service was held and named St Mark the Evangelist. By September 1957 a building plan was approved by the Diocese. In 1961 the Rev. Stephen Cherry, assistant curate in St…

Read More

Forest, TAS - St Bartholomews Anglican

Forest, TAS - St Bartholomews Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 506 Mengah Road, , Forest Tasmania, 7330

Read More

Forrest, VIC - St James-Anglican

Forrest, VIC - St James-Anglican

Address: Grant Street, , Forrest Victoria, 3236

Read More

Foster, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Foster, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1962

Address: 34 Station Road, , Foster Victoria, 3960

The first church in Foster was licenced on 24 October 1890. The church and vicarage were destroyed by the disastrous bushfires of 1898. The Parish Hall was built in 1928. The current brick church was built in 1962.

Read More

Franklin, TAS - St John's Anglican

Franklin, TAS - St John's Anglican

Address: Huon Highway, Franklin, Tasmania, 7113

Read More

Frankston, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Frankston, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 62 McMahons Road, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

Read More

Frankston, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Frankston, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner Bay & High Streets, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

The site was the location of the first church in Frankston in 1854. The foundation stone for a Church building was laid on 2nd February 1875 by Miss A.M. Baxter but the Church was not completed until 5th February 1887.

Read More

Freemantle, WA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Freemantle, WA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Address: Adelaide Street, , Freemantle Western Australia, 2795

Read More

Freestone, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Freestone, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Upper Freestone Road, , Freestone Queensland, 4370

On June 5th 1883, the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge based in London, made a grant of £20 towards the cost of constructing a wooden Church at Freestone Creek, the total cost of this Church was £175. The land was donated by the Palmer family. Services prior to the building of St Lukes were held at the home of Mr Shelley. The…

Read More

Gardenvale, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Gardenvale, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Year Built: 1928

Address: 111 North Road, , Gardenvale Victoria, 3185

The Foundation stone was laid on 10 March 1928 by the Right Reverend Arthur Vincent Green. The Architect was Louis R Williams and the builder was McBain Brothers.

Read More

Gatton, QLD - St Alban's Anglican

Gatton, QLD - St Alban's Anglican

Address: 68 Railway Street, , Gatton Queensland, 4343

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 June 1967 by the Most Reverend P.N.W. Strong archbishop of Brisbane.

Read More

Gawler, SA - St George's Anglican

Gawler, SA - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Orleana Square, , Gawler South Australia, 5118

The Church was built where Colonel Light had planned. The first part of the church (the nave) was built in 1858-64. In 1885 the transept and chancel were added and the tower was finally erected in 1908, with the bells being installed in 1921. One of the largest parish churches in South Australia constructed of roughly coursed bluestone…

Read More

Geelong, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Geelong, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: Corner Moorabool & McKillop Streets, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

The oldest Anglican church in Victoria. The Foundation stone was laid on 7 October 1843 by Willian Grant Broughton first Bishop of Australia. A simple Gothic style parish Church dating from 1847, has been described as; the oldest in Victoria in continuous use; and one which is associated with the earliest history of the Anglican Church…

Read More

Geelong, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Geelong, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1851

Address: 194 LaTrobe Terrace, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

The Church was opened on 15 December 1935 by his Grace the most Reverend Daniel Mannix Archbishop of Melbourne. Click on this link for the full history of the church.

Read More

Gembrook, VIC - St Silas Anglican

Gembrook, VIC - St Silas Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Main Street, , Gembrook Victoria, 3783

The Church was established in 1905.

Read More

George Town, TAS - All Saints Anglican

George Town, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Address: 3 Anne Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

The Original church was Saint Mary Magdalene's. The present Anglican Church is believed to be the fourth one. A chapel was erected in 1832, and used by visiting clergy from Launceston. This was replaced in 1838, and in 1841 the first resident priest was appointed, who was the Revd. J. Walker. Records of sacramental administrations go…

Read More

Gisborne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Gisborne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1951

Address: Corner Fisher & Brantome Streets, , Gisborne Victoria, 3437

Founded in 1855. A foundation stone was laid on 21 October 1951 by his Honour Leut General Sir E. F. Herring Chief Justice of Victoria. The Foundation stone has a stone from Canterbury Cathedral inlaid into it. The last service in the old Church was held on 7 February 1949 and they continued in the Masonic Hall until the new Church was…

Read More

Gladstone, SA - St Alban's Anglican

Gladstone, SA - St Alban's Anglican

Address: Sixth Street, , Gladstone South Australia, 5473

Read More

Glebe, NSW - St John's Bishopthorp Anglican

Glebe, NSW - St John's Bishopthorp Anglican

Year Built: 1868

Address: Corner St Johns & Glebe Point Road, , Glebe New South Wales, 2037

Built of Sandstone in Norman Romanesque style the church was designed Edmund Blackett, and was opened in 1857. It was opened by Bishop Barker on 21 December 1870. The church was built in 1868-70 to the design of prominent architects Edmund Blacket and John Horbury Hunt, with the vestry and tower, both designed by Cyril Blacket,…

Read More

Glen  Huntly, VIC - St Agnes Anglican

Glen Huntly, VIC - St Agnes Anglican

Year Built: 1924

Address: 112 Booran Road, , Glen Huntly Victoria, 3163

The first church was opened in 1888. The Church was built in 1924 and subsequently to the design of the noted firm of Melbourne architects, Grainger, Little, Barlow and Hawkins. It is historically and aesthetically significant. Of the Italian Romanesque style which is enhanced by the high level of integrity of the place, the…

Read More

Glenelg, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Glenelg, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 1 Torrens Square, , Glenelg South Australia, 5045

The first church was built in 1852, designed by Edmund Wright and built by Henry Moseley.2 In 1881 it was announced that the old church was to be demolished. The replacement, again to the design of Wright, was to be built in sections commencing with nave and chancel. The western porch (1924) is the last structural addition. Squared…

Read More

Gnowengerup, WA - St Margaret's Anglican

Gnowengerup, WA - St Margaret's Anglican

Address: 7 Youngenup Road , , Gnowengerup Western Australia, 6335

Read More

Goodwood, SA - St George's Anglican

Goodwood, SA - St George's Anglican

Address: 117 Goodwood Street, , Goodwood South Australia, 5034

Read More

Goolgowi, NSW - St Giles Anglican

Goolgowi, NSW - St Giles Anglican

Address: Farrer Street, , Goolgowi New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Goolwa, SA - Holy Evangelist Anglican

Goolwa, SA - Holy Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: Cadell Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

In August 1865, the Anglican residents of Goolwa resolved to make every effort to erect a church in Goolwa. A building committee was appointed, consisting of Dr. T. Taylor, Messrs B. Sunman, T. Goode (merchant), Alan Doke, Newell, B. Varcoe E. Dutton, Smyth, W. Ray, Baldock, Joseph Field (butcher), Laffin, Shettliffe (later Shetliff),…

Read More

Goombungee, QLD - St Mark's Anglican

Goombungee, QLD - St Mark's Anglican

Address: King Street, , Goombungee Queensland, 4354

Read More

Goondiwindi, QLD - Anglican

Goondiwindi, QLD - Anglican

Address: 43 Bowen Street, , Goondiwindi Queensland, 4390

The first Anglican service was held by Archdeacon Glennie at Wyaga in 1848, and there were station chapels at Umbercollie and Callandoon, it was not until January 1871 that public interest was raised to build a permanent church in Goondiwindi town. The first church on the present site was dedicated on 23 April 1882 by Bishop Hale. A…

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - St Saviour's Anglican Cathedral

Goulburn, NSW - St Saviour's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1839

Address: 170 Bourke Street, , Goulburn New South Wales, 2580

This is the second of two churches built on this site. The first was erected in 1839. The Foundation stone for the current Cathedral was laid in 1874. The Cathedral was designed by the leading colonial Ecclesiastical Architect, Edmund Blackett. The Church is built of white sandstone and reflects the characteristics of a Victorian…

Read More

Grange, SA - St Agnes Anglican

Grange, SA - St Agnes Anglican

Year Built: 1885

Address: 200 Military Road, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The original foundation stone was laid by the Bishop on August 1 1885. The Jubilee Foundation stone was laid by the Very Reverend Dean Young on 15 September 1936.

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Greensborough, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1967

Address: Corner Main Street & Church Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

Church of England services can be traced back to around 1886. The first services took place in a barn owned by Major Anthony Bealle who "selected" St Helena near Greensborough in 1839. A weatherboard church along with a school and vicarage were built in 1889 and were located where the current church is situated. The school was…

Read More