Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Saint: John


Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1839

Address: 14 St John Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The land on which the church is built was donated by Osmond Gillies to the Church of England. The Foundation stone was laid on 19 October 1839 by Lieutenant Colonel George Gawler, Governor of the Province. The church was opened on Sunday, 24th October, 1841 by the Rev C.B. Howard assisted by the Rev Jas. Farrell. In 1886 the original…

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1937

Address: 39 Downey Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The first church of St John's in Alexandra was built in 1868 and is now the parish ahll. The building was moved from a more southerly site in town to the present position in 1938. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid by Reverend Douglas Blake on 18 November 1937. The present church is of reinforced concrete designed by…

Read More

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Year Built: 1892

Address: 1404 Lower Marshes Road, , Apsley Tasmania, 7030

Read More

Auburn, SA - St John's Anglican

Auburn, SA - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1862

Address: 17 St Vincent Street, , Auburn South Australia, 5451

A Gothic Revival church constructed form Auburn bluestone with quoins and dressings of Watervale sandstone it was built by Pike and Dale in 1862. Joseph Meller and James Scott cut the stone and Joseph Jones was one of the stone masons employed on this project. The roof is of Welsh slate while the steps are of Mintaro slate. The Hall…

Read More

Auburn, SA - St John's Lutheran

Auburn, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: Curling Street, , Auburn South Australia, 5451

The Church was formerly a primitive Methodist church. Made of stone with bluestone quoins and dressings it was built by Joseph Meller in 1869 on part of an Aboriginal corroboree ground. After church union it was used as a Sunday school then sold in 1889 to the Orange Lodge a protestant group of Irish background. Purchased in 1927 by…

Read More

Avoca, VIC - St John the Devine Anglican

Avoca, VIC - St John the Devine Anglican

Address: Corner Russell & Barnett Streets, , Avoca Victoria, 3467

Read More

Ballan, VIC - St John's Anglican

Ballan, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1862

Address: 56 Simpson Street, , Ballan Victoria, 3342

Built in 1862 and consecrated in 1879 of locally mined bluestone, this typically Gothic church, which has seating capacity of 150, originally featured a high pitched roof of slate, that was replaced with terra cotta tiles in the 1950s. At the same time the original concrete floor was replaced with Tasmanian hardwood. An entrance porch was…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Ballarat, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1865

Address: Soldiers Hill, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

A meeting of interested persons was held at the Olive Branch Hotel 6 December 1861 to discuss the formation of a church. A further meeting was held at the North Star Hotel on 24 September 1862 to canvas more funds. During this time services were held in a tent on the Lydiard Street site.* The foundation stone was laid on 15 March 1864…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Johns Lutheran

Ballarat, VIC - St Johns Lutheran

Address: 203 Doveton Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner High Street & Milton Road, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

The site for St John's was selected in July 1900 by Archpriest McKenna from St Mary's, Geelong and had formerly been owned by R. Phillip. A tender from J.C. Taylor & Sons was accepted in October 1900 and the church was constructed at a cost of 437 pounds. The church opened early in April 1901 with the first mass conducted by the Rev.…

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bannockburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 23 Byron Street, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

Read More

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Address: Hill Street, , Beaufort Victoria, 3373

Read More

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: Leichardt Street, , Beaufort Victoria, 3373

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's Anglican

Address: Sheoak Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Year Built: 1898

Address: James Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 24 September 1898 by the Bishop of the Diocese.

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1897

Address: 35 - 41 Forest Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

St. John's Presbyterian Church was opened in 1874 and located in Forest Street near the Barnard Street. By 1885 the Church was destroyed by fire. A new Church building was opened in 1897 on the same site. A Foundation stone was laid in November 1858 by Rev L.D. Bevan. In 1949 plans were preparred for the demolition of the church and…

Read More

Bentleigh, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bentleigh, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: Corner Tucker & Centre Roads, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Blackburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: 5 Queens Street, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

The Government granted land in 1861 to the Church of England in Bedford Street - an area which stretched From the present Bedford Street, Box Hill to Canterbury Road, then called Delaney's Road. Charles Bedford was Secretary to the Vestry of the local Church of England for many years. The Bedford Road Church was a brick building also used…

Read More

Boorowa, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Boorowa, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: 38 Queen Street, , Boorowa New South Wales, 2586

The Church was established in 1861. Plaque inside gate reads, In Memory of the Soldier Sons of the Church in the Parish, Who gave their lives in The Great War 1914-1918. Their names are inscribed on the Lamp of Remembrance, given by their Comrades.

Read More

Branxton, NSW - St John's Anglican

Branxton, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: 45 Cessnock Road, , Branxton New South Wales, 2335

Read More

Bungaree, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bungaree, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 335 Bungaree Wallace Road, , Bungaree Victoria, 3352

A meeting of locals was held in November of 1865 and the committee decided to purchase land where todays church is located. The first church service was held at Mr Benham's home on 6 January 1867. In April, 1866 it was proposed that the church be of stone, 25 feet by 40 feet with a hardwood floor and shingle roof. The walls to be 18…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St John's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 552 Burke Road, , Camberwell Victoria,

The first church opened on 8 February 1863, but Anglican worship in Camberwell began in 1856 in the home of Mr. James Price in what is now Burke Road. Mr. Price, who was later known in family memory as a lay reader at St John's, possibly conducted the first worship himself. The following year, the first church, then known simply as the…

Read More

Cambrai, SA - St John's Lutheran

Cambrai, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: Corner Marne & Skinner Streets, , Cambrai South Australia, 5353

The original church was built of stone in 1904. The separate hall was erected in 1963.

Read More

Campsie, NSW - St John's Anglican

Campsie, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1911

Address: Anzac Square, , Campsie New South Wales, 2194

The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend John Charles Wright D.D. Archbishop of Sydney on 22 April 1911.

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Clifton Hill, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Year Built: 1876

Address: 61 Queens Parade, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068

Construction commenced in 1876 and by July the walls were being erected.

Read More

Colac, VIC - St John's Anglican

Colac, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: Corner Hessie & Pollack Streets, , Colac Victoria, 3250

The Church of St John's is a fine brick building set prominently on a busy corner in the midst of the old residential area of the town. The present building replaces the first church on the site, which was dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The new building constructed from plans prepared by Messrs Henderson and Davidson was opened…

Read More

Condowie, SA - St John's Lutheran

Condowie, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1876

The Church was established in 1876. A hall beside the church was erected in 1952 and opened and dedicated on February 8 1953 by Pastor L.H. Leskie.

Read More

Coolana, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Coolana, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Address: Minden Lowood Road, , Coolana Queensland, 4311

Read More

Cowra, NSW - St John's Anglican

Cowra, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1955

Address: 98 Kendall Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

The foundation stone was laid on 29 October 1955 by his Excellency the Governor of NSW Lieutenant General Sir John Northcott KC MC.

Read More

Cranbourne, VIC - St John's Anglican

Cranbourne, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: Corner Childers & Russell streets, , Cranbourne Victoria, 3977

Read More

Crystal Brook, SA - St John's Lutheran

Crystal Brook, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Stanley Street, , Crystal Brook South Australia, 5523

The first know existence of Lutheran's in this area forming a church was recorded in February 1881 when several families met for a service in the home of A.F. Noll. For the next 17 years all services were held there. By 1897 the room in the Noll home could not hold all the congregation so it was decided a church was needed. The foundation…

Read More

Dalby, QLD - St John's Anglican

Dalby, QLD - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1922

Address: 153 Cunningham Street, , Dalby Queensland, 4405

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Honourable H.W.B. Forster of Lepe on 29 August 1922. St John's Church, Dalby is a brick church constructed in 1922-1923 to the design of Harry Marks and is the third church of this name on the site. The previous timber church, built in 1876, remained on the site in a modified form as part of a…

Read More

Devonport, TAS - St John's Anglican

Devonport, TAS - St John's Anglican

Address: 9B Fenton Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310

The Church opened on Sunday 15 May 1887 and by 1913, the foundation stone for a tower was laid by Bishop Mercer. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was set by the Right Rev G.F. Cranswick BA. TH D Lord Bishop of Tasmania 26 February 1956, H.A. Jerrim Rector". The church hall next door has a foundation stone that reads,…

Read More

Diamond Creek, VIC - St John's Anglican

Diamond Creek, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: Corner Hyde & Main Street, , Diamond Creek Victoria, 3089

The first recorded Church of England services were conducted by the Rev. Francis Hales. In 1860 Diamond Creek came under the jurisdiction of the Eltham parish - with the Rev R Mackie, and then the Rev Josiah Hollis as vicars. The building was designed by Charles Maplestone of Heidelberg, son-in-law to Anthony Beale of St Helena.…

Read More

Donvale, VIC - St John's Anglican (Former)

Donvale, VIC - St John's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1907

Address: 272 Springvale Road, , Donvale Victoria, 3111

The land at 283 Springvale Rd on which the 110 year old church and hall sits was sold to Manningham Council in the 1970’s for the use of and care by the Council. It reflects poorly on councils past that in 2006, a property heritage report was ignored and the property was sold in 2008. The Church was built by volunteer labour. At 3…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 5 Finch Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

Founded as a mission to Caulfield Racecourse in 1883 the original church was built in 1889. The current church was built between 1920 and 1922. The Architect was Purchase and Teague. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 December 1920 by the Venerable Archdeacon Hindley B.D. Administrator of the Diocese. An example of the English…

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St John's Uniting

Elsternwick, VIC - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1915

Address: 567 Glen Huntly Road, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3188

The first service was conducted by the Rev George Faulds in the Court House (31 October). He is to become the first permanent minister at the Caulfield Presbyterian Church. In 1915 Architects are requested to invite fresh tenders for a new church. The tender for the new church was accepted for £2,787. A Foundation stone reads, " This…

Read More

Enoggera, QLD - St John the Baptist Catholic

Enoggera, QLD - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: 137 South Pine Road, , Enoggera Queensland, 4051

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Epping, VIC - St John's Anglican

Epping, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 789 High Street, , Epping Victoria, 3076

The earliest recorded Anglican service in Epping was held in September 1863. The Anglican community, anxious to erect their own permanent church but unhappy with the low-lying site allocated to them near the Darebin Creek, applied to the Government for an alternative one, and the present two acre site in High Street was gazetted on 5 May…

Read More

Esperence, WA - St John's Lutheran

Esperence, WA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: 15 Backland Street, , Esperence Western Australia, 6450

The Church was opened in 1958. The Lutheran presence was first established in the Esperance region when South Australian farmers Walter and Grace Schultz took up land on Bows Road in Gibson in 1958.

Read More