Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: South Australia, Denomination: Anglican


Adelaide, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Adelaide, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: North Terrace, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The first Foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1838 by the Governor of South Australia Governor Hindmarsh. A subsequent Foundation stone was laid on 7 May 1887 by George Mayo F.R.C.S England. Other Foundation can no Man lay than that is laid which is Jesus Christ. This is the first church in South Australia. The original structure…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1839

Address: 14 St John Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The land on which the church is built was donated by Osmond Gillies to the Church of England. The Foundation stone was laid on 19 October 1839 by Lieutenant Colonel George Gawler, Governor of the Province. The church was opened on Sunday, 24th October, 1841 by the Rev C.B. Howard assisted by the Rev Jas. Farrell. In 1886 the original…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1855

Address: 21 Whitmore Square, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The Church is one of the most significant in Adelaide. The first part of it was built in 1855. It remains one of the earliest Anglican Churches in Adelaide. Divine Service appears to have been first conducted in a Schoolroom in Hobson's Place, between Sturt and Wright Streets. In December, 181-)3, a meeting was held in Hole Trinity…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Mary Magdalene Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St Mary Magdalene Anglican

Year Built: 1841

Address: 26 Moore Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

1841 - 1846 One of the oldest buildings in South Australia, the church was originally built in 1841 on the site on which St John's, Halifax Street now stands where it was commonly known as "St John's in the Wilderness" for its remoteness from the busier northern part of Adelaide. The church was poorly built, for it was condemned and…

Read More

Alberton, SA - St George's Anglican

Alberton, SA - St George's Anglican

Address: 88 Port Road, , Alberton South Australia, 5014

Read More

Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 4 Arkaba Road, , Aldgate South Australia, 5154

The Foundation stone of the church was laid on October 22 1892. The Church is a simple stone and brick building 20 feet x 30 feet. An extension of just over 3 meters was made at the eastern end, and a porch and vestry were added in 1961. The Architect for this was Dean W. Berry and the builder was H.J. Were.

Read More

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: Main South Road, , Aldinga South Australia, 5173

In 1866 residents of Aldinga called a meeting to consider the advisability of erecting a Church. An acre of land was presented by the South Australian Company and the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Short. Total cost was £785. Building opened for service by Dean Farrell and was consecrated. The Church is a simple stone chapel derived…

Read More

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: Schilling Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1931 by Lord Bishop of Adelaide Arthur Nutter. The Architect was Dean W Berry.

Read More

Auburn, SA - St John's Anglican

Auburn, SA - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1862

Address: 17 St Vincent Street, , Auburn South Australia, 5451

A Gothic Revival church constructed form Auburn bluestone with quoins and dressings of Watervale sandstone it was built by Pike and Dale in 1862. Joseph Meller and James Scott cut the stone and Joseph Jones was one of the stone masons employed on this project. The roof is of Welsh slate while the steps are of Mintaro slate. The Hall…

Read More

Balhannah, Sout Australia - St Thomas' Anglican

Balhannah, Sout Australia - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1865

Address: Cnr Onkaparinga Valley & Junction Rd, Balhannah, , Balhannah South Australia, 5242

There is no record of the building of the original church but it seems to have been erected in 1848. It was intended to be a school building as it had a chimney. A new Church was proposed in 1864. Such good progress was made that in October 1864 the Church committee was in a position to accept Mr. Robert Page's plans and to call fur…

Read More

Barmera, SA - St Edmun's Anglican

Barmera, SA - St Edmun's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 1 Langdon Terrace, , Barmera South Australia, 5345

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Right Reverend Thomas Thornton Reed M.A. D Litt ThD Bishop of Adelaide 18th August 1957".

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's Anglican

Address: Sheoak Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Year Built: 1898

Address: James Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 24 September 1898 by the Bishop of the Diocese.

Read More

Blair Athol, SA - St Clement's Anglican

Blair Athol, SA - St Clement's Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: 341 Main North Road, , Blair Athol South Australia, 5084

The Church was opened in 1858. Stained glass windows by world acclaimed South Australian glass artist, Cedar Prest.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Bordertown, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: McLeod Street, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Anglican

Bridgewater, SA - Anglican

Address: Mount Barker Road, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

Read More

Brighton, SA - St Jude's Anglican

Brighton, SA - St Jude's Anglican

Address: 443 Brighton Road, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

Read More

Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: 8 Market Street, , Burra South Australia, 5417

The original church of St Mary’s was located at the junction of Ware and Church Streets in 1849. The land for the present church was donated by the South Australian Mining Association. It was built in the Gothic style and by the local firm of Sara & Dunstan to the design by G.F. McLagan, who came to live in Kooringa from Melbourne. The…

Read More

Clare, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Clare, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1852

Address: 25 Farrell Flat Road, , Clare South Australia, 5453

Built in 1851, in simple Gothic Revival design, St Barnabas was the outcome of much active lobbying by the founder of Clare, E. B. Gleeson, and other local people of influence. It is one of the earliest surviving rural Anglican churches of its type and reflects the religious aspirations of settlers at the time. Land was granted for a…

Read More

Clarence Gardens, SA - St Francis of Assisi Anglican

Clarence Gardens, SA - St Francis of Assisi Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: Dinwoodie Avenue, , Clarence Gardens South Australia, 5039

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 February 1964 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed.

Read More

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - All Saints' Anglican

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - All Saints' Anglican

Address: Bedford Square, , Colonel Light Gardens South Australia, 5041

Read More

Crafers, SA - Church of the Epiphany Anglican

Crafers, SA - Church of the Epiphany Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: Epiphany Place, , Crafers South Australia, 5152

The Church was built in 1878 on land donated by Henry Scott. It has a splendid music tradition, a lively choir and one of the finest pipe-organs in South Australia. Two Foundation stones on the northern wall commemorate the extensions, 11.11.1893, laid by Mrs Henry Scott (nee Emily Gooch), wife of Mr Scott M.P. of Goode How (later…

Read More

Crystal Brook, SA - St Silas Anglican

Crystal Brook, SA - St Silas Anglican

Year Built: 1911

Address: 58 Brandis Street, , Crystal Brook South Australia, 5523

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 April 1885 by Bishop Kennion and Reverend Mr Corvan and dedicated on 31 August 1885 according to the Adelaide Observer. Another The Foundation stone was laid on 29 March 1911 by Reverend Arch Deacon Samwell.

Read More

Curramulka, SA - St Christopher's Anglican

Curramulka, SA - St Christopher's Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: 10 Dans Road, , Curramulka South Australia, 5580

Curramulka came under the care of the SYP missioners in 1878 and Reverend W F Marshall, who lived at Edithburgh visited the area on several occasion's. These and other services were conducted in the school, the institute or peoples homes. In 1910 Mr Talbot donated land for a church, and by 1914 the church was built. It was dedicated for…

Read More

Delamere, SA - St James' Anglican

Delamere, SA - St James' Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: Main South Road, , Delamere South Australia, 5204

Constructed in a local basalt-like stone with cut sandstone dressings to windows and quoins. Foundation stone was laid 19 September 1870 by Archbishop Bussel. It was dedicated and opened by Bishop Augustus Short, attended by the Governor of the State. The floor is well tiled, the font is from St Peter's, Britford and is over 200 years…

Read More

Eudunda, SA - Church of St Hilda Anglican

Eudunda, SA - Church of St Hilda Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Ward Street, , Eudunda South Australia, 5374

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1883 and the church is the oldest stand church in Eudunda. The church was dedicated as St Trinitatis Lutheran Church in 1884. It was sold to the Church of England in 1888 and dedicated in 1889. The Vestry dates fr0m 1885.

Read More

Gawler, SA - St George's Anglican

Gawler, SA - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Orleana Square, , Gawler South Australia, 5118

The Church was built where Colonel Light had planned. The first part of the church (the nave) was built in 1858-64. In 1885 the transept and chancel were added and the tower was finally erected in 1908, with the bells being installed in 1921. One of the largest parish churches in South Australia constructed of roughly coursed bluestone…

Read More

Gladstone, SA - St Alban's Anglican

Gladstone, SA - St Alban's Anglican

Address: Sixth Street, , Gladstone South Australia, 5473

Read More

Glenelg, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Glenelg, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 1 Torrens Square, , Glenelg South Australia, 5045

The first church was built in 1852, designed by Edmund Wright and built by Henry Moseley. In 1881 it was announced that the old church was to be demolished. The replacement, again to the design of Wright, was to be built in sections commencing with nave and chancel. The western porch (1924) is the last structural addition. Squared…

Read More

Goodwood, SA - St George's Anglican

Goodwood, SA - St George's Anglican

Address: 117 Goodwood Street, , Goodwood South Australia, 5034

Read More

Goolwa, SA - Holy Evangelist Anglican

Goolwa, SA - Holy Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: Cadell Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

In August 1865, the Anglican residents of Goolwa resolved to make every effort to erect a church in Goolwa. A building committee was appointed, consisting of Dr. T. Taylor, Messrs B. Sunman, T. Goode (merchant), Alan Doke, Newell, B. Varcoe E. Dutton, Smyth, W. Ray, Baldock, Joseph Field (butcher), Laffin, Shettliffe (later Shetliff),…

Read More

Grange, SA - St Agnes Anglican

Grange, SA - St Agnes Anglican

Year Built: 1885

Address: 200 Military Road, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The original foundation stone was laid by the Bishop on August 1 1885. The Jubilee Foundation stone was laid by the Very Reverend Dean Young on 15 September 1936.

Read More

Hawthorn, SA - St Columba's Anglican

Hawthorn, SA - St Columba's Anglican

Year Built: 1898

Address: 101 Cross Road, , Hawthorn South Australia, 5062

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 May 1898.

Read More

Henley Beach, SA - St Michael and All Angels Anglican

Henley Beach, SA - St Michael and All Angels Anglican

Year Built: 1922

Address: Corner Military Road & South Street, , Henley Beach South Australia, 5022

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 February 1922 by John Barker Esq.

Read More

Jamestown, SA - Anglican

Jamestown, SA - Anglican

Address: 76 Irvine Street, , Jamestown South Australia, 5491

A Mr Techritz offered to draw the plans for a church for Two Guineas and tenders for the building of a church 30 feet x 15 feet were to be called. By May 1875 a Mrs Riddell was busily collecting funds a harmonium and no doubt the committee felt confident that this would soon be housed in a fine church. The Foundation stone was laid by…

Read More

Kadina, SA - Christ Church Anglican

Kadina, SA - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: 26 Hay Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

The Foundation stone was laid on 18 November 1910 by Lord Bishop of Adelaide Arthur Nutter.

Read More

Kapunda, SA - Christ Church Anglican

Kapunda, SA - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1856

Address: Crase Street, , Kapunda South Australia, 5373

The foundation stone was laid 28 April 1856 by Dr Blood. The interior of the church is restful and dignified. Small sanctuary and large chancel flanked by organ and choir stools to form the transept. The nave piers go hard up against the wall on each side. The roof is a scissor beam which is exposed and very pleasant. Enlarged 1868,…

Read More

Keith, SA - St Catherine of Alexandra Anglican

Keith, SA - St Catherine of Alexandra Anglican

Address: Memorial Avenue, , Keith South Australia, 5267

Read More

Kensington Gardens, SA - Anglican

Kensington Gardens, SA - Anglican

Address: 17 East Terrace, , Kensington Gardens South Australia, 5068

Read More

Kingston SE, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Kingston SE, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: 59 Agnes Street, , Kingston SE South Australia, 5275

Read More