Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Anglican


Blackburn North, VIC - St Alfred's Anglican

Blackburn North, VIC - St Alfred's Anglican

Address: 107 Springfield Road, , Blackburn North Victoria, 3130

In 1883 a building had been constructed on the corner of Whitehorse road and Francom Street. This became the main centre for Anglican worship but in 1889 it was moved to Box Hill and was later burnt down. The foundation meeting for an Anglican church in Blackburn was held in the home of Thomas Morton in Blackburn Road, was attended by…

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Blackburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: 5 Queens Street, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

The Government granted land in 1861 to the Church of England in Bedford Street - an area which stretched From the present Bedford Street, Box Hill to Canterbury Road, then called Delaney's Road. Charles Bedford was Secretary to the Vestry of the local Church of England for many years. The Bedford Road Church was a brick building also used…

Read More

Blackwood, VIC - All Sain't Anglican

Blackwood, VIC - All Sain't Anglican

Address: Prayer Hill Lane, , Blackwood Victoria, 3458

Read More

Boisdale, VIC - St George's Anglican

Boisdale, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: Main Street, , Boisdale Victoria, 3860

A plaque on the brick fence reads, " This fence is erected in memory of Trevor Harvey Died Dec 9th 1952".

Read More

Boort, VIC - St Andrews Anglican

Boort, VIC - St Andrews Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 51 Lakewview Street, , Boort Victoria, 3537

The first service was held at the "Boort" station woolshed on October 6th. 1850, and- in St. Andrew's there is a memorial prayer desk to "Frederic Race Godfrey, Pioneer-"Boort" station 1847-1863". The Rev. Drought, a descendent of the Godfreys, preached the first sermon in the present church. The original St. Andrew's was owned by the…

Read More

Boronia, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Boronia, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1971

Address: Corner Dorset Road & William Street, , Boronia Victoria, 3155

In 1923 the Boronia parish was part of the Ferntree Gully District. By 1937 the Ferntree Gully district was split into two. St Paul's remained part of this District.* In 1938 services were held in the Progress Hall by Reverend Brown. It seems they held services in a hall in Whitehorse Raod Ringwood which they later purchased for 25.00…

Read More

Box Hill South, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Box Hill South, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1970

Address: 10 Surrey Street, , Box Hill South Victoria, 3128

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Reverend R.W. Dann on 24 May 1970. The Architect was John Roseenthal and the Vicar was C.N. Thomas.

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Box Hill, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: Whitehorse Road, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The first church was erected in 1861 at the corner of Canterbury Road and Bedford Street at a cost of 300.00. By 1883 a new church was erected on the corner of Whitehorse Road and Frankcom Street on land donated by Mr Stewart Sergeant. The foundation stone was laid on 15 May 1883.* The church was to be in the Gothic style constructed…

Read More

Breakaway Creek, VIC - St Philips Anglican (Former)

Breakaway Creek, VIC - St Philips Anglican (Former)

Address: 3 Lake Condah Road, , Breakaway Creek Victoria, 3303

Built by Cecil Pybus Cooke of Lake Condah Station in memory of his wife Arabella. A timber church built and opened 24th March 1894. The Church was sold in 2023.

Read More

Bridgewater on Loddon, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Bridgewater on Loddon, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: 44 Calder Highway, , Bridgewater on Loddon Victoria, 3516

Read More

Bright, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Bright, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Address: 1 Church Street, , Bright Victoria, 3741

Read More

Brighton Beach, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Brighton Beach, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 77 Were Street, , Brighton Beach Victoria, 3186

In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Brighton Beach’s Anglicans worshipped at St Peter’s Chapel of Ease in Lynch Street, which formed part of the Parish of Saint Andrews in Brighton.

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Brighton, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1850

Address: Corner Church & New Streets, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

In 1842, the first St Andrew's Church building was opened on 30 November. The second church was opened on 29 August 1850, The Right Reverend Charles Perry, Bishop of Melbourne, laid the foundation stone for a rectangular ironstone church, designed by architect, Melbourne city surveyor and St Andrew's parishioner, Charles Laing.[8] This…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Brighton, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Year Built: 1928

Address: 111 North Road, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

Read More

Brim, VIC - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Brim, VIC - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Address: 29 Swann Street, , Brim Victoria, 3391

Read More

Broadford, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Broadford, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: High Street, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

The (new) Church was opened on 26 April 1874. It was built by a Mr Woods. In 1892 Kilmore and Broadford seperated and on Easter Sunday the Rev H. Braddock was inducted as Broadford's first resident Priest. The Church was consecrated 19 years after it opened by Bishop Goe.

Read More

Brunswick West, VIC - St John's Anglican

Brunswick West, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1930

Address: 494 Victoria Street, , Brunswick West Victoria, 3055

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God This stone was laid by the Most Reverend Frederick Waldegrave Head B.D. Archbishop of Melbourne 1st February 1930 Louise Williams & Cockrell Architects".

Read More

Brunswick, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Brunswick, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1857

Address: 6 Glenlyon Road, , Brunswick Victoria, 3056

A stucco rendered brick Church of cruciform plan and detached campanile was erected in four stages between 1857 and 1875. Architects were Purchas and Sawyer who designed the nave in 1857. Smith and Watts completed the transfers, chancel and vestry between 1863 and 1864 and the campanile between 1870 and 1871. Whilst Frederick Wyatt was…

Read More

Bruthen, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Bruthen, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Address: 7 Church Street, , Bruthen Victoria, 3885

The Vicarage was acquired approximately in 1892. The Parish hall was built in 1966. Over 400 people attended the opening.

Read More

Buchan, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Buchan, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Address: Main Road, , Buchan Victoria, 3885

Read More

Bulla, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Bulla, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1850

Address: Bulla Road, , Bulla Victoria, 3428

The land was donated by Anne Greene of Woodlands Homestead. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Perry on 15 January 1850 but has never been found. A Gothic church of random coursed squared bluestone rubble designed by Thomas M Taylor and opened in 1858. The church was originally situated on the corner of Oaklands and Bulla Roads.…

Read More

Bulleen, VIC - St Timothy's Anglican

Bulleen, VIC - St Timothy's Anglican

Address: 169 Thompson's Road, , Bulleen Victoria, 3105

Before it was known as St. Timothy’s Anglican Church Bulleen, the Bulleen Anglican Centre was situated in an empty grocer’s shop in the Kalay Shopping Centre. The location of services was later moved to the doctor’s surgery adjacent to the original shop. On July 29, 1962, the Vicar announced that the Bishop had approved the name of…

Read More

Bundoora, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Bundoora, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: Corner Grimshaw Street & Alma Road, , Bundoora Victoria, 3083

The first recorded meeting of the parish was held on the 27th of June 1962 and the first service was held in the Bundoora Hall on August 19th 1962. The first church building was a small rectangular building, attached to the parish hall, with a capacity of 60 people. On the 16th of December 1967 the corner stone for the Hall/Chapel…

Read More

Bungaree, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bungaree, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 335 Bungaree Wallace Road, , Bungaree Victoria, 3352

A meeting of locals was held in November of 1865 and the committee decided to purchase land where todays church is located. The first church service was held at Mr Benham's home on 6 January 1867. In April, 1866 it was proposed that the church be of stone, 25 feet by 40 feet with a hardwood floor and shingle roof. The walls to be 18…

Read More

Buninyong, VIC - Anglican

Buninyong, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1862

Address: 706 Warrenheip Street, , Buninyong Victoria, 3357

The Church was opened in 1862, five years after the first Anglican Services were held in the old Buninyong Police Court. A historical wall plaque reads, " When the Irishman Rev. Garrett Russell arrived at Buninyong in 1857 as the first minister, there was no church or school. The original brick church-school at the rear was ready for…

Read More

Bunyip, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Bunyip, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1902

Address: 26 A'Beckett Street, , Bunyip Victoria, 3815

The Bunyip Parish of St. Thomas' was originally part of the Gippsland Fort mission in 1879 and early church services were held In Kraft's Hall. By the early 1890': a-proper church was being planned, and fund raising began In December 1891. On 15 October 1902, Mrs W. A. A'Beckett Snr of Brighton laid the foundation block for the new…

Read More

Burwood East, VIC - Anglican Church of Ascension

Burwood East, VIC - Anglican Church of Ascension

Year Built: 1969

Address: Corner Blackburn Road & Witchwood Street, , Burwood East Victoria, 3151

The Church was dedicated on Ascension day in 1969 by the Archbishop of Melbourne, the Most Reverend Frank Woods.

Read More

Buxton, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Buxton, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Address: Maroondah Highway, , Buxton Victoria, 3711

The Church was consecrarted on 3 May 1895 by the Lord Bishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Camberwell South, VIC - Anglican

Camberwell South, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1930

Address: Corner Toorak & Park Roads, , Camberwell South Victoria,

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 June 1930 by F.J. Cato Esq.

Read More

Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Corner Toorak & Bowen Street, , Camberwell South Victoria, 3124

The establishment of a Church in South Camberwell was mooted in July, 1916, when the Vicar of our Mother Church, St. John's, Camberwell, the Rev. A. Roscoe Wilson, suggested to the Archbishop the purchase of land in the district for that purpose. It was recorded that the erection of a Church Hall in this area, to be known as St. Mary's,…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Dunstan's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Dunstan's Anglican

Year Built: 1966

Address: 163 Wattle Valley Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

In 1925 communications between the Reverend Walter Green then of Murrumbeena, and the Vicar elect of East Camberwell resulted in an exploritory visit to Wattle Valley Road which was duly selected as the centre of the new parish. In 1960 plans for completion of Church submitted to Vestry by architect Louis Williams. By 1966 a contract…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St John's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 552 Burke Road, , Camberwell Victoria,

The first church opened on 8 February 1863, but Anglican worship in Camberwell began in 1856 in the home of Mr. James Price in what is now Burke Road. Mr. Price, who was later known in family memory as a lay reader at St John's, possibly conducted the first worship himself. The following year, the first church, then known simply as the…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1927

Address: 1 Canterbury Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

A site at the corner of Stanhope Grove and Canterbury Road was contemplated initially. The current site was purchased at auction in 1912. The first service was conducted at 11am on Sunday 27 April 1913 when 29 people attended. At the 7pm service 55 people attended. Rev Brooksbanks conviend a public meeting in Adam's assembly hall…

Read More

Camperdown, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Camperdown, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1863

Address: Corner Church & Fergusson Streets, , Camperdown Victoria, 3260

The building of St Paul's Parish Church commenced in 1863 with substantial contributions from families whose descendants still worship in the parish. With local tradesmen directing the stonework and carpentry, both the church and the vicarage were completed within four months. The Church was built in three stages with chancel and…

Read More

Cann River, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Cann River, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Address: 22 Princess Highway, , Cann River Victoria, 3890

The Church was licenced and dedicated on 29 February 1928.

Read More

Caramut, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Caramut, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Address: 24 Brown Street, , Caramut Victoria, 3274

A stone block in the garden reads, " This fence was given by the Presbyterian Congregation of Caramut 1960".

Read More

Carisbrook, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Carisbrook, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 4 Urquhart Street, , Carisbrook Victoria, 3464

Anglican services were first held in Carisbrook in 1851. In 1854 church services and a school were conducted in the Parish Hall. In 1864 - 1866 the present blue stone church was erected. The interior was renovated in 1966 and the vestry was added in 1972. On October 2015 St Paul’s Carisbrook was deconsecrated as a place of worship,…

Read More

Carlton, VIC - St Jude's Anglican

Carlton, VIC - St Jude's Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: 351 Lygon Street, , Carlton Victoria, 3053

The church was built in two stages, the first between 1866 and 1867 and the second between 1869 and 1870. It was designed by Reed and Barnes. The builder was John Pigdon. The tower at the northeast corner was never erected and in 1935 was substituted by the present porch and Bell-cote. A foundation stone was laid on 14 September 1935…

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Carnegie, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1924

Address: 371 Neerim Road, , Carnegie Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Foundation stone of the Parish Church of St Peter's built for the worship of God and the teaching of the Catholic faith was laid by Harrington Clare Archbishop of Melbourne on Whitsun Eve A.D. 1924. Pasce Oves Meas. Louis R Williams Architect, R,J, Werner Builder".

Read More

Carrum Downs, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Carrum Downs, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 65 William Road, , Carrum Downs Victoria, 3201

Read More