Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Anglican


Donvale, VIC - St John's Anglican (Former)

Donvale, VIC - St John's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1907

Address: 272 Springvale Road, , Donvale Victoria, 3111

The land at 283 Springvale Rd on which the 110 year old church and hall sits was sold to Manningham Council in the 1970’s for the use of and care by the Council. It reflects poorly on councils past that in 2006, a property heritage report was ignored and the property was sold in 2008. The Church was built by volunteer labour. At 3…

Read More

Dookie, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Dookie, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 26 - 36 Baldock Street, , Dookie Victoria, 3646

The Church was constructed in c.1892 by local builders Alexander and Torgrimson, who also provided the furniture. Dedication of the new church was performed by the Bishop of Wangaratta on Friday 31 July 1903. A rectory was built to the east of the church in 1895. This was sold in 1976 and relocated to Tocumwal Road, near Devenish for use…

Read More

Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: Corner Point Nepean & Odonohue Roads, , Dromana Victoria, 3936

Construction of St Mark's of Dromana was commenced in 1892. Prior to this, regular services had been held in private homes. Between 1885 and 1892, the Union church on the corner of Heales Street and Point Nepean Road was used by the Anglican congregation. In August 1892 George Morce won the tender for the building of the new church to the…

Read More

Drouin, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Drouin, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1936

Address: 4 Frances Avenue, , Drouin Victoria, 3818

When the Drouin Mechanics Institute, with hall and meeting room, was opened in May 1879 Church of England church services were transferred to that building from the Shire Office. The original Christ Church was built in 1880 on land donated on cnr Grant St and Albert Road by Mrs Richard Higgs. It was dedicated on 18 January 1880 by Dean…

Read More

Drysdale, VIC - St James' Anglican

Drysdale, VIC - St James' Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 43 Collins Street, , Drysdale Victoria, 3222

The Foundation stone was laid by Bishop Perry. The actual foundations of the church were completed on 18 November 1871 and construction was completed the following year.

Read More

Dumbalk, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Dumbalk, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1937

Address: 6 Nerrena Road, , Dumbalk Victoria, 3956

The Church was established in 1937.

Read More

Dunkeld, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Dunkeld, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Sterling and Willis Street, , Dunkled Victoria, 3294

The church was built in two parts, one dating from 1881 and a 1961 extension. The former wing is built in light brown brick with stone dressings in the Early English Gothic revival style. The building is divided by buttresses into 3 bays each with lancet windows. The latter wing (dating from 1961) is built in cream brick and is positioned…

Read More

Dunolly, VIC - St John's Anglican

Dunolly, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1866 - 1869

Address: 56 Barkly Street, , Dunolly Victoria, 3472

The first Anglican Church was opened in 1858. The current Church is a freestone church designed by architects Vahland and Getzschmann and built between 1866-69. Prominent gables with heavy, buttressed pinnacles and the massive base of the unbuilt tower characterise the design. Other features are the numerous vents to the slate roofs, the…

Read More

Eaglehawk, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Eaglehawk, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: 63 High Street, , Eaglehawk Victoria, 3556

The Church replaced an earlier stone building opened in 1863. It was designed by vestryman H.E. Tolhurst and opened in 1874.

Read More

East Geelong, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

East Geelong, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1929

Address: Corner Thear & McKillop Street, , East Geelong Victoria, 3219

The establishment of St. Matthew's was largely made possible by the effort and generosity of the late G. F. Belcher residing at Murchison Hall, Garden Street, and who had recently retired from politics, having been Mayor of Geelong, 1873 - 1875 and a member of the State Parliament, 1875 - 1886. Mr Belcher donated the land and half the…

Read More

East Ivanhoe, VIC - St George's Anglican

East Ivanhoe, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1929

Address: Warncliffe Road, , East Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

East Ivanhoe Anglican convened a meeting on 12 December 1929 in the home of Mr A Judd in Warnclifffe Road to form a committee to arrange for church services and Sunday school classes to be held in the new area. Land owned by Mt Bainbridge in Warncliffe Road was available for a church site and an assurance was given that, if the Diocese…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - All Saints' Anglican (Former)

East Malvern, VIC - All Saints' Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Olive & Darling Road, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 February 1960 by the Most Reverend Frank Woods D.D. M.A. The Architect was Louis Williams.

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 5 Finch Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

Founded as a mission to Caulfield Racecourse in 1883 the original church was built in 1889. The current church was built between 1920 and 1922. The Architect was Purchase and Teague. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 December 1920 by the Venerable Archdeacon Hindley B.D. Administrator of the Diocese. An example of the English…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 193 Hotham Street, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

It is recorded the first church services were held in the school buildings on the corner of Victoria Parade and Hoddle Street. The Church was erected of bluestone and had been originally designated for a Cathedral, but Holy Trinity was erected on it with the intention that it was later to be converted to the Cathedral library or…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

East Melbourne, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: Corner Albert and Gisborne street, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

In September and October 1843 the Bishop of Australia, Dr William Grant Broughton visited Port Phillip and suggested there should be a second Anglican church in Melbourne. The foundation stone was laid on 18 June 1846 by the Superintendent of the settlement, Charles Joseph La Trobe. Dr Broughton had hoped to be present for the occasion…

Read More

Echuca, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Echuca, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Address: 500 High Street, , Echuca Victoria, 3564

The foundation stone was laid in 1864 and the first service held in 1865. The transepts were begun in 1866 and the nave added in 1875.1 The building is constructed of brick with a slate roof. A plaque under the Bell tower reads, " To the Glory of God Erected by Parishioners in memory of Harold Owen Lewis Choirmaster of Christ Church…

Read More

Edenhope, VIC - Church of all Soul's Anglican

Edenhope, VIC - Church of all Soul's Anglican

Address: Andrews Street, , Edenhope Victoria, 3318

The Architects were Wystan Widdows and David Longstaff Caldwell

Read More

Edithvale, VIC - St Columba's Anglican (Former)

Edithvale, VIC - St Columba's Anglican (Former)

Address: 10 Lockiel Avenue, , Edithvale Victoria, 3196

Read More

Eildon, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Eildon, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Address: Corner High & Centre Streets, , Eildon Victoria, 3713

Read More

Eldorado, VIC - St Jude's Anglican

Eldorado, VIC - St Jude's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: 71 MacKay Street, , Eldorado Victoria, 3746

Read More

Ellinbank, VIC - Anglican & Presbyterian

Ellinbank, VIC - Anglican & Presbyterian

Address: Korumburra Road, , Ellinbank Victoria, 3821

Read More

Elmore, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Elmore, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1877

Address: 44 Michie Street, , Elmore Victoria, 3558

The Church is of Gothic style. Consecreation of the church took place on December 31 1922 when the Lord Bishop of the Diocese the Right Reverend Dr Baker declared the new parish. The Church was erected in 1877 and was Consecrated on 31/12/22. The first Vicarage (later the Rectory) was built in 1893, at a cost of £400/-/-. The Parish…

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St Clement's Anglican

Elsternwick, VIC - St Clement's Anglican

Year Built: 1915

Address: Corner Glen Huntley & Brighton Roads, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3185

The first church was a wooden church and was erected in 1886 at the corner of McCombie Street. It was opened by the Very Reverend H.B. McCartney. It was later relocated to the current church site.* The Foundation stone of the present church was laid on 21 August 1915 by the Archbishop of Melbourne James Moorehouse.*

Read More

Eltham, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Eltham, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: Pitt Street, , Eltham Victoria, 3095

The land on which St Margaret's Church and Vicarage stands was donated by Henry Dendy, a well known Melbourne pioneer and wealthy land owner. Dendy later moved to England returning and residing in Eltham again. He chaired a meeting held in 1860 for the purpose of devising a means of establishing a Church of England in the township. The…

Read More

Emerald, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Emerald, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Address: 1 Church Street, , Emerald Victoria, 3782

Read More

Endeveaour Hills, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Endeveaour Hills, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Address: 101 Matthew Flinders Avenue, , Endeveaour Hills Victoria, 3802

Read More

Engadine, NSW - Anglican

Engadine, NSW - Anglican

Address: 4 Waratah Road, , Engadine Victoria, 2233

Read More

Epping, VIC - St John's Anglican

Epping, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 789 High Street, , Epping Victoria, 3076

The earliest recorded Anglican service in Epping was held in September 1863. The Anglican community, anxious to erect their own permanent church but unhappy with the low-lying site allocated to them near the Darebin Creek, applied to the Government for an alternative one, and the present two acre site in High Street was gazetted on 5 May…

Read More

Essendon, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Essendon, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: 1 Marco Polo Street, , Essendon Victoria, 3041

The first service was held in North Essendon on Advent Sunday, 1st December, 1889 in a rented cottage in King Street, North Essendon. The service was officiated by the Rev. G Gladstone, a total of 6 people attending. The Foundation stone was laid by Miss Mary Puckle on Saturday, August 23rd, 1890. The grand opening was celebrated…

Read More

Essendon, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Essendon, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1859

Address: 760 Mt Alexander Road, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

On 14 March 1857 a grant of 1.5 acres was made to St Thomas Church Moonee Ponds for the erection of a church and vicarage. In the same year a ceremony took place at the corner of Mt Alexander and Pascoe Vale Roads when the foundation stone was laid by the Govenor of Victoria Sir Henry Barkley. St Thomas's building committee minute book…

Read More

Euroa, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Euroa, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: Clifton Street, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

The first Church of England service in Euroa was held in early 1854 by Reverend William Singleton who was currently stationed at Kilmore. By 1857 services were held in the Church of England school room which today is the Rectory kitchen. Built by the Brewer Brother's it was completed in 1884 at a cost of 800 and this part of the church…

Read More

Fenton's Creek, VIC - Anglican

Fenton's Creek, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Wedderburn- Logan Road, , Fenton's Creek Victoria, 3518

A local saw miller Mr John Brown obtianed the timber form a location called the rocky water hole. Mr George Catto a local carpenter erected the building. The church was offically opened on March 18 1887 by the Bishop of Ballarat. The second church was opened on March 20 1965.

Read More

Fitzroy, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Fitzroy, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1853

Address: Corner George & Moore Streets, , Fitzroy Victoria, 3065

Built in 1853 of blue stone, the foundation stone was laid on 1 July 1853. Richard Grice, the generous pastoralist and philanthropist, contributed almost all the cost of its construction. The architect was James Blackburn. An L Terry supervised the erection of stairs and the completion of the gallery in 1865 while the spire and tower were…

Read More

Flinders, VIC - St John's the Evangelist Anglican

Flinders, VIC - St John's the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1891

Address: 23 King Street, , Flinders Victoria, 3929

After St Peter's Mornington opened, there were more frequent visits to Flinders, and 26 services were held in the School house in 1867 and by 1881 fortnightly services were being conducted in the Mechanics Hall or in private homes by the Vicar of St Peter's, The Rev T Quinton (1875-1888) or one of the Lay Readers, and a Flinders Sabbath…

Read More

Footscray, VIC - St John's Anglican

Footscray, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1891

Address: 77A Paisley Street, , Footscray Victoria, 3011

The church, is in the Gothic style and built in red and white brick with stone dressings, was opened in November 1891. The architect was Mr C.J. Polain and the builders were Messrs Jason Fraser and Son. A Foundation stone on the Church reads, " This memorial stone was laid by James Cuming Esq Mayor of the City on Tuesday May the 26th…

Read More

Footscray, VIC All Saints' Anglican

Footscray, VIC All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: May Street, , Footscray Victoria, 3011

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Greater Glory of God this stone was set by The Venerable R.W. Dann B.A. THL 21st June 1964 - Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief corner stone Alan Gordon Laity Parish Priest Architects Wystan Widdows & David Caldwell - Builders Johns & Reid".

Read More

Forest Hill, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Forest Hill, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 303 Canterbury Road, , Forest Hill Victoria, 3131

In 1955 a request for services to be held at Forest Hill were instigated and the Sunday School began on 6th November. On the 11th of March 1956 the first church service was held and named St Mark the Evangelist. By September 1957 a building plan was approved by the Diocese. In 1961 the Rev. Stephen Cherry, assistant curate in St…

Read More

Forrest, VIC - St James-Anglican

Forrest, VIC - St James-Anglican

Address: Grant Street, , Forrest Victoria, 3236

Read More

Foster, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Foster, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1962

Address: 34 Station Road, , Foster Victoria, 3960

The first church in Foster was licenced on 24 October 1890. The church and vicarage were destroyed by the disastrous bushfires of 1898. The Parish Hall was built in 1928. The current brick church was built in 1962.

Read More

Frankston, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Frankston, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 62 McMahons Road, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

Read More