Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Roman Catholic


Eltham, VIC - Our Lady Help of Christian Catholic

Eltham, VIC - Our Lady Help of Christian Catholic

Address: 4 Henry Street, , Eltham Victoria, 3095

The Architects were Gerard Smith, Diana Iezzi, Smith & Tracey Architects and the Builders were Clark Frigo, Conrad Constructions and Management. The stained glass windows on the west wall depict the Passion, Death, Resurrection and the presence of the Spirit of Christ in the parish of Our Lady Help of Christians since its inception.…

Read More

Emerald, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Emerald, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 13 Emerald Monbulk Road, , Emerald Victoria, 3782

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Endeavour Hills, VIC - St Paul Apostle Catholic

Endeavour Hills, VIC - St Paul Apostle Catholic

Year Built: 1983

Address: 5 William Hovell Drive, , Endeavour Hills Victoria, 3802

A wall plaque reads, "St Paul Apostle Catholic Church is an expression of the faith, and generosity of our Parish family, We acknowledge with gratitude the material assitance this Parish has received from the Archdiocese. It was blessed and opened on 14th August 1983 by Archbishop Frank Little. Twenty Five years later major refurbishment…

Read More

Epping, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Epping, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1865

Address: 13 Davisson Street, , Epping Victoria, 3076

Mass had first been celebrated in the district, then known as Darebin Creek, as early as 1849. It had been held in the home of Alexander McKillop, whose daughter, Mother Mary McKillop, founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart. In about 1852 a Catholic Denominational School, No. 238, was established. A new wooden building was…

Read More

Essendon, VIC - St Monica's Catholic

Essendon, VIC - St Monica's Catholic

Year Built: 1934

Address: Mount Alexander Road, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

The Parish has its Official beginning at Keilor in 1854 when Father Matthew Downing OSA as the first Priest in Charge of the Keilor Mission. The present St Monica's Church was built on the site of a stone church, begun in 1884, completed in 1910 and demolished in 1934 to make way for the larger building. The style of the building…

Read More

Essendon, VIC - St Therese's Catholic

Essendon, VIC - St Therese's Catholic

Year Built: 1934

Address: 48A Lincoln Road, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

A Foundation stone is set in Latin and reads, " A.M.D.G. Hung lapidem benedixit et posuit Daniel Archiepiscopus Melbourne Die 22AD Aprilis 1934 - Petrus O'Brien Rector.

Read More

Euroa, VIC - St John's Catholic

Euroa, VIC - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner Brock & Kirkland Avenue West, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

Bishop Gould recorded in his diary that he blessed and opened on 8 May 1866 a small church in Euroa named in honour of St Michael the Archangel. This was the first church building in Euroa. On 6 March 1887 the new church was blessed and opened by Bishop Reville Coadjutor. In 1915 the interior of St Johns Church was completely…

Read More

Fairfield, VIC - St Anthony's Catholic

Fairfield, VIC - St Anthony's Catholic

Address: 3 Fairfield Road, , Fairfield Victoria, 3078

Read More

Fawkner, VIC - St Mark's Catholic

Fawkner, VIC - St Mark's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: 9 Lee Street, , Fawkner Victoria,

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was blessed by Archbishop James R. Knox 29.4.1971 - Rev J Noonan P.P.".

Read More

Ferntree Gully, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Ferntree Gully, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: 19 Forest Raod, , Ferntree Gully Victoria, 3156

The first Catholic church in the Gully was completed in 1890. The simple wooden building was erected on the south side of Main Road (now Burwood Highway, where Woolworth’s service station now stands). The land was donated by John Buckley and the building was erected by Thomas Jones at a cost of 200 pounds. In 1911 saw the establishment…

Read More

Fish Creek, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

Fish Creek, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1904

Address: 18 Foster Road, , Fish Creek Victoria, 3959

The Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception at Fish Creek was opened and blessed by Bishop Corbett of Sale and the Very Rev. M Maher CM, Provincial of the Vincentians, on 11 December, 1904. The architect was TA Payne and it was constructed for £550 in 1904 by EP (Ted) Harden of Leongatha, who was a builder and undertaker. The…

Read More

Footscray, VIC - St Monica's Catholic

Footscray, VIC - St Monica's Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: 2 Wingfield Sreet, , Footscay Victoria, 3011

The Rev. Dr. McGillicuddy decided a suitable church should be built. So, on 5th July, 1873 was laid the foundation of the present Church performed by Dr. Goold. Mass was celebrated in a tent near by. The church is Fourteenth Century Gothic with a nave 63 ft. by 28 ft. Chancel 18 ft. square with a proposed 108ft spire (never built). Church…

Read More

Foster, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Foster, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1983

Address: 19 O'Connell Road, , Foster Victoria, 3960

The first Church was erected in 1889 of weatherboard and was 50 feet by 25 feet. The builder was Mr Davis and the Architect was Mr C Scanlan. The Church was blessed and consecrated by the Rt Reverend P. O'Donahue on 23rd June 1889. A plaque on the wall of the current Church reads, " This Church of St Joseph was consecrated and Parish…

Read More

Frankston, VIC - Saint Francis Xavier Catholic

Frankston, VIC - Saint Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 60 Davey Street, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

The first Catholic church to open in Frankston on 15 December 1889 after land was purchased for 60.00 the year before. The opening Ceremony was conducted by his Grace Archbishop Carr.* The church was of brick construction with freestone dressings and measured 45 feet x 25 feet. The architects were Tappin, Gilbert and Denchy.*

Read More

Frankston, VIC - St John's Catholic

Frankston, VIC - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1981

Address: 20 Coral Street, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

A Foundation stone reads, " St Johns Church erected to the Honour and Glory of God by the generosity of the parishioners solemney dedicated on the 6th June 1981 by His Grace Archbishop T.F. Little D.D. W Walsh Pastor".

Read More

Gardenvale, VIC - St James Catholic

Gardenvale, VIC - St James Catholic

Year Built: 1891

Address: 73 North Road, , Gardenvale Victoria, 3185

The first Church was a wooden building constructed by the Very Reverend M Carey on the site facing North Road in 1882. It was a temporary building, used as a Church on Sundays and a schoolhouse on weekdays. Extensions were made in 1889. It was blessed by Dr Reville, the Co-adjutor Bishop of Sandhurst, in 1892. Construction of the…

Read More

Geelong East, VIC - St Margaret's Catholic

Geelong East, VIC - St Margaret's Catholic

Year Built: 1964

Address: 46 Lomond Terrace, , Geelong East Victoria, 3219

A Foundation stone reads, A.M.D.G. St Margaret's Church Solemnly blessed His Grace The Most Reverend Justin D. Simonds DD PHD Archbishop of Melbourne 28th November 1963 Rev Father R. Rafter".

Read More

Geelong, VIC - St Mary's of the Angels Catholic

Geelong, VIC - St Mary's of the Angels Catholic

Year Built: 1842

Address: 136 Yarra Street, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

On 27 November 1842, when a small wooden chapel was erected on Geelong's Yarra Street, thanks to donations from the congregation. This modest hut was one of Geelong's first churches. In 1846 the foundations for a stone church were laid on the present site. The foundation stone was laid by Fr. P.B. Geoghegan and the church was completed…

Read More

Gembrook, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Gembrook, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: Main Street, , Gembrook Victoria, 3783

Read More

Gisborne, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Gisborne, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1855

Address: Aitken Street, , Gisborne Victoria, 3437

In 1855 Father Madden was appointed parish priest of the Blackwood Parish. This consisted of Gisborne, Bacchus Marsh and Ballan.* In 1852 the Vicar General applied for a grant of 2 acres on the corner of Aitken and Fishers Strets to be reserved for a church and school. Michael Brady, a local timer merchant assisted in raising the funds…

Read More

Glen Alvie, VIC - Catholic

Glen Alvie, VIC - Catholic

Year Built: 1905

Address: Willmott Road, , Glen Alvie Victoria, 3979

The Church was situated on the highest part of what is now called Willmott's road. The location in the early days was known as Dowel's corner. It was built on an acre or so of ground given by Mr. J. Mates. This building was officially opened on Sunday, August 27, 1905. The architect and and building contractor was Mr. W. O'Neill of…

Read More

Glen Waverley, VIC - St Leonard's Catholic

Glen Waverley, VIC - St Leonard's Catholic

Address: 349 Springvale Road, , Glen Waverley Victoria, 3150

From its start in 1912 as a simple weatherboard church next to the Mechanics Institute, it has progressed from its original Springvale Road site south of Waverley Road to its present home, has occupied no fewer than three church buildings. At the opening of the little church in 1912, Archbishop Carr praised the Catholics of Glen…

Read More

Gordon, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Gordon, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: Corner Old Melbourne & Carey Road, , Gordon Victoria, 3345

St. Patrick's Parish, was established in 1875 and incorporates a church and school in each of Ballan, Gordon and Springbank. The land and a sum of one hundred and £90 for the stonework, nave, porch and tower was donated by Ryan brothers of Millbrook. The Architect was Henry R Caselli of Ballarat, the builders, Jenkin and Lewis. The…

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Greensborough, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: Grimshaw Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The land on which the church resides was originally owned by Mrs Edith Santon. She did not want it sold and subdivided. The first services were held in the Santon homestead in 1952. The house was later to be used as the Presbytery until about 1970. By 1954 work commenced on five school buildings and completed and opened in 1955 by…

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Greensborough, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Year Built: 1986

Address: Diamond Creek Road, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

This church broke away from St Mary's Catholic in Greensborough in 1986.

Read More

Hamilton, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Hamilton, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 23 Dinwoodie Street, , Hamilton Victoria, 3300

In the early days Hamilton was part of the Portland Parish and hence Ministers came from there. The first Mass was held on 22 May 1848 by Father Kavanagh. The first part of the Church to be opened was conducted on 12 August 1866. The work commenced by Father Kavanagh was completed by the laying of a memorial stone on 30 May 1900 by…

Read More

Hampton, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour & St Andrews Catholic

Hampton, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour & St Andrews Catholic

Address: 40 Ludstone Street, , Hampton Victoria, 3188

Read More

Hampton, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Hampton, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1925

Address: 59 Holyrood Street, , Hampton Victoria, 3188

In 1924 the Sandringham parish priest, Father Mangan, bought land for this purpose at a cost of £2,000. The land Father Mangan had to purchase was part of the Margarita Estate, approximately 20 acres of land stretching from South Road to Holyrood Street. Dr Henry Backhaus, a priest who had moved to the area from Bendigo upon his…

Read More

Hampton. VIC - Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic

Hampton. VIC - Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic

Address: 441 Bluff Road, , Hampton Victoria, 3188

Read More

Harrietville, VIC - St Francis of Assisi Catholic

Harrietville, VIC - St Francis of Assisi Catholic

Address: 215 Great Alpine Road, , Harrietville Victoria, 3741

Originally located in Buckland it was moved to its present site in 1922.

Read More

Hastings, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

Hastings, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

Address: 71 Marine Parade, , Hastings Victoria, 3915

Read More

Hawthorn, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

Hawthorn, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1869

Address: 345 Burwood Road, , Hawthorn Victoria,

The first section was built in 1867-69 and the chancel choir and tower were built in 1891, followed by further additions in 1913, 1921, and 1961. The spatially complex interior includes three Eastern apses of equal height and incorporates stained glass by Ferguson, Urie & Lyon; Mayer, Montgomery and Brooks Robinson. Constructed in…

Read More

Healesville, VIC - St Bridget's Catholic

Healesville, VIC - St Bridget's Catholic

Year Built: 1899

Address: Corner High & Ryrie Streets, , Healesville Victoria, 3777

November 1899 saw the first new parish mission established in Healesville by Reverend Patrick Gleeson who had arrived in Melbourne from Ireland on September 9. He had already served at West Melbourne, Mansfield, Castlemaine and St Kilda East before arriving in Healesville. At the turn of the 20th century St Bridget's Hall on the…

Read More

Heathcote, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Heathcote, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1917

Address: Corner Ebden & Pohlman Street, , Heathcote Victoria, 3523

The first priest to administer to the catholics in the Heathcote area was the Rev. Fr. Charles Clarke, who had arrived in Kilmore on April 20 1849. It was at this time that the Bishop of Melbourne, James Alipius Goold, created Kilmore a separate mission from Melbourne. His Parish extended all the way to Gisborne, Woodend, Kyneton,…

Read More

Heidelberg, VIC - St John's Catholic

Heidelberg, VIC - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1909

Address: Corner Cape & Yarra Streets, , Heidelberg Victoria, 3084

The Church was designed by William W Wardell and commenced in 1860 under the supervision of J B Denny. It was completed in 1909 largely to Wardell's design, under Kempson and Conolly. The Foundation stone was laid on 5 September 1909 by the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Highett, VIC - St Agnes Catholic

Highett, VIC - St Agnes Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: 10 Spring Road, , Highett Victoria, 3190

A Plaque on the church wall reads, "This Church dedicated to S. Agnes V.M. was blessed and opened on Wednesday 10 September 1969 by Archbishop J Knox D.D. Parish Priest Fr G. Quilter. The Church was built as a Peace Memorial for those who died Defending their country R.I.P. This stone commemorates the 50th Anniversary of the Parish 13…

Read More

Highton, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic

Highton, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic

Address: 74 Fryers Road, , Highton Victoria, 3216

Read More

Horsham, VIC - St Michael and St John's Catholic

Horsham, VIC - St Michael and St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1987

Address: Corner Roberts & Urquhart Streets, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

The first Mass to be held in Horsham was in 1857 by visiting Priest Fr. Patrick Madden. The first church was opened by Bishop O'Connor on 12 November 1876, a wooden building facing west to McPherson Street.* The first Catholic church seems to have been built in record time following its establishment as a parish when separated from…

Read More

Hurstbridge, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Hurstbridge, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Address: Heidelberg Kinglake Road, , Hurstbridge Victoria, 3099

Read More

Inglewood, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Inglewood, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1905

Address: 85 Southey Street, , Inglewood Victoria, 3517

A Historical plaque reads, "The Very Reverend Dean Hayes of Sandhurst opened the first church on his site, a timber structure serving as a church and a school on November 8th 1866.The present red brick church was built in 1905 and the opening ceremony and blessing held on December 17th 1905 by the most Reverend Dr. Reville, Bishop of…

Read More