Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Tasmania


Stanley, TAS - Circular Head Anglican

Stanley, TAS - Circular Head Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: 37 Church Street, , Stanley Tasmania, 7331

The original St Paul's Anglican of 1842 was designed by colonial architect John Lee Archer and consecrated by Bishop Nixon in 1858, the first Bishop of Tasmania. Later the stone church had to be demolished due to cracks appearing in the walls, salt water was likely used in the mortar. In 1887 it was replaced by the present timber…

Read More

Stanley, TAS - St James Presbyterian

Stanley, TAS - St James Presbyterian

Year Built: 1855

Address: 3 Fletcher Street, , Stanley Tasmania, 7331

The Church sits on land granted by the Van Diemen's Land Company. The building was bought in London in 1855 the first pre fabricated church to be brought to Tasmania and transported to Stanley at a total cost of £400. On anniversary days the church would overflow while the hall next door was frequently booked for wedding breakfasts and…

Read More

Stanley, TAS - Star of the Sea Catholic

Stanley, TAS - Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1932

Address: 8 Marshall Street, , Stanley Tasmania, 7331

Father Peter Adlum, whose pastorate at Stanley spanned the years 1929 to 1932, built the third church at Stanley. Archbishop Hayden blessed the foundation stone on November 9, 1930. The new Star of the Sea Church was consecrated by Father Denis Murphy, administrator of the Diocese, on March 15, 1931. He had "never seen a country church so…

Read More

Swansea, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Swansea, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 10 Noyes Street, , Swansea Tasmania, 7190

In 1845 a stone building at Waterloo Point which had been used as a school was for a church and was used for Divine Service until July 1868 when the building was considered to be unsafe and was abandoned. In the Gothic Revival style the church was built in 1871. The Foundation Stone was laid by Mr. John Meredith of Cambria, when…

Read More

Swansea, TAS - Our Lady of Perpetural Succour Catholic

Swansea, TAS - Our Lady of Perpetural Succour Catholic

Year Built: 1931

Address: 21 Victoria Street, , Swansea Tasmania, 710

Bishop Willson applied for a Government grant of four acres for a Catholic Church in December 1855 but he had to do with two acres. His letters were ignored however in 1864 nine years later he again applied and referred to his previous letters of July 13 and August 17 1855 and December 19 1860. This time the Governor General approved…

Read More

Taroona, TAS - Baptist

Taroona, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1953

Address: 124 Channel Highway, , Taroona Tasmania, 7053

The story of the Taroona Baptist Church has its origins in the Sandy Bay Baptist Church, which was founded in 1928 on a site purchased from the Church of England seven years earlier. In 1929 Les and Florie Escott were the earliest recorded baptisms at. Sandy Bay. Four years later they moved to Taroona and in 1936 1-45 Escott began the…

Read More

Taroona, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Taroona, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1956

Address: 173 Channel Highway, , Taroona Tasmania, 7053

Early services were held in the local Community hall from 1902 and later in the Presbyterian church. The church is made of a concrete block and cost £5,000 and was built in 1956. Additions were made in 1969.

Read More

Taroona, TAS - Uniting

Taroona, TAS - Uniting

Address: Taroona Crescent, , Taroona Tasmania, 7053

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Tarrana, TAS - Presbyterian (Former)

Tarrana, TAS - Presbyterian (Former)

Address: 11 South Street, , Tarrana Tasmania, 7180

The Church was built in the early 1880's using funds donated by James MacLanachan. The church was first located in Tunbridge and transported to Tarrana in 1972. The land was donated by Mrs Ioleath Tatnell. The Church was last used in 2004 due to poor attendances. Purchased in 2009 by Laurie Tattnell as a Heritage Museum.

Read More

Tea Tree, TAS - St Thomas' Anglican

Tea Tree, TAS - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Tea Tree & Middle Tea Tree Roads, , Tea Tree Tasmania, 7017

In January 1880 the Church of England Diocesan Synod announced preliminary steps to establish a small church at Tea Tree. Rapid progress was made and tenders were called for in August of the same year. In December the foundation stone was laid in a ceremony reported by the Hobart Mercury. The church was officially opened on 2 May 1881…

Read More

Trevallyn, TAS - St Oswald's Anglican

Trevallyn, TAS - St Oswald's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: 36 Bain Terrace, , Trevallyn Tasmania, 7250

The Church was designed by noted ecclesiastical Architect Alexander North and built by Messrs J and T Gunn whose estimate for the building was £257. The foundation-stone was laid on December 5, 1893, by Bishop Henry Montgomery, The new church was completed in time for the official opening and dedication on 10th April 1894. Bishop…

Read More

Triabunna, TAS - St Anne's Catholic

Triabunna, TAS - St Anne's Catholic

Year Built: 1869

Address: 39 Henry Street, , Triabunna Tasmania, 7190

In the mid 1840's, a number of Catholics were settled in the Triabunna area, including Patrick Bowan & Margaret (nee Lowly), William Hannen. Bishop Willson struggled to gain land for a church site at Triabunna but it was October 1857 before he achieved some success when one acre was reserved by the Crown for a church site. Apparently…

Read More

Triabunna, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Triabunna, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 1 Franklyn Street, , Triabunna Tasmania, 7190

The Church of England congregation held early church services at Rostrevor and the old Council Chambers until the energetic Revd Power inspired churchgoers to raise funds and plan a new church. Finished and dedicated in 1883, it was built of cut stone from Okehampton Quarry at a cost of £750. The stone alter, thought to be one of three in…

Read More

Tunbridge, TAS - St Oswald's Anglican (Former)

Tunbridge, TAS - St Oswald's Anglican (Former)

Address: 90 Main Road, , Tunbridge Tasmania, 7120

Now in private hands.

Read More

Tunnack, TAS - St Andrews Uniting (Former)

Tunnack, TAS - St Andrews Uniting (Former)

Address: 10 Fairhaven Road, , Tannack Tasmania, 7120

A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was laid to the Glory of God by the Moderator Presbyterian Church of Tasmania Rev A.M. McMaster B.A. B.D. 28th February 1953".

Read More

Tunnack, TAS - St Brigid's Catholic

Tunnack, TAS - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1894

Address: 22 Scotts Road, , Tunnack Tasmania, 7120

Read More

Ulverstone, TAS - Baptist

Ulverstone, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1959

Address: 60 Alexander Road, , Ulverstone Tasmania, 7315

The Ulverstone mission was placed under the care of the Burnie Baptist Church. Church services began in Ulverstone at the Town Hall on 15 February 1903. The Rev. George J. Mackay of the Devonport Baptist Church, assisted by Amos Sidwell of Hobart, conducted the first service. A Foundation stone reads, " To the glory of God this stone…

Read More

Ulverstone, TAS - Church of Christ

Ulverstone, TAS - Church of Christ

Address: 26 Leven Street, , Ulverstone Tasmania, 7315

Read More

Ulverstone, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Ulverstone, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 6 Kings Parade, , Ulverstone Tasmania, 7315

The first Anglican church in Ulverstone was opened in 1868, “on the site of the cemetery” in Leven St and remained on this site until 1893. The first service was held in Fogg's store, then in a wooden church in the cemetery, built in 1868. In 1890 plans were made for a new church on the corner of Patrick and Badger Streets, but the…

Read More

Ulverstone, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

Ulverstone, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: 4 Alexandra Road, , Ulverstone Tasmania, 7315

In 1961, seventy-five years after the opening of Ulverstone’s first Catholic church a modern church was built on a site opposite the old building. A Foundation stone reads, " This church erected by the Catholic people of Ulverstone in honour of the sacred heart of Jesus was solomly blessed and opened by his grace the Archbishop of Hobart…

Read More

Ulverstone, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Ulverstone, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 59 Main Street, , Ulverstone Tasmania, 7315

At a ceremony in May, 1910, the dual foundation stones of the church at Ulverstone were laid by Colonel Cameron and Hon. E. Hobbs, then warden of the town. It was completed and opened on 20th November, 1910. Later the Presbyterian Church at Sheffield was brought to Ulverstone and re-erected as the Sunday School, alongside the church.…

Read More

Ulverstone, TAS - Uniting

Ulverstone, TAS - Uniting

Address: 72 Riebey Street, , Ulverstone Tasmania, 7315

The first church opened in December 1893 replacing an earlier church built in 1880. This church was destroyed by a ‘cyclone’ which struck Ulverstone in May 1893. A Foundation stone reads, "Dedicated to the service of Youth by Rev Arthur J. Blanksby M.A. B.D. Aug 16th 1952".

Read More

Wesley Vale, TAS - Uniting Community

Wesley Vale, TAS - Uniting Community

Address: 604 Port Sorell Road, , Wesley Vale Tasmania, 7307

The present church was first opened in 1888, replacing an earlier Wesleyan Methodist church built in 1865. The cost for that building was £290. The timber of the original bush chapel was rather poor class as it was replaced in 1870. Mr William Gadsby was the builder of this second church at a cost of £153. The earliest recorded burial is…

Read More

Westbury, TAS - Baptist

Westbury, TAS - Baptist

Address: 53 Franklin Street, , Westbury Tasmania, 7303

Read More

Westbury, TAS - St Andrews Anglican

Westbury, TAS - St Andrews Anglican

Address: 11 Lonsdale Promenade, , Westbury Tasmania, 7303

St. Andrew's was (Hagley/Westbury parish), was part of the parish of Norfolk Plains in early days), The first services were held in the watch house, holding twenty to fifty people. The foundation stone of the church was laid in 8136 and the church opened in 1842. It was consecrated in March 1851. The chancel and tower were added in…

Read More

Westbury, TAS Holy Trinity Catholic

Westbury, TAS Holy Trinity Catholic

Year Built: 1874

Address: 94 Meander Valley Road, , Westbury Tasmania, 7303

Father James Hogan was the first resident priest of the church. He was instrumental in the building of the Holy Trinity Church, aiding the escape of Irish rebel John Mitchel (1853) and establishing Tasmania's first Convent of the Sisters of St Joseph at Westbury in 1887. The Church was designed by Henry Hunter, Tasmania's most prolific…

Read More

Westbury, TAS Uniting

Westbury, TAS Uniting

Address: 63 William Street, , Westbury Tasmania, 7303

The first Wesleyan church at Westbury was built in 1840. One acre of ground was granted by the Surveyor - General under a location order to Rev's J Orton, J.A. Manton and W Simpson at Westbury on 15 November 1837. On this land in the year 1840 a chapel had been built costing £125.00 Although by 1851 the building proved to be too small…

Read More

Windermere, TAS - St Mathias's Anglican

Windermere, TAS - St Mathias's Anglican

Address: 431 Windermere Road, , Windermere Tasmania, 7252

The Booklet reads in part, The Church owes its foundation to Dr. Matthuis Gaunt, who arrived in Tasmania (then known as Van Diemen's Land) by the ship 'Eliza,' from London on May 2nd, 1831. The Church was completed in 1843. The local newspaper reports that one boat from Launceston laden with bricks for the church was sunk in deep…

Read More

Woodbridge, TAS - St Simon and St Jude Anglican

Woodbridge, TAS - St Simon and St Jude Anglican

Address: Corner Channel Highway & Granquist Road, , Woodbridge Tasmania, 7162

Read More

Woodbridge, TAS - Uniting

Woodbridge, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1859

Address: Channel Highway, , Woodbridge Tasmania, 7162

A Methodist chapel was first built in 1859 on land donated by Mr Joseph Davies. All denominations used the church until the Church of England decided to build their own. That was to be St Simonds and St Jude. The Wesleyans continued to use the chapel until 1897 when it was burnt in a bushfire. After the fire a Mr George Miles gave the…

Read More

Woodsdale, TAS - St Matthias Anglican

Woodsdale, TAS - St Matthias Anglican

Address: 2265 Buckland Road, , Woodsdale Tasmania, 7120

Read More

Wynyard, TAS - Baptist

Wynyard, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1972

Address: 31 Hogg Street, , Wynyard Tasmania, 7325

A Foundation stone reads, "To the glory of God this stone was unveiled by the Rev John Robinson the President of Baptist Union of Tasmania 23-9-1972. Minister Rev D.L. Johnson".

Read More

Wynyard, TAS - Community

Wynyard, TAS - Community

Address: 35 Hogg Street, , Wynyard Tasmania, 7325

Read More

Wynyard, TAS - St Brigid's Catholic

Wynyard, TAS - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 37 Goldie Street, , Wynyard Tasmania, 7325

The church is in the Romanesque style and it replaced an older church which was built in 1876. A Foundation stone reads, "This first stone of this Church erected to the honour and glory of God was laid by his grace Most Rev Dr Delany Archbishop of Hobart, May 28th 1911 Ded Graius".

Read More

Wynyard, TAS - St Stephen's Anglican

Wynyard, TAS - St Stephen's Anglican

Year Built: 1919

Address: 4 Dogin Street, , Wynyard Tasmania, 7325

The first church was built in the mid 1850s and was replaced by a larger building in 1873. The third church, was opened in 1920. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was laid by the Ven Archdeacon R.H. Richard B.A. on 1st of July 1919". For a full history go to Churches of Tasmania. Click here.

Read More

Youngtown, TAS - St James Anglican

Youngtown, TAS - St James Anglican

Address: 418 Hobart Road, , Youngtown Tasmania, 7249

The booklet reads in part, On Monday, the 13th October 1844, the Bishop laid the first stone of one of these ten new oratories' at Franklin Village. An account of this is given in the "Launceston Examiner" of the 23rd October, 1844. "Franklin Village. On Monday, at three o'clock, the Bishop, attended by the Rural Dean (the Rev. R.…

Read More