Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

State: Victoria


Colac, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Colac, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1980

Address: Corner Calvert & Gellibrand Streets, , Colac Victoria, 3250

On February 7 1850 Reverend Nicholas Coffey applied for two acres of land in Colac for the purposes of a Church, Scholl and a clergy residence. By March of the same year approval had been given by the Colonial Secretaries office in Sydney. The population in the Colac region in 1851 was 1,199 residents. 1980. Architect was Brian Dowling.*

Read More

Colac, VIC - Uniting

Colac, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1877

Address: Corner Hesse & Manifold Streets, , Colac Victoria, 3250

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. In 1852 the very firstr chapel Gows Chapel was destroyed by fire. The new church opened on 5 November 1854 on the south east corner of the present site and cost 1,750.00 to erect. By 1876 a new church was needed and a tender of 3,284.00 was accepted from Mr Bullings. The Foundation stone was laid on 19…

Read More

Colbinabbin, VIC - Uniting

Colbinabbin, VIC - Uniting

Address: Mitchell Street, , Colbinabbin Victoria, 2877

Read More

Cornella, VIC - St George's Anglican

Cornella, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: 23 Smythe Street, , Cornella Victoria, 3984

Read More

Cowes, VIC - St Philip's Anglican

Cowes, VIC - St Philip's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: 102 Thompson Avenue, , Cowes Victoria, 3922

The site of this Church was reserved for church purposes on the 12th April 1869 and was described in official language as being "crown allot 18 and part of 17 of Section 7" and fronting the main street of Cowes. The style of the building was not in the traditional Gothic style of the times but had a flat ceiling and round headed…

Read More

Cranbourne, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Cranbourne, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1951

Address: Corner Sladen & Russell Streets, , Cranbourne Victoria, 3977

The Church was built in 1951.

Read More

Cranbourne, VIC - St John's Anglican

Cranbourne, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: Corner Childers & Russell streets, , Cranbourne Victoria, 3977

Read More

Cranbourne, VIC - Uniting

Cranbourne, VIC - Uniting

Address: 41 Lesdon Avenue, , Cranbourne Victoria, 3977

Read More

Cressy, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Cressy, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1913

Address: Cressy Road, , Cressy Victoria, 3322

The foundation stone was laid in 1911 by Mrs John Nelson of Kilernie and the building opened in 1913, together with a new manse that has since been destroyed. The boarded decoration in the gable of the faade and porch has since been removed. The interior includes several stained glass windows and its original pulpit and pews.

Read More

Cressy, VIC - St Joseph's Memorial Catholic

Cressy, VIC - St Joseph's Memorial Catholic

Address: Cressy Road, , Cressy Victoria, 3322

Read More

Crib Point, VIC - Uniting

Crib Point, VIC - Uniting

Address: 382 Stony Point Road, , Crib Point Victoria, 3919

Read More

Croxton, VIC - Uniting

Croxton, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Address: 326 St Georges Road, , Thornbury Victoria, 3071

There are two foundation stones. One reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Rev H. Stiles Heath B.A. President Methodist Conference July 27th 1929. E.C. Perkins Pastor. C.A. Hiscox Designer, Rev F.J. Jennnings Supt Minister, W Carwright Builder". The second foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was…

Read More

Deans Marsh, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Deans Marsh, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Address: Deans Marsh Road, , Deans Marsh Victoria, 3235

By 1883 the construction of a church on land donated by Robert Bell was underway. The builders were Thomas Hunt and John Anderson and the church was opened on 27 January 1884 and dedicated to St Paul by the Reverend W.E. Mantell. For the first twenty one years Readers in Charge conducted regular services under the Archdeacon of…

Read More

Deepdene, VIC - Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic

Deepdene, VIC - Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 10 Whitehorse Road, , Deepdene Victoria, 3103

The first building, on the Whitehorse Rd site, which is now part of the school, was used by the parish as both a church and school. The foundation stone of the first church was blessed by Archbishop Mannix on 26 November 1922. The construction of the current church began in the 1950s, when Fr Godwin was the parish priest. It was…

Read More

Derrinallum, VIC - All Saint's Anglican

Derrinallum, VIC - All Saint's Anglican

Address: Main Street, , Derrinallum Victoria, 3325

Read More

Derrinallum, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Derrinallum, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1922

Address: Main Street, , Derrinallum Victoria, 3325

The Foundation stone was laid on 17 December 1922 by most Reverend Dr Foley Bishop of Ballarat.

Read More

Derrinallum, VIC - Uniting

Derrinallum, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1914

Address: Main Street, , Derrinallum Victoria, 3325

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 February 1914 by Mrs H Allan Currie.

Read More

Diamond Creek, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Diamond Creek, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: Gipson Street, , Diamond Creek Victoria, 3089

Read More

Diamond Creek, VIC - St John's Anglican

Diamond Creek, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: Corner Hyde & Main Street, , Diamond Creek Victoria, 3089

The first recorded Church of England services were conducted by the Rev. Francis Hales. In 1860 Diamond Creek came under the jurisdiction of the Eltham parish - with the Rev R Mackie, and then the Rev Josiah Hollis as vicars. The building was designed by Charles Maplestone of Heidelberg, son-in-law to Anthony Beale of St Helena.…

Read More

Diamond Creek, VIC - Uniting

Diamond Creek, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1984

Address: 32 Wensley Street, , Diamond Creek Victoria, 3089

The Diamond Valley Parish traces its origins to the Heidelberg Primitive Methodist Mission, which dates from 1854. The Primitive Methodist Church was a nineteenth century evangelical revival grounded in the teachings of John Wesley. A branch of Methodism, Primitive Methodism originated amongst the poorest farmer labourers and miners of…

Read More

Dimboola, VIC - Lutheran

Dimboola, VIC - Lutheran

Address: Corner Ellerman Street & Horsham Road, , Dimboola Victoria, 3414

The first Lutheran's moved into the area in 1871.

Read More

Dimboola, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Dimboola, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Address: 21 Normanby Street, , Dimboola Victoria, 3414

Read More

Dimboola, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Dimboola, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: Church Street, , Dimboola Victoria, 3414

In 1858 Bishop Perry first visited this area. The first church was a log cabin built approximately in 1861 but conjecture surrounds where it came from and who supplied it (Presbyterians or a local land holder). The first Minister to reside in Dimboola was Rev George Geer in 1881. Tenders for a new brick church were called in November of…

Read More

Dingley, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Dingley, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Address: 387 Old Dandenong Road, , Dingley Victoria, 3172

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by The Revd J.H. Gregory 12th February 1873". A Plaque near the church entrance reads, The Church was built by the generosity and vision of Mary Attenborough. Mary and her brother Thomas migrated to Australia from Dingley, Northamptonshire, England in 1853 Mary was a lady of strong and…

Read More

Dingley, VIC - St Mark's Catholic

Dingley, VIC - St Mark's Catholic

Year Built: 1999

Address: 10 Dimar Court, , Dingley Victoria, 3172

A Foundation stone reads, " This Church of St Mark's was blessed ans consecrated to the greater honour and glory of God and the salvation of man on April 25tn 1999 by his Lordship Bishop Denis J. Hart D.D. with the dedication of the parishioners of St Mark's. Fr Anthony P Fox O.F.M. Conv Parish Priest. Fr Joseph Nguyen O.F.M. Conv…

Read More

Donald, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Donald, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1872

Address: Corner Woods & Blair Streets, , Donald Victoria, 3480

The first St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was built in 1872. The current church was opened in 1925. It seats 300.

Read More

Donald, VIC - St George's Anglican

Donald, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: 8 Blair Street, , Donald Victoria, 3480

Read More

Donald, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Donald, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: Corner Wood & Campbell Streets, , Donald Victoria, 3480

Read More

Donald, VIC Methodist (Former)

Donald, VIC Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1914

Address: 20 McCulloch Street, , Donald Victoria, 3480

The first services were held in the home of Mr Thomas Bath at Swanwater West prior to 1873 and were services conducted by Ministers from St Arnaud. There were local Methodist churches in Swanwater, Jeffcott and Avon. A Church for Donald was also under consideration but an effort to raise subscriptions in November 1876 was not…

Read More

Doncaster East, VIC - Baptist

Doncaster East, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 2017

Address: 103 Andersons Creek Road, , Doncaster East Victoria, 3109

Read More

Doncaster East, VIC - Baptist

Doncaster East, VIC - Baptist

Address: 47 Tunstall Road, , Doncaster East Victoria, 3109

Read More

Doncaster East, VIC - St David's Anglican

Doncaster East, VIC - St David's Anglican

Address: 1111 Doncaster Road, , Doncaster East Victoria, 3109

Read More

Doncaster East, VIC - Uniting

Doncaster East, VIC - Uniting

Address: 152 Andersons Creek Road, , Doncaster East Victoria, 3109

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Church of Christ

Doncaster, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1956

Address: Doncaster Road, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The first service was held in the home of Thomas Porter senr on Sunday August 30 1863. In addition to the meetings at the Porter home, gospel services were held in the Chapel owned by the Baptists who had discontinued meetings. The Church commenced in 1863 and by 1864 a small weatherboard chapel was built on the present site. In 1889 a…

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Doncaster, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: Church Road, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

Gothic Revival in design the original church had pointed arched windows, a slate roof built of dark brown brickwork and stone. The front porch was removed in the 1950's.* Largely as a result of agitation by Mr Pickering a church building committee was formed in 1867. Mr E. Tatham chaired a meeting at which subscription lists were drawn…

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Lutheran

Doncaster, VIC - Lutheran

Year Built: 1892

Address: 51 Victoria Street, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The first church was built in 1858. The new church was built in 1892. The Architect was J.A. Koch. Built of red brick the building has rendered dressings and mouldings with a slate roof. The church has belfry made of timber with scale slates on the lower section and a cast iron wall vents at mid-wall.

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Pilgrim Uniting

Doncaster, VIC - Pilgrim Uniting

Year Built: 1970

Address: 29 Westfield Drive, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The Foundation stone was laid on 4 October 1970 by H.G. Mackay B.A.

Read More

Donvale, VIC - Presbyterian

Donvale, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: McGowans Street, , Donvale Victoria, 3111

Read More

Donvale, VIC - St John's Anglican (Former)

Donvale, VIC - St John's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1907

Address: 272 Springvale Road, , Donvale Victoria, 3111

The land at 283 Springvale Rd on which the 110 year old church and hall sits was sold to Manningham Council in the 1970’s for the use of and care by the Council. It reflects poorly on councils past that in 2006, a property heritage report was ignored and the property was sold in 2008. The Church was built by volunteer labour. At 3…

Read More

Doreen, VIC - Hazelglen Uniting

Doreen, VIC - Hazelglen Uniting

Year Built: 1872

Address: Corner Yan Yean & Chapel Road, , Doreen Victoria, 3754

The land upon which the Hazelgen Uniting Church, Mernda Parish, stands was purchased from Henry Walker for 10 shillings. The church was built in 1872. The church was built during the ministry of Wesleyan Minister, the Rev. Charles Dubourg, who also oversaw the erection of churches at Thomastown, Whittlesea and Wollert. It replaced a…

Read More