Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1911 and 1920


Aberdeen, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Aberdeen, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1914

Address: 160 Melrose Road, , Aberdeen Tasmania, 7310

The foundation stone was laid on the 2nd July 1914 by Mrs John Denney relict of Mr John Denney who was one of the Pioneer Methodists of the North West Coast. Today the church is in private hands and called Aberdeen Abbey.

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: 261 Grote Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

After the original church, that was located in West Terrace became too small it was decided to build a new one in Grote St. St Patrick’s Church was the principal place of Catholic worship in Adelaide until St Francis Xavier Cathedral opened on Wakefield Street in 1858. Alterations to the simple stone building of St Patrick’s Church…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

The first congregation of the newly established parish met for Mass in the Council Chambers on Sunday 6 March 1898. There were about fifty people present.* A block of land at the corner of Trafalgar and Johnson Streets was purchased and it was proposed to build a church school and convent. The Architect was Joseph Sheerin. The Church…

Read More

Armidale, NSW - Baptist

Armidale, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1918

Address: 124 Jessie Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

The first Baptist Church in Armidale was built in 1882 on the corner of Brown and Allingham Streets. The current Armidale property, on corner Rusden and Jessie Streets, was purchased by members of the Black Mountain congregation in 1918, and the current Armidale building was opened in December that year. It cost £2,500. A Foundation…

Read More

Armidale, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic

Armidale, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 136 Dangar Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

Mr Joseph Daly donated £300 to purchase suitable land for the first Cathedral closer to the centre of town and a decision was made to purchase land from Thomas Bryan Fitzgerald on the north-western corner of Dangar and Barney Streets, Armidale. The cathedral, of brick construction and a shingled roof, was duly opened on the Feast of the…

Read More

Bardon, QLD - Pilgrim Congregational

Bardon, QLD - Pilgrim Congregational

Year Built: 1914

Address: Corner Simpson & Boundary Roads, , Bardon Queensland, 4065

The land on which this church stands is part of a 38 acre block originally purchased from the Crown in 1862 by Francis Lyon. A year later the whole parcel of land was transferred to Joshua Jeays. Jeays was a notable colonial architect, Brisbane councillor, and eventually, Mayor of Brisbane.. Believed to have been originally constructed…

Read More

Barmedman, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Barmedman, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1916

Address: Main Street, , Barmedman New South Wales, 2668

The fine brick building was blessed upon its completion by Rev. John Gallagher, Bishop of Goulburn on 19th March 1916, and dedicated to God under the patronage of Saint Joseph. It is not known when Barmedman was connected to the Parish of Temora. The first Mass for the township on record took place in 1882. In the absence of the church…

Read More

Beagle Bay, WA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Beagle Bay, WA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1917

Address: Bishop Place, , Beagle Bay Western Australia, 6725

The community was established by Trappist Monks around 1890. In 1884, the first ever priest arrived to serve the Catholics in the Kimberley to try and convert the Aboriginal people. Bishop Matthew Gibney founded the Beagle Bay mission, developed in the land of the Nyul Nyul people. The Pallottine fathers and brothers took charge of the…

Read More

Binalong, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Binalong, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1913

Address: Monteagle Street, , Binalong New South Wales, 2584

The first church was located on Church Hill and was called the Church of St Peter's and Paul. The foundation stone of that church was laid in March 1859. It was later demolished. The Foundation stone of the existing Federation style church was laid on 17 September 1911 by the Catholic Bishop of Goulburn Dr Gallagher. Built of local…

Read More

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1912

Address: Corner High & Hamilton Streets, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

The original church was a small wooden Methodist church built in 1895, opened on 9 June and demolished in 1912. The Builder was Mr McDonald of Broadford. A Foundation stone was laid by M McKenzie MLA on 1 June 1912 when a newer church was erected. The builder was James Sutherland. The foundation stone was laid by MK McKenzie MLA on 1…

Read More

Brunswick North, VIC - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Brunswick North, VIC - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: 51 Mitchell Street, , Brunswick North Victoria, 3056

St Margaret Mary's was originally part of the parish of St Ambrose in Brunswick. It was first known as St Matthew's and was established in 1913. The original St Matthew's church, built the previous year, served as a church, school and hall. A Foundation stone reads, " A.O.D.G. To the worship of God under the invocation of Saint…

Read More

Bulahdelah, NSW - St John's Anglican

Bulahdelah, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1912

Address: 59 Stroud St, , Bulahdelah New South Wales, 2423

The first place of worship in Bulaheldah was the Church of England School building under the umbrella of the Parish of Stroud. The Church was built in 1912

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Our Lady of Victories Catholic

Camberwell, VIC - Our Lady of Victories Catholic

Year Built: 1918

Address: 548 Burke Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The church is built of Barrabool stone, from Waurn Ponds, Geelong. The most prominent external feature is the cupola – the rounded copper dome adorning the church roof. The foundation stone was laid on 25 May 1913, replacing an earlier church-school building dedicated to St John Berchman opened in 1887. The cost of the building was…

Read More

Campsie, NSW - St John's Anglican

Campsie, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1911

Address: Anzac Square, , Campsie New South Wales, 2194

The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend John Charles Wright D.D. Archbishop of Sydney on 22 April 1911.

Read More

Campsie, NSW - St Mels Catholic

Campsie, NSW - St Mels Catholic

Year Built: 1915

Address: 7 Evaline Street, , Campsie New South Wales, 2194

Built around 1915 the Church cost 12,000 according to an article in the Sydney Morning Herald of 25 October 1927. The Church was opened by Archbishop Kelly. Romanesque style red brick Church with slate roof. Arched opening at front, small rose window, pilasters alongside walls are features. It is a typical twentieth century Parish…

Read More

Cobram, VIC - Uniting

Cobram, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1912

Address: 10 Hay Avenue, , Cobram Victoria, 3644

A Foundation stone on the Church reads, " This stone was laid by Rev J. Matthew M.A. B.D. 18th September 1912. Rev B.T. Buntine Minister". a Foundation stone on the hall next door reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Miss Sarah Irvin 14th May 1958 Minister Rev Neil Scott B.A. Architect Keith Reid Builders J.W. Napier, E.W.…

Read More

Coburg, VIC - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Coburg, VIC - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: Mitchell Street, , Coburg Victoria, 3058

The Foundation stone was laid on 14 March 1920 by the Archbishop of Melbourne the Most Reverend Daniel Mannix.

Read More

Coolamon, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Coolamon, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: Methul Street, , Coolamon New South Wales, 2701

The first church was built about the year 1888. It was enlarged some years later and served as a church school until the present brick church was built by the Rev Father Griffin in 1911 at a cost of £1,600. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 October 1911. In 1928 the church was added to by the erection of a sanctuary, sacristy and…

Read More

Cootamundra, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Cootamundra, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1916

Address: Morris Street, , Cootamundra New South Wales, 2590

The first Roman Catholic was built in 1870. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid on 8 February 1916.

Read More

Corowa, NSW - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

Corowa, NSW - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: 23 Parade Place, , Corowa New South Wales, 2646

The current church was erected on the site of the first church which was built in 1875. While it was being built, Mass was celebrated in the school. It cost £9,000 to construct and built of brick with an imposing front elevation. Almost at the summit is a canopied niche, containing a magnificent statue of the Sacred heart in white Carara…

Read More

Cowra, NSW - St Peter's Presbyterian

Cowra, NSW - St Peter's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1912

Address: Macquarie Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

The original church was opened in 1861 and built by Mr Pinder. The present church had its foundation stone laid in February 1912 by T.E. Clouston D.D. and was opened in 1913 and built by Henry S Francis. It was opened by Reverend James Barr.

Read More

Cressy, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Cressy, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1913

Address: Cressy Road, , Cressy Victoria, 3322

The foundation stone was laid in 1911 by Mrs John Nelson of Kilernie and the building opened in 1913, together with a new manse that has since been destroyed. The boarded decoration in the gable of the faade and porch has since been removed. The interior includes several stained glass windows and its original pulpit and pews.

Read More

Crystal Brook, SA - St Silas Anglican

Crystal Brook, SA - St Silas Anglican

Year Built: 1911

Address: 58 Brandis Street, , Crystal Brook South Australia, 5523

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 April 1885 by Bishop Kennion and Reverend Mr Corvan and dedicated on 31 August 1885 according to the Adelaide Observer. Another The Foundation stone was laid on 29 March 1911 by Reverend Arch Deacon Samwell.

Read More

Crystal Brook, SA - Uniting

Crystal Brook, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1912

Address: Adelaide Square, , Crystal Brook South Australia, 5523

Several foundation stones appear to have been laid on 6 June 1912. They include one by Si Day H Bosanquet Governor of South Australia. The others include one by Mr J.C. Symons, Mr F.J Johnson and Reverend Henry Howard. The adjacent Hall was opened in 1967.

Read More

Culcairn, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Culcairn, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1914

Address: Corner Balfour & Fraser Streets, , Culcairn New South Wales, 2660

The Foundation stone was laid by the right Reverend E.A. Anderson D.D. Bishop of the Riverina on 27 September 1914.

Read More

Curramulka, SA - Uniting

Curramulka, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1911

Address: Fourth Street, , Curramulka South Australia, 5580

Formerly a Methodist Church the Foundation stone was laid on 5 September 1911 by Mrs C Lovelock.

Read More

Daceyville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Daceyville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1913

Address: 29 Banks Avenue, Daceyville, New South Wales, 2032

Daceyville was Crown land in the 1880's and was named Raggetty Flat. In January of 1913, the Government Housing Board asked Archbishop Kelly if the Catholic Church was interested in participating in a ballot for sites to erect religious buildings in the then named Dacey Garden Suburb. The Archbishop accepted the invitation and the…

Read More

Delegate, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Delegate, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1916

Address: 6 Church Street, , Delegate New South Wales, 2633

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid and blessed by The Very Rev J.J. Norris Parish Priest and Vicar Forane of Cooma Dec 12th 1915".

Read More

Derrinallum, VIC - Uniting

Derrinallum, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1914

Address: Main Street, , Derrinallum Victoria, 3325

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 February 1914 by Mrs H Allan Currie.

Read More

Donald, VIC Methodist (Former)

Donald, VIC Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1914

Address: 20 McCulloch Street, , Donald Victoria, 3480

The first services were held in the home of Mr Thomas Bath at Swanwater West prior to 1873 and were services conducted by Ministers from St Arnaud. There were local Methodist churches in Swanwater, Jeffcott and Avon. A Church for Donald was also under consideration but an effort to raise subscriptions in November 1876 was not…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St Mary's Immaculate Conception Catholic

East Malvern, VIC - St Mary's Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: 91 Manning Road, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

In 1891, on Sunday, December 13th, Archbishop Thomas Carr blessed and opened a new timber station church (on the site of the current presbytery) for the parish of St. Stephen’s, Oakleigh at a place named Emo, after the Emo Estate. Today, on that same block of land purchased for £542, the buildings of St. Mary’s Catholic Parish stand. They…

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St Clement's Anglican

Elsternwick, VIC - St Clement's Anglican

Year Built: 1915

Address: Corner Glen Huntley & Brighton Roads, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3185

The first church was a wooden church and was erected in 1886 at the corner of McCombie Street. It was opened by the Very Reverend H.B. McCartney. It was later relocated to the current church site.* The Foundation stone of the present church was laid on 21 August 1915 by the Archbishop of Melbourne James Moorehouse.*

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St John's Uniting

Elsternwick, VIC - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1915

Address: 567 Glen Huntly Road, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3188

The first service was conducted by the Rev George Faulds in the Court House (31 October). He is to become the first permanent minister at the Caulfield Presbyterian Church. In 1915 Architects are requested to invite fresh tenders for a new church. The tender for the new church was accepted for £2,787. A Foundation stone reads, " This…

Read More

Encounter Bay, SA - Uniting

Encounter Bay, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1919

Address: 30 Giles Street, , Encounter Bay South Australia, 5211

Called the Jeffries Memorial Church the foundation stone was laid on 1 November 1919 by Mr R.T. Sweetman. The connection with the Jefferis family was quite extensive. A photo of Dr Jefferis hangs in the church, the land was given by Mrs Jefferis and the preaching desk was also donated by Mrs Jefferis. The original Communion table…

Read More

Eugowra, NSW - Welsh Memorial Uniting

Eugowra, NSW - Welsh Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1912

Address: North Street, , Eugowra New South Wales, 2806

Formerly a Presbyterian Church the foundation stone was laid on 3 January 1912 Robert Kay Moderator. The church hall was erected in 1958.

Read More

Exeter, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Exeter, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1916

Address: 91 Main Road, , Exeter Tasmania, 7075

The first move towards the establishment of a church at Exeter took place during the year 1910 when a meeting was held at the Hotel to discuss the purchase of a piece of land on which to build a church. Those attending that meeting included Rev. C. C. Macmichael, Messrs B. C. Archer, Spencer Priestley, George Bray and Eric Reid. It was…

Read More

Finley, NSW - Presbyterian

Finley, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1919

Address: Corner Denison & Wollamai Streets, , Finley New South Wales, 2713

The Foundation stone was laid by Mrs C McAlister 29 October 1919.

Read More

Forest Hill, VIC - Uniting

Forest Hill, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1916

Address: 333A Canterbury Road, , Forest Hill Victoria, 3131

In August 1864 a public meeting was held at the cottage of Francis Rooks in the forests of Nunawading "for the purpose of taking into consideration the desirability of raising a chapel in connection with the Wesleyan Body". In the chair was Joseph Aspinall. The site first held services in 1870. A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was…

Read More

Ganmain, NSW - Uniting

Ganmain, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1911

Address: Corner Gresham & Langham Street, , Ganmain New South Wales, 2702

The Foundation stone was laid on 18 October 1911 by Richard Higman Esq.

Read More

Gilgandra, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Gilgandra, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1912

Address: 42 Myrtle Street, , Gilgandra New South Wales, 2827

By 1912 the Presbyterians of Gilgandra were in a position to construct a church building and decided to ‘build one that would meet the requirements of a growing congregation for some time’. A building capable of seating 250 people was designed by Messrs. Power and Andrews of Sydney. Mr. R. J. Carson undertook construction under the…

Read More