Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Architectural Style: Gothic Early English


Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1872

Address: 170 Flinders Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5011

The beginnings of the Church can be traced to 1860 when about six families withdrew membership from Pastor Borgelt's Klemzig congregation on scriptural and confessional grounds. With several families who had been members of the Trinity congregation, as well as a number of others who were not affiliated with any group, they formed the…

Read More

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1885

Address: 239 Main Streert, , Bairnsdale Victoria, 3875

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone for St Andrew's Church was laid by Rev A S McLean on December 17th, 1885. The site now accommodation a Health Services Group and a Red Cross Centre.

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Ballarat, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 1307 Sturt Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

In contemplation of its earliest beginning's of St Peter's Church Ballarat the credit for its foundation must undoubtedly be given to Rev John Potter and his curate the Rev H.C.M. Watson some time during the year 1861. It is upon the erection of a school house in 1861 on the Yuille's Swamp Reserve which was sometimes called a school…

Read More

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1860

Address: 40 Ross Street, , Batesford Victoria, 3213

First services were held in private homes such as "Darriwill" home of the Hope family. Later Reve Sutherland conducted services in a tin shed on top of Batesford Hill until he left in 1887. In December 1859 tenders were let by the Architect Joseph Lowe Shaw for the erection of a bluestone church. A plaque on the upper section of the…

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Bendigo, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1873

Address: Myer's Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

The cathedral was designed by the architect Robert A. Love. The nave was dedicated in November 1868, the bell tower in 1873 and the chancel and transepts in 1927. Originally a parish church, St Paul's became the diocese's cathedral in 1981. The building is constructed of red brick with stone dressings in an early Gothic style and is…

Read More

Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: 105 High Street, , Berwick Victoria, 3806

The first service was held in 1856 in Narre Warren at the residence of Mr Catenach on a fortnightly basis for about a year and then moved to a hut in Berwick owned by a Mr Gardiner. The Church is the oldest church in Berwick, and the congregation was founded amongst Scottish and English settlers in 1857 by Rev Alexander Duff, an Irish…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Brighton, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1875

Address: 17 Black Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

In 1853 a Church, the Independents (later Congregational Church) began services in a tent measuring 10ft x 12ft which they erected in Carpenter street. Their Minister was the Reverend Henry Kidgell recently arrived from England. In April that year it was resolved to erect a small wooden chapel on a quarter acre block of land in Male…

Read More

Casino, NSW - Presbyterian

Casino, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1908

Address: 181 Canterbury Road, , Casino New South Wales, 2470

St Paul's Presbyterian Church was opened on Wednesday 15 July 1908 by the Right Rev. J. Macaulay, Moderator of the General Assembly. Designed by the Casino architects, Messrs Popplewell and Sykes, in the Early English Gothic style.

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 281 Glen Ira Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

The first Anglican service held in Caulfield was conducted by the Reverend Samuel Taylor (from St Andrew's Brighton) and Reverend David Seddon (of Christ Church St Kilda) in Park Street. In 1859 steps were taken to build a Church, which for some years was known as '"All Saints." Sir George Stephen gave a quarter of an acre of land, on…

Read More

Chippendale, NSW - St Benedict's Catholic

Chippendale, NSW - St Benedict's Catholic

Year Built: 1857

Address: 104 Broadway, , Chippendale New South Wales, 2008

In January 1836 Fr McEncroe applies to the colonial government for a grant of land. The Colonial Secretary advises the approval for the appropriation of one of four vacant allotments on Parramatta Road, near Cooper’s distillery. In 1843 tenders are called for the erection of a “church (St Benedict’s) in stone as well as brick”. By the end…

Read More

Coburg, VIC - Wesleyan Methodist (former)

Coburg, VIC - Wesleyan Methodist (former)

Year Built: 1857

Address: 512 Sydney Road, , Coburg Victoria, 3058

The oldest Methodist Church in Victoria and the first built of blue stone. On 5th August 1857, a foundation stone for a church was laid, designed by T.J. Crouch. A sealed bottle containing the following record was placed in the stone cavity beneath the corner stone together with a copy of Argus and Herald of the day: "This stone…

Read More

Cootamundra, NSW - Uniting

Cootamundra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1899

Address: Cooper Street, , Cootamundra New South Wales, 2590

A Foundation stone attached to the current church was laid on 10 June 1936 by John Wilson McClintock. In the 1932 Jubilee Souvenir booklet of the Presbyterian Church, mention was made that the present church building was inadequate for the needs of the growing congregation, and the Board of Management had under review various schemes for…

Read More

Cranbourne, VIC - St John's Anglican

Cranbourne, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: Corner Childers & Russell streets, , Cranbourne Victoria, 3977

Read More

Creswick, VIC - St John's Anglican

Creswick, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: 103 Napier Street, , Creswick Victoria, 3363

Read More

Edgecliff, NSW - St Joseph Catholic

Edgecliff, NSW - St Joseph Catholic

Year Built: 1874

Address: 12 Albert Street, , Edgecliff New South Wales, 2027

The church is in the early English style of Gothic architecture, and is built of brick on stone foundations. The nave is 80 by 35 feet in width, 20 feet high to wall plate, and 45 feet to ridge pole. The chancel is placed at the north end and is 20 feet wide by 15 deep…” is how the Freeman’s Journal Sydney begins the description of the…

Read More

Geelong, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Geelong, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1861

Address: Corner La Trobe Tce & Ryrie Streets, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

St George's Presbyterian Church was formed in 1861 by a breakaway group from the St Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Yarra Street. The large and finely constructed Church reflects the wealth of many of the Church's foundation patrons, which included Francis Ormond and other western district squatters. The Church is a significant and intact…

Read More

Inverleigh, VIC - Presbyterian

Inverleigh, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1861

Address: Western Highway, , Inverleigh Victoria, 3321

Read More

Inverleigh, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Inverleigh, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1889

Address: 23 - 41 High Street, , Inverleigh Victoria, 3321

A Foundation stone reads 1858 however it was re laid on 16 July 1889 by Mrs Moriarty. One of the few and earliest church building complexes in the Golden Plains Shire, comprising a distinctive and predominantly intact Victorian Early English Gothic styled church building, moderately intact Victorian styled Vicarage and rudimentary…

Read More

Kangaroo Ground, VIC - Presbyterian

Kangaroo Ground, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1878

Address: Corner Graham & Eltham Yarra Glen Road, , Kangaroo Ground Victoria, 3097

From 1843 to 1853 the Rev Gunn conducted church services at regular intervals in the Donaldson's barn in Kangaroo Ground. The school was closely associated with the Church as officially it was Kangaroo Ground Presbyterian Church School No. 27. By 1853 the name had changed to Scots Church School and by 1854 to Church of Scotland School.…

Read More

Kilmore, VIC - St Andrew's Presyterian (Former)

Kilmore, VIC - St Andrew's Presyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1864

Address: 3 Hamilton Street, , Kilmore Victoria, 3764

The earlier records of this congregation have been lost, but apparently services were held at irregular intervals in the old Mechanics' Hall. These services were conducted by Mr. Donald McInnes.At the first Annual Meeting of the congregation held in October, 1852, the erection of a Free Church in Kilmore was unanimously agreed to, and Mr.…

Read More

Kilmore, VIC - Uniting (former)

Kilmore, VIC - Uniting (former)

Year Built: 1858

Address: Powlett Street, , Kilmore Victoria, 3764

The foundation stone was laid on 20th October, 1858 by Rev. D.J. Draper, secretary of the Australasian Wesleyan Conference and Chairman of the Victoria District. The Rev John Newton was minister in charge. The architects were Crouch and Wilson and the contractor, a Mr Wood. The church was opened in early 1859, with the "Kilmore Examiner"…

Read More

Leopold, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Leopold, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1863

Address: 725 Queenscliff Road, , Leopold Victoria, 3224

In 1853 the Rev. George Pollard was appointed to care for Anglicans for the whole of the Bellarine district, the initial church being the school at Pt. Henry. This simple and original early English Gothic style church is an interesting parish church design and a notable work of Edward Prowse, a Geelong architect with an acknowledged…

Read More

Melbourne, VIC - CrossCulture Church of Christ

Melbourne, VIC - CrossCulture Church of Christ

Year Built: 1847

Address: Swanston Street, , Melbourne Victoria, 3000

A Church has occupied this site since 1847. The present building has associations with the early history of the Free Presbyterian Church in Victoria(1863), particularly with the Reverend James Forbes. Its architect, Charles Webb, was very important in nineteenth century Melbourne. His works include several Churches, of which this is…

Read More

Melbourne, VIC - Welsh Church

Melbourne, VIC - Welsh Church

Year Built: 1871

Address: 320 La Trobe Street, , Melbourne Victoria, 3000

Built in the Gothic Early style the church was designed in 1871 by Charles Webb. The contractor was Mr Ireland. The first Welsh Service in Melbourne was held at the Baptist Chapel Collins Street East in December of 1852. The Preacher was Mr Zorenbabel of Carmarthen Wales. From then on Welsh miners regularly gathered for worship here…

Read More

Myrniong, VIC - Uniting

Myrniong, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1861

Address: 138 Old Western Highway, , Myrniong Victoria, 3341

Known as the Pentland Hills Uniting Church.

Read More

Rozelle, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Rozelle, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: 668 Darling Road, , Rozelle New South Wales, 2039

The Church was built in 1874 in an Early English Gothic style to the design of Edmund Blacket, originally of brick with stone detailing, but later obscured by paintwork. The five bay nave was built first, followed by the transepts, sanctuary and vestry. he main façade incorporates a small bellcote rising between the two lancet windows.…

Read More

Shelford, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Shelford, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1859

Address: Mercer Street, , Shelford Victoria, 3329

Initial services were provided to Shelford from the Geelong circuit of the Primitive Methodists. In September 1865 tenders were called for the construction of a Primitive Methodist church. It appears that the tender was not proceeded with, as tenders were again called on the 15th September 1869. Tenders for a stone church were to be…

Read More

South Melbourne, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

South Melbourne, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1857

Address: 221 Dorcas Street, , South Melbourne Victoria, 3205

St Luke's was erected in 1857, enlarged in 1859 and consecrated in May 1861 as the parish Church for the growing municipality of Emerald Hill (South Melbourne). The design of the cruciform plan timber roofed church, constructed of basalt with minimal freestone dressings and originally intended to be crowned by a lofty tower and spire, is…

Read More

St Arnaud, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

St Arnaud, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: Corner Queens Avenue & Raglan Streets, , St Arnaud Victoria, 3478

Early in 1862 a committee was formed to establish how many followers of the faith were in the region. By April of the same year an application for a grant of land was made. Monthly services were commenced and conducted by Reverend T.B. Garlick on Avoca and Reverend W. Hall of Kingower.* Tenders were called in 1864 for a church that…

Read More

St Arnaud, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

St Arnaud, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1096

Address: Corner Queen's Avenue & Alma Streets, , St Arnaud Victoria, 3478

Read More

St Arnaud, VIC - Uniting

St Arnaud, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1876

Address: 30 McMahon Street, , St Arnaud Victoria, 3478

St. Arnaud’s first Presbyterian minister, Rev. Hugh McKail, held early services in homes and hired halls, until the council granted land for a church and Manse. This church was designed by Charles Vickers, features an impressive bell tower and spire with a steep roof clad in slate.

Read More

St Kilda East, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

St Kilda East, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1864

Address: 208 Dandenong Road, , St Kilda East Victoria, 3183

The first Catholic Bishop of Melbourne, Bishop James Alipius Goold blessed and opened a Church which was later demolished in 1867. It stood at the southern end of where the present Church stands. After five years of construction, on the 31st July 1864 the current church designed by William Wardell held its first Mass. In 1959, the Lady…

Read More

Streatham, VIC - St John's Uniting

Streatham, VIC - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1875

Address: 38 Campbell Street, , Streatham Victoria, 3351

The Church was built in 1875. Badly burnt in 1977, and was restored and rededicated in 1980. Of Early English Gothic design its a four bay, bluestone church with spire capped tower. The Architect was possibly H S Saville. Walls are constructed in random-coursed bluestone with lighter coloured stone dressings and a slate roof.

Read More

Sunbury, VIC - Our Lady of Mt Carmel Catholic

Sunbury, VIC - Our Lady of Mt Carmel Catholic

Year Built: 1864

Address: Macedon Street, , Sunbury Victoria, 3429

Initially pastoral care in the Sunbury district was provided by the Coburg Mission. Father Patrick Dunne began celebrating the Eucharist in homes at Oaklands Junction from 1852. The earliest known Catholic gatherinfgs for Mass were held at the home of mary Daniel who offered her home Narbonne in Oaklands Junction to the visitng Priests.…

Read More

West Geelong, VIC - St Peter and St Paul Catholic

West Geelong, VIC - St Peter and St Paul Catholic

Year Built: 1864

Address: Mercer Street, , Geelong West Victoria, 3218

On the 25's October 1849, Acting Vicar-General, Rev. N.J. Coffey applied for 2 acres of land near the village of Ashby. The-Governors finally approved the grant on 25 October 1850. By 1855, a brick school had been built on the site now occupied by the Presbytery. The school was used as a venue to celebrate mass on Sundays and holidays of…

Read More

Wickliffe, VIC Uniting (Former)

Wickliffe, VIC Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1861

Address: Patterson Street, , Wickliffe Victoria, 3379

The Church was sold in 2018.

Read More