Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1871 and 1880


Hunters Hill, NSW - Life Congregtional

Hunters Hill, NSW - Life Congregtional

Year Built: 1878

Address: 20 Alexander Street, , Hunters Hill New South Wales, 2110

The Church held its first service in November 1876. The building, predominantly of sandstone, was completed in 1878 by builder Antonio Bondietti, an immigrant from Switzerland. Its architect was Albert Bond. A metal plaque on the stone fence reads, " In memorium William C. Howard a Deacon for many years OBIT Jan 26th 1932".

Read More

Inverell, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Inverell, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1878

Address: 94 Vivian Street, , Inverell New South Wales, 2360

In the beginning, services were conducted in the home of Mr. Colin Ross until 1857. This continued for a mere three years until a move was made to build a church on a Crown grant of 1 acre 3 roods 32 perches, Suburban allotment 6, dated 24th August, 1859. This is the date of the Title Deed but the actual building commenced earlier. This…

Read More

Jamberoo, NSW - St Matthew's Catholic

Jamberoo, NSW - St Matthew's Catholic

Year Built: 1879

Address: 22 Chapel Lane, , Jamberoo New South Wales, 2533

The first Church was erected in 1839 on land donated by the O'Mara family. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 November 1875 by Bishop Vaughan. The church was blessed and opened on 7 September 1879 by Archbishop Roger Vaughan.

Read More

Jamberoo, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian (Former)

Jamberoo, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1875

Address: 2 Allowrie Street, , Jamberoo New South Wales, 2533

The Church was designed by John Colley and built in 1875 by John and James Marks, D. L. Dymock and W. Stewart. The church building was sold in 2009. Services were initially conducted in Dr. Menzies' barn by the Rev. John Tait, MA, the first minister of the Church of Scotland in Illawarra. The Church was opened and dedicated in the…

Read More

Jamberoo, NSW - Uniting

Jamberoo, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1879

Address: 11 Wyalla Street, , Jamberoo New South Wales, 2533

A plaque on the Church wall reads, " This building was originally erected in 1879 as a Wesleyan Chapel and became the Methodist Church in 1902 joining the Uniting Church in Australia in 1977".

Read More

Jerilderie, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Jerilderie, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1878

Address: Corner Coreen & Kennedy Streets, , Jerilderie New South Wales, 2716

The Church was built in 1878 and opened in 1882. It was enlarge in 1898 and the Sacristy added in 1928. Famous people who attended the church included Michael Abney-Hastings 1P Earl of Loudon (said to be the true King of England) was married in St Joseph's Catholic Church on Saturday March 8, 2008.

Read More

Kangaroo Ground, VIC - Presbyterian

Kangaroo Ground, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1878

Address: Corner Graham & Eltham Yarra Glen Road, , Kangaroo Ground Victoria, 3097

From 1843 to 1853 the Rev Gunn conducted church services at regular intervals in the Donaldson's barn in Kangaroo Ground. The school was closely associated with the Church as officially it was Kangaroo Ground Presbyterian Church School No. 27. By 1853 the name had changed to Scots Church School and by 1854 to Church of Scotland School.…

Read More

Kangaroo Point, QLD - St Mary's Anglican

Kangaroo Point, QLD - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1872

Address: 455 Main Street, , Kangaroo Point Queensland, 4169

The first Anglican church was built in John (now Rotherham) Street, and the first services were taken by Archdeacon Glennie of The Downs, with the first Rector being Rev. Bodenham. The foundation stone of the present church was laid in 1872, and the church was consecrated on 5 November 1873,2 replacing an earlier timber church built…

Read More

Kangaroo Valley, NSW - Church of the Good Shepherd Anglican

Kangaroo Valley, NSW - Church of the Good Shepherd Anglican

Year Built: 1872

Address: 145 Moss Vale Road, , Kangaroo Valley New South Wales, 2577

Designed by John Horbury Hunt and built by John Tanner under the patronage of Isabel Osborne, in 1872. Constructed of brick and local sandstone, the Norman designed building had a thatched roof, which was replaced by shingles and then tiles. This was John Horbury Hunts’ first work and bears all of the structural honesty for which he was…

Read More

Keilor, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Keilor, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1877

Address: 36 Church Street, , Keilor Victoria, 3036

Christ Church Anglican Keilor, was designed by Ebenezer Bonfield and dedicated by Dr. Macartney, Dean of Melbourne, on January 28th, 1877, which replaced a corrugated iron building on the Calder Highway between Bonfield and Flora Streets. The first vicar of the` church was the Rev. R.H. Rodda and the first collection was taken up in a…

Read More

Kingower, VIC - St Mary's Anglican (Former)

Kingower, VIC - St Mary's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1871

Address: 1164 Inglewood Rheola Road, , Kingower Victoria, 3517

A report from the "Inglewood Advertiser" of January 28, 1870 reads, "The Memorial Stone of St. Mary's Church at Kingower was laid on Tuesday last (January 25) by Miss Mary Hall, the daughter of the Revd. William Hall, M.A., the Incumbent of the Kingower district, assisted by the members of the Ladies' Committee of the Church Building…

Read More

Kingston, TAS - St Aloysius Catholic

Kingston, TAS - St Aloysius Catholic

Year Built: 1874

Address: Church Street, , Kingston Tasmania, 7051

The church was established in 1873 and opened in 1874. The Architect was Henry Hunter.

Read More

Korweinguboora, VIC - Catholic (Former)

Korweinguboora, VIC - Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1871

Address: 1729 Daylesford Ballan Road , , Korweinguboora Victoria, 3461

Read More

Lancefield, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Lancefield, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1872

Address: 27 Chauncey Street, , Lancefield Victoria, 3435

In 1866 an application was made for one acre of land to be set aside for church purposes. This was later increased to 2 acres. The land was gazetted in 1869. Services were held in the local Court House until the church was built in 1872. The Town Hall was also used for services as was the home of the Conways. The design of the church…

Read More

Latrobe, TAS - St David's Presbyterian

Latrobe, TAS - St David's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1879

Address: 7 Hamilton Street, , Latrobe Tasmania, 7307

Churches in circuit covered by the Latrobe Minister were Latrobe, Sassafras, Harford, Melrose, Aberdeen & Greenbanks. First Mission was held in Latrobe Circuit in 1910 by Rev. V. Trigge. The Church is built of brick, with freestone facings and a slate roof, after a design by William Gadsby, and has seating for 200 people. The Foundation…

Read More

Latrobe, TAS - St Patrick's Catholic

Latrobe, TAS - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1871

Address: 195 Gilbert Street, , Latrobe Tasmania, 7307

Bishop Willson applied for two acres at Latrobe, on October 22, 1864, as the site for a church, school and cemetery. The following February, he asked for another block in lieu of a section of land not granted "on account of the proposed tramway running near the land". The total land grant to the Catholics of Latrobe was five acres.…

Read More

Laura, SA - Baptist

Laura, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1875

Address: Victoria Street, , Laura South Australia, 5480

The Foundation stone was laid in 1875. The church building may have been sold in 2011.

Read More

Laura, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Laura, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Year Built: 1880

Address: Main Street, , Laura South Australia, 5480

The Lutheran's of Laura first attended church at Appila. By the early 1880's several more Lutheran families had moved into Laura and this prompted Pastor Kaibel of Appila to conduct services there. By 1891 there were 19 communicant members at Laura and by 1903 the Laura families severed their ties with the Appila congregation. Services…

Read More

Laura, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Laura, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: 4 North Terrace, , Laura South Australia, 5480

The town of Laura was surveyed in 1871 and in August 1873, the church acquired Blocks 1 and 3 at £17 Ten Shillings each; portion of Block I is still retained, thereon being erected the Church of St. John and the Parish Hall. The first known church of England service in Laura was conducted by the Rev. Hartley Williams, a missionary from…

Read More

Lavender Bay, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Lavender Bay, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1872

Address: Cnr Lavender and Walker Streets, , Lavender Bay New South Wales, 2060

The Church was founded in 1868 and the present building was built to Gothic Revival designs by Benjamin Backhouse, chosen by competition. It was constructed by William Eaton in 1869–72, using sandstone quarried on the site. Services of worship have been conducted since 1872. An inscription on a gate reads, " These memorial gates were…

Read More

Longford, TAS - Baptist (Former)

Longford, TAS - Baptist (Former)

Year Built: 1880

Address: 7 Smith Street, , Longford Tasmania, 7301

The first services were held in what were then known as the Assembly Rooms, and are now the front rooms of the Town Hall. During Pastor Wood's ministry the Sunday School Hall, erected at a cost of four hundred pounds, was received by the pastor as a gift from Mrs. Gibson. The main church building had previously been provided as a gift by…

Read More

Longford, TAS - Uniting

Longford, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1879

Address: 3 High Street, , Longford Tasmania, 7301

The first Church was built in Wellington Street on land donated by Joseph Heazlewood. By 1870 it had been demolished and a new church built in High Street. A full history at the website Churches of Tasmania can be viewed here.

Read More

Lorne, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Lorne, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1880

Address: Mountjoy Parade, , Lorne Victoria, 3232

Original services were held beside the Erskine river and later transferred to Erskine House in 1879 - 1880. The decision to build a church was made on 19 January 1880. A contract was let to build a church at a cost of £205 on an acre of land donated by Mr Gwynne. The church built there was later moved to its current site in 1884.

Read More

Maffra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Maffra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 16 Church Street, , Maffra Victoria, 3860

In 1868 the government had granted one and three-quarter acres of land to the Church of England for church purposes. This land, bounded by Boisdale, Princess, and King Streets, was thought by the Church Committee to be too far from the centre of town. So in May 1871 two half-acre blocks in Church Street were bought from a member of the…

Read More

Maitland, SA - St Bartholomew's Catholic

Maitland, SA - St Bartholomew's Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: 15 Walter Street, , Maitland South Australia, 5573

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 May 1875 and a dedication service followed on December 5 conducted by the Bishop of Adelaide to most Reverend C.A. Reynolds. In July 1884 the walls were plastered a porch, vestry and gallery added.

Read More

Maitland, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Maitland, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1873

Address: Caroline Street, , Maitland South Australia, 5573

From 1873 church services were held at Ynoo at the Government well, in local homes and huts. The following year saw the church foundation stone laid on 8 December by Mrs S Rogers. The Church was opened on 4 April 1875 on land given by Samuel Rogers. The interior dimensions were to be 20 feet by 82 feet in the clear, walls 14 feet high,…

Read More

Maitland, SA - Uniting

Maitland, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1875

Address: 59 Robert Street, , Maitland South Australia, 5573

Originally a Wesleyan Methodist church, the Church was opened on Christmas Day 1875. It was built by J Swann and the mason was C Hicks. It cost 800.00. In 1904 the Sunday school hall was built at the rear of the church. A foundation stone attached to that part of the building was laid on 2 November 1904 by Mrs E Greenslade. A porch was…

Read More

Marananga, SA - St Michael's Gnadenfrei Lutheran

Marananga, SA - St Michael's Gnadenfrei Lutheran

Year Built: 1873

Address: Seppeltsfield Road, , Marananga South Australia, 5355

The area was originally called Salt Creek. It was also known as Gnadenfrei before 1918 when names of "enemy origin" were changed to sound less German. The Gnadenfrei Lutheran Church was established, then a German school was established in 1879. The first church building was erected on the present church grounds, the land being given to…

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - Roseby Memorial Uniting

Marrickville, NSW - Roseby Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1871

Address: 388 Illawarra Road, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

The Church was built between 1871 and 1890 and is named after Dr. Roseby MA, LLD FRAS, a notable Congregational preacher and scientist who was minister for 23 years from 1888. The foundation stone was laid n 1871. Built of Rockfaced sandstone with Gothic detailing, the pointed arches, butresses and strings are detailed with smooth cut…

Read More

Marulan, NSW - Uniting

Marulan, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1873

Address: 93 George Street, , Marulan New South Wales, 2579

The Church was built in 1873 and is one of the oldest buildings in Marulan. The first record of a Presbyterian service in the distract is recorded in Rev. W Hamilton's diary. "I preached at Wingello and the neighbouring stockade on 26th November 1837". It reopened for church services in 1916 and in 1917 the Rev G Tulloch moved for a…

Read More

Maryborough, QLD - St Paul's Anglican

Maryborough, QLD - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: Lennox Street, , Maryborough Queensland, 4650

The first erected church remained in use for ten years, until it was replaced with another timber church dedicated as St Paul's Episcopal church on 27 May 1866. This church was designed by Maryborough architect, William Montgomerie Davenport Davidson, who as a church warden provided his services without charge. Maryborough flourished in…

Read More

Melbourne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Melbourne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1880

Address: Corner Flinders & Swanston Streets, , Melbourne Victoria, 3000

St Paul's Cathedral is built on the site where the first public Christian services in Melbourne were led by Dr Alexander Thomson in 1836. Built in the Gothic Polychrome style, being partly early English and partly decorated. The cathedral was built between 1880 and 1891 and was designed by English Architect William Butterfield. He…

Read More

Melbourne, VIC - Welsh Church

Melbourne, VIC - Welsh Church

Year Built: 1871

Address: 320 La Trobe Street, , Melbourne Victoria, 3000

Built in the Gothic Early style the church was designed in 1871 by Charles Webb. The contractor was Mr Ireland. The first Welsh Service in Melbourne was held at the Baptist Chapel Collins Street East in December of 1852. The Preacher was Mr Zorenbabel of Carmarthen Wales. From then on Welsh miners regularly gathered for worship here…

Read More

Milawa, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Milawa, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1873

Address: Snow Road, , Milawa Victoria, 3678

The church plan, was suggested by Archdeacon Tucker three years before its erection and was prepared by Mr. George Heathcote of Wangaratta, who supervised the erection. Messrs. Fitzpatrick and Shea were the contractors. The furniture was made by Mr. J. Roberts of Little Collins St. Melbourne. Building costs amounted to more than…

Read More

Milton, NSW - Uniting (Former)

Milton, NSW - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1872

Address: 38 Croobyar Road, , Milton New South Wales, 2538

The Kiama Independent reported on 11th July , 1872 that the new Milton Congregational Church was erected on an acre of land purchased from Mr. John Bicknell for £30 and was in close proximity to the township of Milton, not more than a quarter of a mile from the site of Wesleyan Chapel. Style Architecture, Gothic, the building is really…

Read More

Mittagong, NSW - St Stephen's Anglican

Mittagong, NSW - St Stephen's Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: Main Street , , Mittagong New South Wales, 2575

In 1876, the foundation stone was laid by Frederic Barker, the Bishop of Sydney, in front of five-hundred people. Work then began on the sandstone church building, designed by famed colonial architect Edmund Blackett, which opened on November 10, 1878. The Church cost over a £1,000's to build. In 1928 the church was expanded in size by…

Read More

Mole Creek, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Mole Creek, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1878

Address: 46 Pioneer Drive, , Mole Creek Tasmania, 7304

Construction of the church began on donated land, and an associated cottage in late 1876.] It was completed in 1878, then enlarged in 1880, at which time the original building was moved to the rear and used as a supper room. An adjacent church hall was added in 1919. The Wesleyan chapel was rented by the Government for a school from at…

Read More

Moonta, SA - Uniting

Moonta, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1873

Address: 41 Robert Street, , Moonta South Australia, 5558

Formerly a Methodist Church, this Gothic Revival Church was designed by R. Rees and built by Nettleton and Thorne between 1873 and 1874. The stained glass is notable, as are the elaborately moulded openings and finials. The adjacent hall was the original church. The original Church on this site dates from the first Sunday in February…

Read More

Mooroopna, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Mooroopna, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1879

Address: 14 Alexander Street, , Maroopna Victoria, 3629

Land for the Methodist church building was purchased on 29 August 1878. The bricks were fired locally by a Mr Clarkson. The church was constructed in 1879 by the local United Free Methodist congregation. The new church was opened by its first minister, Rev. Isaacs. Other early ministers were Revs Richards, RJ Garde, F Clemens, D Porteus,…

Read More

Morialta, SA - Uniting

Morialta, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1875

Address: 26 Chapel Street, , Morialta South Australia,

Formerly a Methodist Church the first church was completed in 1855. Land was purchased on 30th May 1854 in order to build a church at Magill and the foundation stone was laid on 8th April 1855. In 1874 a decision was made to build a new church, which is the nave of the present church. The first services in the new church were…

Read More