Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1921 and 1940


Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1937

Address: 39 Downey Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The first church of St John's in Alexandra was built in 1868 and is now the parish ahll. The building was moved from a more southerly site in town to the present position in 1938. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid by Reverend Douglas Blake on 18 November 1937. The present church is of reinforced concrete designed by…

Read More

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: Schilling Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1931 by Lord Bishop of Adelaide Arthur Nutter.

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1927

Address: 304 Barkley Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

There are three St Mary's in Ararat. The first was dedicated by Fr Goold in 1868. The second was dedicated by Bishop Moore in 1889 while the third was dedicated in 1928 by Bishop Foley. The Immaculate Conception Parish Ararat was established in 1858 by Bishop James Alipius Goold OSA of Melbourne. In 1871 at the request of Fr Hogan a…

Read More

Ascot Vale, VIC Methodist (Former)

Ascot Vale, VIC Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1926

Address: 43 The Parade, , Ascot Vale Vicotira, 3032

In 1926 the Church building fund allowed for a tender to go out for a church to be built to seat 300 to 350 people at a cost of £4,000 including furnishings and fittings. A Foundation stone was laid on 18 September 1926 bt Mr .J. Cato who also gave a donation of £100 towards the funds. During the same year a block of land was purchased at…

Read More

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1938

Address: Hume Highway, , Balmattum Victoria, 3666

The Church is part of the the Benalla Presbyterian Parish since its inception, but at the time was knows as duck pond the name derived from a chain of water holes crossing the route of the Sydney Road. The first srvices were held in the school. The wooden church building was erected in 1878 and opeend on 6 October 1878 by Reverend Reid.…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Baptist

Balwyn, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1938

Address: 517 Whitehorse Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3127

The Church was opened at 3pm on April 30th 1938 by Mr C Harley of the Congregation and the service was conducted by the President of the Baptist Union Mr C.H. Book. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by G.W.Green Esq 13 November 1937. Rev E.R. Thorne, Pastor".

Read More

Barmedman, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian

Barmedman, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1926

Address: Main Street, , Barmedman New South Wales, 2668

The Foundation stone was laid on 20 October 1926 by John Stewart.

Read More

Barton, ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

Barton, ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1934

Address: Corner State Circle & Canberra Avenue, , Barton Australian Capital Territory, 2600

A sandstone Church in an adaptation of the Gothic Revival style. The side tower is square with a sandstone spire. The interior fills the usual sanctuary area and has fine joinery, particularly in the pulpit and screens. It contains many memorials of National importance. The Foundation stone was laid on 27 November 1929 by His Excellency…

Read More

Belair, SA - Uniting

Belair, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1928

Address: Sheoak Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 4 February 1928 by Mrs Arthur H. Gault.

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Bendigo, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1930

Address: 26 Myers St, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

A Foundation stone was laid by Mrs William Hunter on 22 March 1930. The Architects of the current Church were G.D. Garvin and C Eathorne. A stuccoed brick church of 1930, which is quite idiosyncratic in detail and gains its distinctive character from the eclectic and not entirely felicitous low relief cement decoration.

Read More

Bentleigh, VIC - St Raphael, Nicholas & Irene Greek Orthodox

Bentleigh, VIC - St Raphael, Nicholas & Irene Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1928

Address: 531 Centre Road, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 June 1928.

Read More

Bexley, NSW - Uniting

Bexley, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: 25 Gladstone Street, , Bexley New South Wales, 2207

There are two foundation stones laid at the Church. One was by Reverend H Wheen on 3 October 1925 and the second by T. A Johnston Esq also on 3 October 1925.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Bordertown, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1930

Address: Corner Smith & Patterson Streets, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

The beginnings of the church fall to the Hausler family who moved into the district in 1930. With no Lutheran church to speak of they encouraged the Victorian district of the UELCA to conduct services on a regular basis. Pastor E Sprengel of Mt Gambier conducted the first three services in the Hauser home which was located about 8 miles…

Read More

Bothwell, TAS - St Andrew's Catholic

Bothwell, TAS - St Andrew's Catholic

Year Built: 1939

Address: 19 Patrick Street, , Bothwell Tasmania, 7030

In 1864 Henry Hunter designed a stone church for Bothwell and later that year Bishop Wilson offered the first Mass. The church stood for seventy four years but because there were said to be problems with the foundations and the church was too small, John Goggin's was contracted in 1939 to build a new church using some of the original…

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - Baptist

Box Hill, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1926

Address: Corner Ellingworth & Station Street, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The Church was established in 1901. The Foundation stone was laid by R.A. Sutton Esq J.P. on 14 February 1926.

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Box Hill, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1926

Address: Corner Dorking & Whitehorse Roads, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The Foundation stone was laid by the most Reverend D Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne on 11 July 1926.

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - Wesley Uniting

Box Hill, VIC - Wesley Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Corner Oxford & Station Streets, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The first Wesleyan Methodist service was held in the Box Hill centre in the Barkly Hall, on 13th May 1883. Tenders were called for what is now known as Oxford Hall (formerly known as the The Methodist Church in Station Street and later The Station Street Church ) on 17th November 1885, and the foundation stone was laid on 11th February…

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Uniting

Bridgewater, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Address: 407 Mount Barker Road, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

Originally a Methodist Church. The foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1929 by Miss Carvosso.

Read More

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: 99 Main Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

A wooden church with an iron roof. It was built in 1931 and the chancel and first bay of the nave were dedicated the same year. The church was designed and built by local contractors and was dedicated by Bishop Hay on Sunday 19 July 1931. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. In Fid D.N.I.C. Apidis SVMM Anglvaris X1V KAL IVN A.D.…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Joan of Arch Catholic

Brighton, VIC - St Joan of Arch Catholic

Year Built: 1938

Address: 118 New Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 November 1938 by the Most Reverend D Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne. The Architect was P.J. O'Connor.

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Baptist

Camberwell, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1940

Address: 460 Riversdale Road, , Hawthorn East Victoria, 3123

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Rev E.C. Burleigh B.A. 9th September 1939. Architect H.E.L. Tranter Builder S Whitehead".

Read More

Caulfield South, VIC - Holy Cross Catholic

Caulfield South, VIC - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1937

Address: 707 Glenhuntly Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 May 1937 by the Most Reverend D. Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne. The Architect was O.H. Jorgensen.

Read More

Clarence Park, SA - Church of the Trinity Uniting

Clarence Park, SA - Church of the Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: 318 Goodwood Road, , Clarence Park South Australia, 5034

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1925 by Mrs Andrew Linn.

Read More

Como, WA - St Augustine's Anglican

Como, WA - St Augustine's Anglican

Year Built: 1935

Address: Park Street, , Como Western Australia, 6152

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 March 1935.

Read More

Coonalpyn, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Coonalpyn, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Year Built: 1929

Address: Dent Street, , Coonalpyn South Australia, 5265

The first Lutheran's to arrive in this district were in 1929. The first services were held in the old Institute on the west side of the railway line. Moves were made in 1946 and by May 1952 construction had begun. The Builders of the church were Mr Kevin Rohrlach and Mr Peter White. Built of limestone which came from Mr Zanker's and Mr…

Read More

Coonalpyn, SA - Uniting

Coonalpyn, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1921

Address: Western Highway, , Coonalpyn South Australia, 5265

Formerly a Congregational church the foundation stone was laid on 21 February 1921 by the Mr G.E. Venning.

Read More

Cootamundra, NSW - Uniting

Cootamundra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1936

Address: Cooper Street, , Cootamundra New South Wales, 2590

A Foundation stone attached to the current church was laid on 10 June 1936 by John Wilson McClintock. In the 1932 Jubilee Souvenir booklet of the Presbyterian Church, mention was made that the present church building was inadequate for the needs of the growing congregation, and the Board of Management had under review various schemes for…

Read More

Croxton, VIC - Uniting

Croxton, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Address: 326 St Georges Road, , Thornbury Victoria, 3071

There are two foundation stones. One reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Rev H. Stiles Heath B.A. President Methodist Conference July 27th 1929. E.C. Perkins Pastor. C.A. Hiscox Designer, Rev F.J. Jennnings Supt Minister, W Carwright Builder". The second foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was…

Read More

Cygnet, TAS - St James Catholic

Cygnet, TAS - St James Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 34 Mary Street, , Cygnet Tasmania, 7112

A Foundation stone attached to the building was laid on 18 February 1940 by his Grace the Archbishop of Hobart J.D. Simonds. The Church was opened on 6 October of the same year. The church was designed in the Moorish style.

Read More

Dalby, QLD - St John's Anglican

Dalby, QLD - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1922

Address: 153 Cunningham Street, , Dalby Queensland, 4405

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Honourable H.W.B. Forster of Lepe on 29 August 1922. St John's Church, Dalby is a brick church constructed in 1922-1923 to the design of Harry Marks and is the third church of this name on the site. The previous timber church, built in 1876, remained on the site in a modified form as part of a…

Read More

Dalby, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

Dalby, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1921

Address: Cunningham Street, , Dalby Queensland, 4405

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 May 1920 by the Most Reverend J. Duhig Archbishop of Brisbane. The Church was dedicated on 4 December 1921.

Read More

Darlington Point, NSW - St Oliver Plunkett's Catholic

Darlington Point, NSW - St Oliver Plunkett's Catholic

Year Built: 1925

Address: Hay Road, , Darlington Point New South Wales, 2027

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 November 1925 by the Right Reverend J.W. Dwyer Bishop of Wagga.

Read More

Darlington Point, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Darlington Point, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1923

Address: Carrington Street, , Darlington Point New South Wales, 2027

The Foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1923 by Ernest Augustus Anderson Bishop of Riverena.

Read More

Derrinallum, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Derrinallum, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1922

Address: Main Street, , Derrinallum Victoria, 3325

The Foundation stone was laid on 17 December 1922 by most Reverend Dr Foley Bishop of Ballarat.

Read More

Devonport, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Devonport, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1932

Address: 45 Steele Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310

The foundation stone was laid by Rev W.H.E. Abbey Circuit minister and Chairman of Mersey district June 27 1931. The current church building was opened on March 1932 . The Church was closed in 2018. This is now a Community Wellness centre. A Tasmanian, multi-faceted media production company.

Read More

Drouin, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Drouin, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1936

Address: 4 Frances Avenue, , Drouin Victoria, 3818

The original Christ Church was built in 1880 on land donated on cnr Grant St and Albert Road by Mrs Richard Higgs. It was dedicated on 18 January 1880 by Dean McCartney of Melbourne. In 1888, land was purchased in Main St Drouin. By 1906 a proposal to build a new church was made after the old church was in a bad state of repairs and…

Read More

East Ivanhoe, VIC - St George's Anglican

East Ivanhoe, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1929

Address: Warncliffe Road, , East Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

East Ivanhoe Anglican convened a meeting on 12 December 1929 in the home of Mr A Judd in Warnclifffe Road to form a committee to arrange for church services and Sunday school classes to be held in the new area. Land owned by Mt Bainbridge in Warncliffe Road was available for a church site and an assurance was given that, if the Diocese…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St Catherine's Greek Orthodox

East Malvern, VIC - St Catherine's Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1921

Address: 3 Epping Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

The Church was formerly the Peace Memorial Methodist Church. The Foundation stone was laid on 12 November 1921 by Reverend A.P. Bladen President of the Conference. Constructed of red brick with cement tracery, and built in 1921-2. Comprises a broad nave, aisle, chancel, vestries and imposing facade incorporating a deeply overhanging arch…

Read More

Elwood, VIC - Presbyterian

Elwood, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1939

Address: Corner Scot & Tennyson Streets, , Elwood Victoria, 3184

The Foundation stone was laid on 10 December 1938 by the Lord Mayor of Melbourne Councillor Arthur W. Coles J.P.

Read More

Epping Forrest, TAS - Unknown

Epping Forrest, TAS - Unknown

Year Built: 1924

Address: Midland Highway, , Epping Forrest Tasmania, 7211

A Foundation stone reads, "A.M.D.G. JD Foster 1924". The church is now in private hands.

Read More