Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Tasmania


Fern Tree, TAS - St Raphael's Anglican

Fern Tree, TAS - St Raphael's Anglican

Year Built: 1893

Address: 725 Huon Road, , Fern Tree Tasmania, 7054

In 1890 services at Fern Tree were being held in private homes and in the Inn. But in 1892 the foundation stone was laid and this Gothic style wooden church. The architect was Alan Walker and the cost was £447. It was consecrated in February 1893 and although surrounded by trees and bushes this church has survived two major bush fires.…

Read More

Fingal, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Fingal, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1880

Address: 10 Gray Street, , Fingal Tasmania, 7214

Sighted on the highest vantage point of the township, the church stands out as a prominent feature and reminder of the wealth of our local history. Taking three years to complete the building was constructed by local Michael Lattin following the design of Henry Hunter. During this time the Catholic Church used the Commandant's cottage as…

Read More

Fingal, TAS - St Peter's Anglican (Former)

Fingal, TAS - St Peter's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1868

Address: 2 Talbot Street, , Fingal Tasmania, 7214

On March 7th, 1867, Archdeacon Reibey of Entally laid the foundation stone of this beautiful little Church. The building was expected to cost £1,300, and there were eleven acres of land attached to it as a reserve, as well as five acres for a cemetery. The clergyman of the parish was the Revd. John Chambers of Cullenswood, who used to…

Read More

Fingal, TAS - Uniting

Fingal, TAS - Uniting

Address: Grant Street, , Fingal Tasmania, 7214

A small wooden structure constructed on a stone base. There is a bell - cote on the iron gabled roof. Services were first conducted in Fingal in October 1876. It was not until 1879 that plans were drawn up for the construction of a permanent building. The Foundation stone was laid in 1881. The first Sunday School was held October 1885…

Read More

Forest, TAS - St Bartholomews Anglican

Forest, TAS - St Bartholomews Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 506 Mengah Road, , Forest Tasmania, 7330

Read More

Franklin, TAS - St John's Anglican

Franklin, TAS - St John's Anglican

Address: Huon Highway, Franklin, Tasmania, 7113

Read More

Franklin, TAS - St Mary's Catholic

Franklin, TAS - St Mary's Catholic

Address: Huon Highway, Franklin, Tasmania, 7113

The parish of Franklin amalgamated with Cygnet in 2002. The Church was closed in 2013.

Read More

Franklin, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Franklin, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Address: 3406 Huon Highway, , Franklin Tasmania, 7113

Records show that the cause in this centre was established prior to 1859 and that a Sunday-school Home Mission Station. During 1879 the Longley church was attached to the Franklin Home Mission station. In 1902 the Rev. F. Delbridge was appointed to the Franklin Circuit.

Read More

Geeveston, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Geeveston, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 4690 Huon Highway, Geeveston, Tasmania, 7116

The Church was established in 1864.

Read More

Geeveston, TAS- Community

Geeveston, TAS- Community

Address: 4886 Huon Highway, , Geeveston Tasmania, 7116

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

George Town, TAS - All Saints Anglican

George Town, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Address: 3 Anne Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

The Original church was Saint Mary Magdalene's. The present Anglican Church is believed to be the fourth one. A chapel was erected in 1832, and used by visiting clergy from Launceston. This was replaced in 1838, and in 1841 the first resident priest was appointed, who was the Revd. J. Walker. Records of sacramental administrations go…

Read More

George Town, TAS - Baptist

George Town, TAS - Baptist

Address: 48 Goulburn Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

Founded in 1958.

Read More

George Town, TAS - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

George Town, TAS - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1978

Address: 35 Goulburn Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

A small band of soldiers and a handful of convicts formed the congregation at George Town's first Mass, celebrated on June 1, 1821, by Tasmania's pioneer priest, Father Philip Conolly. For a century and a half, the little holiday town seemed lazily quiescent, only to come alive at holiday time when a horde of sun-worshippers from…

Read More

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 101 Macquarie Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

A Foundation stone reads," To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Right Reverend Allan Martin Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Tasmania 22nd June 1958".

Read More

Glengarry, TAS - St Canice's Catholic

Glengarry, TAS - St Canice's Catholic

Year Built: 1894

Address: 33 Glengarry Road, , Glengarry Tasmania, 7275

The Church was built by pioneer Catholics in the district in 1894, and was served from Westbury until 1986. Daniel Burke who helped the Irish exiles at Westbury and became warden of the municipality, presented and address to the Archbishop at the opening of the church in 1894. The Church is a weatherboard building capable of seating…

Read More

Glenorchy, TAS - St John's Catholic

Glenorchy, TAS - St John's Catholic

Address: 62 Bowden Street, , Glenorchy Tasmania, 7010

On 25th May 1858, four years after Glenorchy was declared a Municipality, the foundation stone of a church to be dedicated to St John the Baptist, was blessed. In March of the following year, the small sandstone, Pugin style church, designed by architect, Henry Hunter, and situated on the corner of the Main Road and what is now Grove…

Read More

Glenorchy, TAS - Uniting

Glenorchy, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1910

Address: 446 Main Road, , Glenorchy Tasmania, 7010

The first Methodist church at Glenorchy opened in 1831 at O’Brien’s Bridge. The foundation stone of the current church was laid on 16 April 1910 by John Hallam Esq.

Read More

Gretna, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Gretna, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1848

Address: 31 Church Road, , Gretna Tasmania, 7140

Gretna was called Stoney Hut Plains and later The Woolpack after the Inn. The Church was consecrated by Bishop Nixon on June 1st 1848 and the Minister and Chaplain of Macquarie Plains at the time was the Rev. William Tancred. Other clergy at the consecration were the Archdeacon Marriott and Rev. G. Wright, of Hamilton. At the service…

Read More

Hagley, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Hagley, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1862

Address: Church Lane, , Hagley Tasmania, 7292

St Mary's Anglican Church is a bluestone Gothic Revival building that opened for services in 1862. The lands and a significant part of the church's funds were donated by Sir Richard Dry and later by his wife in her will.. Anglican services were first held in Hagley in a small brick church in the village which was the combined gift of…

Read More

Hagley, TAS - Uniting

Hagley, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: 75 Meander Road, , Hagley Tasmania, 7292

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Reverend C.L. Turner B.A. Superintendent Minister 6th April 1957".

Read More

Hamilton, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Hamilton, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 15 Ponsonby Street, , Hamilton Tasmania, 7140

The pamphlet in part reads, The construction of a church at Hamilton came as the direct result of concern felt by those who had settled within a wide area, namely from Gretna to Ousebridge. The first meeting was arranged for 26th September 1831, and the formation of a Building Committee was instituted, with David Burn, the dramatist…

Read More

Hillcrest, TAS - Anglican (Former)

Hillcrest, TAS - Anglican (Former)

Address: 2 Payne Street, , Hillcrest Tasmania,

A Foundation stone reads, "A.M.D.G. This stone was laid by Ven Archdeacon Walters 15.3.1953". The church has closed and is now used as storage for a local Theatre Company.

Read More

Hobart South, TAS - All Saint's Anglican

Hobart South, TAS - All Saint's Anglican

Address: 343 Macquarie Street South, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The foundation stone was laid on 2 December 1858, and the building was opened for worship on 18 August in the year following. It was a condition of the contract that the Rector lead the workmen in prayers before the start of each day's work. The side-aisle and chapel were added in 1863 and the vestries in 1895. The Architect was Henry…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Baptist

Hobart, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1889

Address: 284 Elizabeth Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The original Tabernacle on this site was constructed in 1883 and took just six days. It was cobbled together from packing cases, old timber and tin with salvaged iron beams as supports. In 1884 the foundation stone was laid for a new building to be used as a church. Later it became tine Sunday School when the larger Tabernacle was…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Hobart City Church of Christ

Hobart, TAS - Hobart City Church of Christ

Address: 4 Goulburn Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

First service was held on January 10th 1872, arranged by Brother Oliver A. Carr, and originally met in the Harrington Street Baptist Chapel. In 1866, they moved to their purpose built home in the ‘Christians Chapel’ in Collins Street, Hobart – where they worshipped and served the growing central business district of Hobart for more…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Scot's Memorial Uniting

Hobart, TAS - Scot's Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1834

Address: 29 Bathurst Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The Church was built between 1834 and 1836 and the architect was J.E. Addison. The brick constructed hall was built in 1824 and was the original St Andrew's Presbyterian church and is the oldest Presbyterian church in Australia. It features a central tower-like parapet and four small spires. The church was lengthened by 6m in 1860 to…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St David's Anglican Cathedral

Hobart, TAS - St David's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1868

Address: Macquarie Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

On 17 January 1862 St David's Cathedral and land on the corner of Murray and Macquarie Streets, Hobart was granted by the Crown to the Trustees of the Diocese of Tasmania. The original church on this site is dated from 1817. The Church was named in memory of Governor David Collins who established Hobart in 1804. It was completed in…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St David's Mission Anglican

Hobart, TAS - St David's Mission Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 7 Campbell Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The foundation stone of St. David’s Mission chapel was laid on the 24th of November 1884 by the Bishop of Tasmania, Rev. Dr. Daniel Fox Sandford. The design of the church was entrusted to Mr H Hunter, architect of Macquarie Street who prepared plans for a building to cost £1,500. In basic Gothic style and built of brick with stone…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St George's Greek Orthodox

Hobart, TAS - St George's Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1957

Address: 5 Antill Street, , Hobart South Tasmania, 7004

A Foundation stone reads, " The Foundation stone of this Greek Orthodox Church was laid by The Honourable Consul for Greece T.T. Rogers O.B.E. J.P. on 25. 3. 1957".

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St John the Baptist Anglican (former)

Hobart, TAS - St John the Baptist Anglican (former)

Year Built: 1852

Address: Corner Goulburn & Forest Road, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

This former church is now a set of private residences. A modest stone church in Gothic-Revival style set on irregular corner site, the major aspect of the building reveals an unusual occurrence in Gothic design - the building is visually very heavy, the result of a naturally steep site and creating a level across the contours. The…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St John's Presbyterian

Hobart, TAS - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1843

Address: 188 Macquarie Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

A stone church in non-conformist neo-classical style. THE first service in Hobart was conducted by an ordained Presbyterian minister was in 1823 at the corner of Macquarie and Murray streets, and the first Presbyterian church was built at Bathurst Street. In 1840 a building committee was formed with ex-convict, architect James Thomson…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Hobart, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1841

Address: 165 Macquarie Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

A sandstone church built in Gothic style. Has a Nave with featured stonework to arched openings and pilasters to side walls. The church was built in 1841 and opened by Father Therry on Christmas morning 1841. It was designed by James Thomson, a former convict with convict labour employed to carry out the work. The tower is 60 feet…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Uniting

Hobart, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1870

Address: Brisbane Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

Formerly a Congregational Church. It was built in 1870 and rebuilt in 1936 & enlarged in 1939. The congregation of this church first met in 1836 in the small Beraea Chapel in Liverpool Street, which has since been demolished. In 1837 a new church was built in lower Collins Street. By the 1850s this proved too small to meet the…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Wesley Uniting

Hobart, TAS - Wesley Uniting

Year Built: 1837

Address: 56 Melville Street, Hobart, Hobart Tasmania, 7000

On 29 October 1820 a Class meeting was held under the sponsorship of laymen Benjamin Nokes and George Waddy. The continuity of Wesleyan Methodism in Hobart is dated from this occasion. On 12th February 1821 the first meeting in the Argyle Street chapel was held. This building was a rented carpenter's shop owned by one Charles Donn. The…

Read More

Hobart, TAS St Mary's Catholic Cathedral

Hobart, TAS St Mary's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1898

Address: 180 Harrington Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

St Mary’s Cathedral was the vision of the first Bishop of Hobart Town, Robert William Willson. Bishop Willson chose the design and spent years raising the funds. Designed by William Wardell, one of Australia’s greatest nineteenth-century architects, it was completed except for its steeple between 1876 and 1898 to a modified design by…

Read More

Howrah, TAS - Church of Christ

Howrah, TAS - Church of Christ

Address: 347 Rokeby Road, , Howrah Tasmania, 7018

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Howrah, TAS - St Thomas' Anglican

Howrah, TAS - St Thomas' Anglican

Address: Lorne Crescent, , Howrah Tasmania, 7018

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Huonville, TAS- Church of Christ Community

Huonville, TAS- Church of Christ Community

Year Built: 1965

Address: 81 Main Street, , Huonville Tasmania, 7109

A Foundation stone reads, : Huonville, Memorial Congregational Church opened and dedicated to the Glory of God on June 27th 1965 by Ref Harold James Ralph. Thy faithfulness in unto all generations. Psalm 118 - 90".

Read More

Invermay, TAS - Praise Methodist

Invermay, TAS - Praise Methodist

Year Built: 1925

Address: 100 Invermay Road, , Invermay Tasmania, 7248

Formerly an Anglican Church. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Mrs Charles Kent June 20th 1925".

Read More

Invermay, TAS - St Finn Barr's Catholic

Invermay, TAS - St Finn Barr's Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 122 Invermay Road, , Invermay Tasmania, 7248

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was blessed and laid by his race the Most Rev E.V. Tweedy D.D. Archbishop of Hobart on 14th February 1954 W.T. Ryan Parish Priest". A second stone on a brick post reads, " These status were erected by parishioners of St Finn Barrs parish to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of the Parish Priest…

Read More