Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1871 and 1880


Crafers, SA - Church of the Epiphany Anglican

Crafers, SA - Church of the Epiphany Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: Epiphany Place, , Crafers South Australia, 5152

The Church was built in 1878 on land donated by Henry Scott. It has a splendid music tradition, a lively choir and one of the finest pipe-organs in South Australia. Two Foundation stones on the northern wall commemorate the extensions, 11.11.1893, laid by Mrs Henry Scott (nee Emily Gooch), wife of Mr Scott M.P. of Goode How (later…

Read More

Creswick, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Creswick, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1872

Address: 117 Napier Street, , Creswick Victoria, 3363

Creswick Catholics were served first by priests who came form Ballarat when Ballarat itself was still part of Coburg parish. The first traceable ref isa newspaper note in 1855 was that Father Patrick Madden celebrated Mass at Creswick Creek on March 8, in the new store of Messrs. Carter and Walker. Father assisting Fr. Smyth. The latter…

Read More

Cudal, NSW - St Columbanus' Catholic

Cudal, NSW - St Columbanus' Catholic

Year Built: 1880

Address: 42 Main Street, , Cudal New South Wales, 2864

Read More

Curramulka, SA - St Christopher's Anglican

Curramulka, SA - St Christopher's Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: 10 Dans Road, , Curramulka South Australia, 5580

Curramulka came under the care of the SYP missioners in 1878 and Reverend W F Marshall, who lived at Edithburgh visited the area on several occasion's. These and other services were conducted in the school, the institute or peoples homes. In 1910 Mr Talbot donated land for a church, and by 1914 the church was built. It was dedicated for…

Read More

Currawang, NSW - St Matthias Catholic

Currawang, NSW - St Matthias Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: 2535 Currawang Road, , Currawang New South Wales, 2580

A plaque reads, "The porch gate was designed & built by Andrew Rowlands in memory of his father Graham Richard Rowlands and his grandfather Roy Richard Rowlands this plaque was dedicated on Wednesday, 27 February 2000 St Matthias' Currawang 125th anniversary"

Read More

Cygnet, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Cygnet, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: George Street, , Cygnet Tasmania, 7112

The church building was begun in 1874, opened in 1875 and dedicatcd in 1876 at a cost of 1,208, Additions were made in October 1894 and the church consecrated. Further additions were made in 1913, and in April 1918 a new vestry was dedicated as a memorial to the Lymington church which had been destroyed by fire. A Foundation stone was…

Read More

Deloraine, TAS - Baptist

Deloraine, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1880

Address: 3 Bonney Street, , Deloraine Tasmania, 7304

According to the book William and Mary Ann Gibson by Greg Luxford apparently William Gibson donated the sale proceeds of one of his Ram's at the Royal Melbourne Show to fund the building of the Tabernacle. That figure was £1,000. The family also paid for the building of stables and allegedly a manse. They also paid for the Ministers…

Read More

Denman, NSW - St Matthias Anglican

Denman, NSW - St Matthias Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: 50 Palace Street, , Denman New South Wales, 2328

The name Denman was gazetted in 1855, named after Lord Denman, who was later to become the 5th Governor General of Australia in 1911-1914. Lieutenant William Ogilvie was the first European settler in 1825. The first settlement was known as Merton which was located on the opposite side of the Hunter River to the present-day Denman and was…

Read More

Denman, NSW - St Matthias Anglican

Denman, NSW - St Matthias Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: 50 Palace Street, , Denman New South Wales, 2328

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This Centenary stone was blessed on 2-11-1975 by Ian Ninth Bishop of Newcastle to commemorate the consecration of this Church 4-11-1875 and the formation of the Parish of Denman 1-1-1876 J.H. West Th L Rector".

Read More

Dingley, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Dingley, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1873

Address: 387 Old Dandenong Road, , Dingley Victoria, 3172

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by The Revd J.H. Gregory 12th February 1873". A Plaque near the church entrance reads, The Church was built by the generosity and vision of Mary Attenborough. Mary and her brother Thomas migrated to Australia from Dingley, Northamptonshire, England in 1853 Mary was a lady of strong and…

Read More

Donald, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Donald, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1872

Address: Corner Woods & Blair Streets, , Donald Victoria, 3480

The first St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was built in 1872. The current church was opened in 1925. It seats 300.

Read More

Doreen, VIC - Hazelglen Uniting (Former)

Doreen, VIC - Hazelglen Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1872

Address: Corner Yan Yean & Chapel Road, , Doreen Victoria, 3754

The land upon which the Hazelgen Uniting Church, Mernda Parish, stands was purchased from Henry Walker for 10 shillings. The church was built in 1872. The church was built during the ministry of Wesleyan Minister, the Rev. Charles Dubourg, who also oversaw the erection of churches at Thomastown, Whittlesea and Wollert. It replaced a…

Read More

Drysdale, VIC - St James' Anglican

Drysdale, VIC - St James' Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 43 Collins Street, , Drysdale Victoria, 3222

The Foundation stone was laid by Bishop Perry. The actual foundations of the church were completed on 18 November 1871 and construction was completed the following year.

Read More

Eaglehawk, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Eaglehawk, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: 63 High Street, , Eaglehawk Victoria, 3556

The Church replaced an earlier stone building opened in 1863. It was designed by vestryman H.E. Tolhurst and opened in 1874.

Read More

East Devonport, VIC _ St Paul's Anglican

East Devonport, VIC _ St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: 15 Thomas Street, , East Devonport Tasmania, 7319

The Church was built between 1876-79 at a cost of £425 to the design of architect William Gadsby. It was opened in July 1879. A Foundation stone reads, " The Foundation stone reads thus, Church of St Paul foundation stone laid 13th December 1876 Consecrated March 1882 Rev G.F. (?Archer) Incumbent". An arson attack occurred in 2001…

Read More

East Melbourne, Protestant

East Melbourne, Protestant

Year Built: 1872

Address: 4 Morrison Place, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

A Church built for the Trustees of the Swedenborgian Church. Built in 1872, to the design of Lloyd Tayler the gothic-style bluestone residence was once home to the New Temple Church. The main facade embraces a Decorated Gothic window of three lights flanked by buttresses, with a projecting porch. Was a store room for the Eye and Ear…

Read More

Elmore, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Elmore, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1877

Address: 44 Michie Street, , Elmore Victoria, 3558

The Church is of Gothic style. Consecreation of the church took place on December 31 1922 when the Lord Bishop of the Diocese the Right Reverend Dr Baker declared the new parish. The Church was erected in 1877 and was Consecrated on 31/12/22. The first Vicarage (later the Rectory) was built in 1893, at a cost of £400/-/-. The Parish…

Read More

Eltham, VIC - Uniting

Eltham, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1880

Address: Corner John Street & Main Road, , Eltham Victoria, 3095

The Eltham Wesleyan Methodist began meeting in the home of Mr. Taylor in Mt. Pleasant Road in 1850 and in other houses including the postmaster’s slab hut in Henry St. In 1860 the first church was built in the same street and then 1880 the present church was built on the corner of John St and Main Rd, then called Maria Street. This…

Read More

Evandale, TAS - St Andrew's Anglican

Evandale, TAS - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 6 High Street, , Evandale Tasmania, 7212

The earliest services were held in a barn and the first schoolroom chapel of brick was built in 1837. in 1931 the Bishop's charge notes Evandale was given the old St. David's font, which was made at Port Arthur. The second church was begun in 1841 and dedicated in April 1844. It was pulled down in 1871. The third and present church…

Read More

Fingal, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Fingal, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1880

Address: 10 Gray Street, , Fingal Tasmania, 7214

Sighted on the highest vantage point of the township, the church stands out as a prominent feature and reminder of the wealth of our local history. Taking three years to complete the building was constructed by local Michael Lattin following the design of Henry Hunter. During this time the Catholic Church used the Commandant's cottage as…

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St Lawrence O'Toole Catholic

Forbes, NSW - St Lawrence O'Toole Catholic

Year Built: 1880

Address: 13 Johnson Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

There were two church buildings erected before the current one. The first was located in Camp street and the second was in Harold Street. Of Gothic Revival style the church was erected in 1880. The Architect was Edward Gell. A sanctuary was added in 1905 and a gallery in 1923.

Read More

Freemantle, WA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Freemantle, WA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: Adelaide Street, , Freemantle Western Australia, 2795

The church was built in 1879-82 to the design of London architect William Smith.

Read More

Gerringong, NSW - St George's Anglican

Gerringong, NSW - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: 103 Fern Street, , Gerringong New South Wales, 2534

The first Church built by George and Henry Gray in 1855, occupied the site where the present building now stands, and was constructed of timber slabs. The cost of the building was £200, secured by voluntary contributions, and it accommodated 200 worshippers. Divine Service appears to have been conducted there from September 30, 1855,…

Read More

Gisborne, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Gisborne, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1871

Address: Fisher Street, , Gisborne Victoria, 3437

The present church was opened in August 1871 after the first church proved to be too small, coinciding with the opening of the new Catholic church. The noted architect, Lloyd Tayler, had called tenders for the erection of a Presbyterian Church at Gisborne at the end of 1870. The cost was £1350. The Manse was build in 1908 and sold in…

Read More

Glebe, NSW - St James' Catholic

Glebe, NSW - St James' Catholic

Year Built: 1878

Address: 2 Woolley Street, , Glebe New South Wales, 2037

The Foundation stone was laid on 7 July 1877 by Archbishop Roger Bede Vaughan. By 1 September 1878, the church of St James, built in the Venetian Gothic style of Pyrmont stone and New Zealand kauri pine and glowing with stained glass, marble, majolica painted tiles, was ready and formally opened. The Architect was John Kirkpatrick.

Read More

Glenelg, SA - St Andrews Uniting

Glenelg, SA - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1879

Address: 92 Jetty Road, , Glenelg South Australia, 5045

The first church was built in Gordon Street and the builder was Mr J.J. Moseley. The second church was built in Jetty Road and the foundation stone was laid on 18 April 1859. The Architect was Mr James MacGeorge and built by Messrs Lines and Cook. The third and current church was built and the foundation stone for this building was laid…

Read More

Goodna, QLD - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Goodna, QLD - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1880

Address: 6 Church Street, , Goodna Queensland, 4300

The foundation stone for St Patrick's (as it was originally called) was laid on Sunday 15 August 1880 by Bishop of Brisbane James Quinn. The church was opened in Sunday 1 May 1881 by Bishop Quinn. Local stone came from a nearby quarry, believed to be in Stuart Street with parishioners carting the stone to the site as voluntary work.…

Read More

Gordon, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Gordon, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1873

Address: 754 Pacific Highway, , Gordon New South Wales, 2072

The foundation stone was laid on 26 October 26 1872. A wall plaque reads, " St John's Historical Precinct This site is the religious and educational centre of Ku-ring-gal. Significant dates are: 1816 First church/school established 1867 First burials in cemetery 1872 Dedication of the original Church of St John the Evangelist, designed…

Read More

Gordon, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Gordon, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: Corner Old Melbourne & Carey Road, , Gordon Victoria, 3345

St. Patrick's Parish, was established in 1875 and incorporates a church and school in each of Ballan, Gordon and Springbank. The land and a sum of one hundred and £90 for the stonework, nave, porch and tower was donated by Ryan brothers of Millbrook. The Architect was Henry R Caselli of Ballarat, the builders, Jenkin and Lewis. The…

Read More

Grange, SA - Baptist

Grange, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1880

Address: Beach Street, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The Foundation stone was laid on 9 November 1880 by Mrs C Fowler.

Read More

Grenfell, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Grenfell, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1877

Address: Middle Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

The first church was a wooden structure built in 1867 and located at the corner of Forbes and Middle Street. By 1877 tenders were called for a new church and the foundation stone was laid on 24 May. A further foundation stone replaced the original one on 26 January 1878 and laid by Mr J.B. Wood. The architect was John Kirkpatrick. The…

Read More

Gulgong, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Gulgong, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1876

Address: 64 Bayly Street, , Gulgong New South Wales, 2852

A Romanesque, Gothic revival church designed by noted colonial architect Edmund Thomas Blacket. The bell tower is of wood with the bell surrounded by lattice work. It was built out of local stone at a cost of £650 in 1876. Built of rubble stone with brick facings, the dimensions being 80 feet long by a breadth of 37 feet, 13 feet walls,…

Read More

Gundaroo, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Gundaroo, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: Cork Street, , Gundaroo New South Wales, 2620

The Church uses the former Court of Petty Sessions built in 1874.

Read More

Gunning, NSW - Uniting

Gunning, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1876

Address: Waratah Street, , Gunning New South Wales, 2581

The first Church was erected in 1849 and as was 28ft x 18ft. The next Church was opened in 1876 by A Crundwell. The first Parsonage was erected in 1853 having only 2 rooms. The second Parsonage was purchased in Waratah in 1868.

Read More

Hamley Bridge, SA - Uniting (Former)

Hamley Bridge, SA - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1874

Address: 18 Gilbert Street, , Hamley Bridge South Australia, 5401

The Church was put up for sale in 2023.

Read More

Hunters Hill, NSW - Life Congregtional

Hunters Hill, NSW - Life Congregtional

Year Built: 1878

Address: 20 Alexander Street, , Hunters Hill New South Wales, 2110

The Church held its first service in November 1876. The building, predominantly of sandstone, was completed in 1878 by builder Antonio Bondietti, an immigrant from Switzerland. Its architect was Albert Bond. A metal plaque on the stone fence reads, " In memorium William C. Howard a Deacon for many years OBIT Jan 26th 1932".

Read More

Inverell, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Inverell, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1878

Address: 94 Vivian Street, , Inverell New South Wales, 2360

In the beginning, services were conducted in the home of Mr. Colin Ross until 1857. This continued for a mere three years until a move was made to build a church on a Crown grant of 1 acre 3 roods 32 perches, Suburban allotment 6, dated 24th August, 1859. This is the date of the Title Deed but the actual building commenced earlier. This…

Read More

Jamberoo, NSW - St Matthew's Catholic

Jamberoo, NSW - St Matthew's Catholic

Year Built: 1879

Address: 22 Chapel Lane, , Jamberoo New South Wales, 2533

The first Church was erected in 1839 on land donated by the O'Mara family. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 November 1875 by Bishop Vaughan. The church was blessed and opened on 7 September 1879 by Archbishop Roger Vaughan.

Read More

Jamberoo, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian (Former)

Jamberoo, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1875

Address: 2 Allowrie Street, , Jamberoo New South Wales, 2533

The Church was designed by John Colley and built in 1875 by John and James Marks, D. L. Dymock and W. Stewart. The church building was sold in 2009. Services were initially conducted in Dr. Menzies' barn by the Rev. John Tait, MA, the first minister of the Church of Scotland in Illawarra. The Church was opened and dedicated in the…

Read More

Jamberoo, NSW - Uniting

Jamberoo, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1879

Address: 11 Wyalla Street, , Jamberoo New South Wales, 2533

A plaque on the Church wall reads, " This building was originally erected in 1879 as a Wesleyan Chapel and became the Methodist Church in 1902 joining the Uniting Church in Australia in 1977".

Read More