Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

State: South Australia


Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: 170 Flinders Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5011

The beginnings of the Church can be traced to 1860 when about six families withdrew membership from Pastor Borgelt's Klemzig congregation on scriptural and confessional grounds. With several families who had been members of the Trinity congregation, as well as a number of others who were not affiliated with any group, they formed the…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Cathedral of Archangels Michael and Gabriel Greek Orthodox

Adelaide, SA - Cathedral of Archangels Michael and Gabriel Greek Orthodox

Address: 286 Franklin Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

The Church is circular in plan, with an inner circle forming the gallery and an arc forming the Sanctuary. It is a reinforced concrete structure with brick walls which allows a band of windows at the base of the Dome. The roof is covered with sheet copper. The freestanding Bell Tower was constructed under a later contract.

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Adelaide, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1838

Address: North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

The first Foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1838 by the Governor of South Australia Governor Hindmarsh. A subsequent Foundation stone was laid on 7 May 1887 by George Mayo F.R.C.S England. This is the first church in South Australia. The original structure was built 1838, rebuilt and enlarged 1844-45 rebuilt again in 1888 (raised…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Pilgrim Uniting

Adelaide, SA - Pilgrim Uniting

Year Built: 1867

Address: 12 Flinders Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

Pilgrim Church traces its roots back to Adelaides early Wesleyans and Congregationalists. A Wesleyan chapel in Pirie Street was opened in 1851 and became known as the Pirie Street Methodist Church. Stow Memorial Congregational Church, in Flinders Street, was dedicated in 1867. The two churches were back-to-back and were divided by a high…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Scots Uniting

Adelaide, SA - Scots Uniting

Year Built: 1851

Address: 237 North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

Scots Church Adelaide was originally called Chalmers Free Church. It was built by a group of Presbyterians who supported the Free Church of Scotland. They called Reverend John Gardner from Scotland to establish a church in South Australia. He arrived in Adelaide in March 1850 and immediately set about purchasing the land on the corner of…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1851

Address: 33 Wakefield Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

Built progressively, from the laying of the original foundation in 1851 to the completion of the bell-tower in 1996, this cathedral is considered a major Australian work of the Gothic Revival style. It is linked with a number of designers and builders, including the eminent English architects Charles Francis Hansom and Peter Paul Pugin.…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1839

Address: 14 St John Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

The land on which the church is built was donated by Osmond Gillies to the Church of England. The Foundation stone was laid on 19 October 1839 by Lieutenant Colonel George Gawler, Governor of the Province. The church was opened on Sunday, 24th October, 1841 by the Rev C.B. Howard assisted by the Rev Jas. Farrell. In 1886 the original…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1855

Address: 21 Whitmore Square, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

The Church is one of the most significant in Adelaide. The first part of it was built in 1855. It remains one of the earliest Anglican Churches in Adelaide. Divine Service appears to have been first conducted in a Schoolroom in Hobson's Place, between Sturt and Wright Streets. In December, 181-)3, a meeting was held in Hole Trinity…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Mary Magdalene Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St Mary Magdalene Anglican

Year Built: 1841

Address: 26 Moore Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

1841 - 1846 One of the oldest buildings in South Australia, the church was originally built in 1841 on the site on which St John's, Halifax Street now stands where it was commonly known as "St John's in the Wilderness" for its remoteness from the busier northern part of Adelaide. The church was poorly built, for it was condemned and its…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: 261 Grote Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

After the original church, that was located in West Terrace became too small it was decided to build a new one in Grote St. The Foundation stone was laid in November 1912 and the building was completed in 1914. Constructed of stone and brick, St Patrick's is Classical-neo Baroque in style, based on a Brunelleschi composition.…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Stephen's Lutheran

Adelaide, SA - St Stephen's Lutheran

Year Built: 1848

Address: 152 Wakefield Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

The original congregation of this church was formed in Klemzig in 1848. They remained there iuntil 1862 when their first church was built in Pirie Street. The congregation increased again in size and it was at this point St Stephen's was built. Designed by Architects Williams and Good the church is of Gothic Revival style. The Church…

Read More

Alberton, SA - Anglican

Alberton, SA - Anglican

Address: 88 Port Road, Alberton, South Australia, 5014

Read More

Alberton, SA - Trinity Uniting

Alberton, SA - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1880

Address: Station Place, Alberton, South Australia, 5014

The Foundation stone was laid by J Formby Esq on 6 April 1880.

Read More

Aldgate, SA - Church of Christ

Aldgate, SA - Church of Christ

Address: 54 Strathalbyn Road, Adelaide, Aldgate South Australia, 5154

Read More

Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Address: 4 Arkaba Road, Adelaide, Aldgate South Australia, 5154

Read More

Aldgate, SA - Sunset Rock Uniting

Aldgate, SA - Sunset Rock Uniting

Address: Sherlaw Avenue, Adelaide, Aldgate South Australia, 5154

Read More

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: Main South Road, Aldinga, South Australia, 5173

In 1866 residents of Aldinga called a meeting to consider the advisability of erecting a Church. An acre of land was presented by the South Australian Company and the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Short. Total cost was 785 pounds. Building opened for service by Dean Farrell and was consecrated. The Church is a simple stone chapel…

Read More

Aldinga, SA - Uniting

Aldinga, SA - Uniting

Address: Old Coach Road, Aldinga, South Australia, 5173

Read More

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: Schilling Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1931 by Lord Bishop of Adelaide Arthur Nutter.

Read More

Angaston, SA - Uniting

Angaston, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1861

Address: Corner Fyfe & Sturt Street, Angaston, South Australia, 5353

Formerly a Congregational church the first church was a red brick chapel built in 1861 at the rear of the current church. The foundation stone of this church was laid by Mr J H Angas Esq J.P. on 13 May 1878. It cost 2162.00. It is of Gothic Revival style with bluestone walls and rendered dressings. The leadlight windows were shipped from…

Read More

Angaston, SA - Zion Lutheran

Angaston, SA - Zion Lutheran

Year Built: 1861

Address: 85 Murray Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

The Church was originally built for joint use however by 1861 there was a divide and only the Baptists kept using it until 1929. For the next 12 years it was used by building contractor G.N. Dallwitz. A Lutheran Church had been built in Hill street but when that was destroyed by fire in 1941 Dallwitz offered this building to the…

Read More

Ardrossan, SA - Uniting

Ardrossan, SA - Uniting

Address: 22 Fourth Street, Ardrossan, South Australia, 5571

Read More

Ashbourne, SA - Uniting

Ashbourne, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1891

Address: Main Road, Ashbourne, South Australia, 5157

The Church was formerly a Wesleyan Methodist church. It was built in 1891.

Read More

Auburn, SA - Our Lady of Peace Catholic

Auburn, SA - Our Lady of Peace Catholic

Year Built: 1866

Address: Elder Street, Auburn, South Australia, 5451

A former Wesleyan church this Gothic Revival church was built in 1866 by Joseph Meller and Scott. Constructed from Auburn bluestone it has symbolic pillars capped with open bible design, stone cuts with fine lines. The building was later used as a Sunday School when the Wesleyans and Methodists merged until it was sold to the Catholic…

Read More

Auburn, SA - St John's Anglican

Auburn, SA - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1862

Address: 17 St Vincent Street, Auburn, South Australia, 5451

A Gothic Revival church constructed form Auburn bluestone with quoins and dressings of Watervale sandstone it was built by Pike and Dale in 1862. Joseph Meller and James Scott cut the stone and Joseph Jones was one of the stone masons employed on this project. The roof is of Welsh slate while the steps are of Mintaro slate. The Hall was…

Read More

Auburn, SA - St John's Lutheran

Auburn, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: Curling Street, , Auburn South Australia, 5451

The Church was formerly a primitive Methodist church. Made of stone with bluestone quoins and dressings it was built by Joseph Meller in 1869 on part of an Aboriginal corroboree ground. After church union it was used as a Sunday school then sold in 1889 to the Orange Lodge a protestant group of Irish background. Purchased in 1927 by…

Read More

Auburn, SA - Uniting

Auburn, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1861

Address: Main North Road, Auburn, South Australia, 5451

Opened in 1861 this former Bible Christian Chapel was built by Joseph Meller. The building is of Auburn bluestone and Watervale sandstone. William Threadgold was the carpenter. The first services were holed in a blacksmiths shop in 1850. The Church is of simply gabled hall with rather austere wall surfaces relieved by Romanesque derived…

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's Anglican

Address: Sheoak Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Year Built: 1898

Address: James Road, Adelaide, Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 24 September 1898 by the Bishop of the Diocese.

Read More

Belair, SA - Uniting

Belair, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1928

Address: Sheoak Road, Adelaide, Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 4 February 1928 by Mrs Arthur H. Gault.

Read More

Bethany, SA - Bethany Lutheran

Bethany, SA - Bethany Lutheran

Year Built: 1883

Address: Bethany Road, , Bethany South Australia, 5352

The Church was built in 1883. The design is of simple rectangular plan with gable roof, smaller gabled annex to rear, square tower at front with tall pointed spire, rendered features on facades create a strong outline for the building. Construction - coursed rubble walls, rendered corner strips and windows indicate a reasonably…

Read More

Birdwood, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Birdwood, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: 1 Church Street, , Birdwood South Australia, 2446

The town of Birdwood, formerly Blumberg,' was founded in January 1848 after the first settlers of Blumberg arrived from Hamburg, Germany in December of 1847. The first worship services of the congregation were held in the home of one of the elders of the congregation until his death in 1850. A small church was then built about 1.5km…

Read More

Birdwood, SA - St Mathew's Catholic

Birdwood, SA - St Mathew's Catholic

Address: Shannon Street, Birdwood, South Australia, 2446

Read More

Birdwood, SA - Uniting

Birdwood, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1956

Address: Main Street, Birdwood, South Australia, 2446

The Foundation stone was laid on 1 December 1956 by Mr E.T. Pflaum.

Read More

Blair Athol, SA - St Clement's Anglican

Blair Athol, SA - St Clement's Anglican

Address: 341 Main North Road, Adelaide, Blair Athol South Australia, 5084

The Church was opened in 1858. Stained glass windows by world acclaimed South Australian glass artist, Cedar Prest.

Read More

Blyth, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Blyth, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1970

Address: South Terrace, , Blyth South Australia, 5462

The Foundation stone was laid in 1970.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - Church of Christ

Bordertown, SA - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1965

Address: West Terrace, Bordertown, South Australia, 5268

The church was erected in 1965.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Bordertown, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: McLeod Street, Bordertown, South Australia, 5268

Read More

Bordertown, SA - St Mary's Catholic

Bordertown, SA - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: Victoria Parade, Bordertown, South Australia, 5268

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 February 1969 by the Archbishop of Adelaide the most Reverend J.W. Gleeson D.D.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Bordertown, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1930

Address: Corner Smith & Patterson Streets, Bordertown, South Australia, 5268

The beginnings of the church fall to the Hauser family who moved into the district in 1930. With no Lutheran church to speak of they encouraged the Victorian district of the UELCA to conduct services on a regular basis. Pastor E Sprengel of Mt Gambier conducted the first three services in the Hauser home which was located about 8 miles…

Read More