Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1881 and 1890


Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican

Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: New England Highway, , Allora Queensland, 4362

St. David's Church, Allora is a timber, Gothic Revival style church prominently located at the end of the main thoroughfare of the town, was constructed in 1887-88 to the design of leading Queensland colonial architect F.D.G Stanley. This building is the second church to be built on the site, which also contains a rectory designed by…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

Built between 1886 and 1889 and opened in February 1889 the church was a gift by Mrs Helen Hunter Baillie as a memorial to her husband John Baillie who died in 1854. He was a sub-editor of the Colonial Observer and later the Secretary and Inspector of the Bank of New South Wales. The Architect's were Cyril Arthur Blackett son of the…

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Uniting

Armadale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Kooyong & Clarendon Streets, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

Read More

Arthur River, WA - St Paul's Anglican

Arthur River, WA - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 16882 Albany Highway, , Arthur River Western Australia, 6315

The Taylor family donated the land for the church and £50 towards its construction. Construction commenced in 1882 and was completed n 1884. Construction was by FE Smith and AG Horley. Made of stone with wooden floorboards and a shingle roof. The floorboards came from the sawpits near Dardaline.

Read More

Avenel, VIC - Uniting

Avenel, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1886

Address: Queen Street, , Avenel Victoria, 3664

Originally a Wesleyan Methodist church built in 1886. A meeting of the building commit was held in Mr Vearings Saw Mill on 6 March 1886. It was decided to accept the tender of Mr Shatlock. By May 1886 the rear windows were being installed and anew font door had been order. In the same year Mr Graham bought the old church for £11. Dr…

Read More

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Year Built: 1884

Address: Victoria Street, , Ballarat East Victoria, 3350

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid December 11 1883 by the Honourable James Campbell M.L.C.

Read More

Ballarat North, VIC - Scots Presbyterian

Ballarat North, VIC - Scots Presbyterian

Year Built: 1890

Address: 415 Lydiard Street, Ballarat, Ballarat North Victoria, 3350

Built in 1890 to a Gothic-inspired design by local architects Figgis & Molloy. The foundation stone of Scots Church was laid on 5 July 1890 by Sir James MacBain, Scottish-born businessman and president of the Victorian Legislative Council. The church is on a rectangular plan without transepts. The nave is of six bays, buttressed…

Read More

Barrington, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Barrington, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1885

Address: 48 Barrington Road, , Barrington Tasmania,

Barrington is regarded as the birthplace of Methodism in the Sheffield district. The first settlers were led by John and Charles Coleman and were later joined by Alexander Smith, John Harmon, Benjamin Green, John Reeves, Charles Packett and William Smith, all members of the Methodist Church.

Read More

Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1885

Address: 105 High Street, , Berwick Victoria, 3806

The first service was held in 1856 in Narre Warren at the residence of Mr Catenach on a fortnightly basis for about a year and then moved to a hut in Berwick owned by a Mr Gardiner. The Church is the oldest church in Berwick, and the congregation was founded amongst Scottish and English settlers in 1857 by Rev Alexander Duff, an Irish…

Read More

Bethanga, VIC - St Francis Catholic

Bethanga, VIC - St Francis Catholic

Year Built: 1886

Address: Bridge Street, , Bethanga Victoria, 3691

Read More

Bethany, SA - Bethany Lutheran

Bethany, SA - Bethany Lutheran

Year Built: 1883

Address: Bethany Road, , Bethany South Australia, 5352

The Church was built in 1883. The design is of simple rectangular plan with gable roof, smaller gabled annex to rear, square tower at front with tall pointed spire, rendered features on facades create a strong outline for the building. Construction - coursed rubble walls, rendered corner strips and windows indicate a reasonably…

Read More

Bexley, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Bexley, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1887

Address: 269 Forest Road, , Bexley New South Wales, 2207

The land on which this Church is built was first granted to James Chandler on the 19th October 1831 by Governor Brisbane (1300 acres). The Foundation stone was laid on 24 May 1887 by the ten Minster for Education the Hon James Inglis. The Church was opened for worship by Rev Robert Steel in October 1887. For over 50 years it was known…

Read More

Binalong, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Binalong, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Stephens Street, , Binalong New South Wales, 2584

One of the earliest references to the Binalong District as part of the parish of Yass is in the report of the Yass Auxiliary of the Church Society for 1869 when Archdeacon Lillingston is reported to have said, that Yass people were too apt to consider that the world lay between Bowning and the Gap. In the 1871 census Binalong is shown as…

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Blackburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: 5 Queens Street, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

The Government granted land in 1861 to the Church of England in Bedford Street - an area which stretched From the present Bedford Street, Box Hill to Canterbury Road, then called Delaney's Road. Charles Bedford was Secretary to the Vestry of the local Church of England for many years. The Bedford Road Church was a brick building also used…

Read More

Bower, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Bower, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1890

Address: 8461 Thiele Highway, , Bower South Australia, 5374

The land on which the church is located was once owned by Mr F. W. Kaeding. The Foundation stone was laid on 14 September 1890 by Pastor J. Hansen and it was finished by 1899 when a dedication service was held on 24 September. The Sunday School was opened in 1919. The church is 45 feet x 25 feet and cost approximately 120.

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: 12 Wilson Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The earliest recorded Anglican service to be held in Brighton, formerly known as `Waterville' was held in 1842 in a simple slab and shingle home, owned by Henry Dendy, near the corner of New and Well Streets. The Reverend Adam Compton Thompson, the only clergyman in the colony at the time was the first to offer ministry in Brighton. He…

Read More

Bungaree, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Bungaree, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1890

Address: 184 Bungaree Wallace Road, , Bungaree Victoria, 3352

The Parish was established in 1890. A few years before in 1878 Dean Moore purchased a block of land for a church and school. This land now holds the Bungaree hall and some adjoining houses. The first recorded baptism in Bungaree was that of Ellena Rice performed by Fr J Cleary on 31 August 1890. When Fr Linane retired in 1965 Fr…

Read More

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 52 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

The first moves for the provision of an Anglican church at Burnie began in the mid-1840s after the visits of the Rev. Grigg from Circular Head and the Rev. Waterfield from the settlement at the Forth River. The Launceston Advertiser of 9 November 1844 under the heading Churches of the Interior reported: At the new but populous settlement…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Year Built: 1885

Address: 581 Riversdale Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The first Presbyterian service in Camberwell was held in the old Shire Hall on 6 September 1885. The site on which the present Church stands was purchased for 375, and almost immediately the first building was erected, at a cost of 566. It was a very plain, weatherboard structure, and seated about 200 persons. This first church was…

Read More

Charlton, VIC - Uniting

Charlton, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: 6 Halliday Street, , Charlton Victoria, 3525

Two Foundation stones read, 1. "Wesley Chapel Built in 1876 and later used as a Sunday School. The present church was built for the Methodist Community in 1885. This project was funded by Centenary of Federation Victoria through the Victorian Government's Community Support Fund." 2. Charlton Methodist Sunday School Hall built to the…

Read More

Clifton, QLD - All Saints Anglican

Clifton, QLD - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: Gammie Street, , Clifton Queensland, 4361

The first church was erected in 1890. The second was built in 1909. The successful contractor was Mr. Stay of Allora. The floor has a vestry 'raised to 6 feet. A noticeable feature of the building is its great height compared to its size. This ensures breathing space and ventilation. The church proper, which seats 300, was built on 4 feet…

Read More

Colebrook, TAS - St James of Jerusalem Anglican

Colebrook, TAS - St James of Jerusalem Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 7 Richmond Street, , Colebrook Tasmania, 7027

Services were first held in the old probation church of 1835. The plans of this church were given to the Diocesan Registry in 1921 by the Public Works and are now in the State Archives. In 1882 the foundation stone of the church was laid and in March 1884 the new stone church costing £800 was consecrated.

Read More

Coogee, NSW - St Nicholas Anglican

Coogee, NSW - St Nicholas Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: 123 Brook Street, , Coogee New South Wales, 2034

The Foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Sydney Bishop Alfred Barry D.D. on 18 December 1886. The following year St. Nicolas Anglican was consecrated. In 1905 the church building was almost completed destroyed by fire. The Church was reopened in 1906. Between 1917 and 1944, St. Nicolas Coogee was instrumental in establishing…

Read More

Corawa, NSW - Presbyterian

Corawa, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1886

Address: 11 Mary Street, , Corawa New South Wales, 2646

The first regular service of the Presbyterian parish was held on the 1st November, 1885 and for three years services were conducted by home missionaries. On Wednesday, 1st December, 1875, Neil Jamieson and a group of Scottish settlers met during a public meeting to consider what steps should be taken to secure a minister for the…

Read More

Corowa, NSW - St John's Anglican

Corowa, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Federation Avenue, , Corowa New South Wales, 2646

The Church was built at Corowa on land donated by John Foord. The Church was opened in November 1883. The architects were Gordon and Gordon, of Albury and Corowa. Constructed in red brick, the building is designed in a Gothic style.

Read More

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Address: Kendal Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

The town allotments were surveyed in 1854 and the first land sales were held later in that year. Property for churches was reserved - the site for the Wesleyan Church was on the south east corner of Kendal and Darling Streets, and the site for the Minister's Residence on the corner of Darling Street and Bartlett Lane. It was not until…

Read More

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1887

Address: Grenfell Road, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

Formerly a Methodist church it was erected at Brundah Creek in 1887 and moved to its current site in 1916. Closed for regular services in 1969 it now forms part of the Uniting Church.

Read More

Deloraine, TAS - Holy Redeemer Catholic

Deloraine, TAS - Holy Redeemer Catholic

Year Built: 1889

Address: 20 W Goderich Street, , Deloraine Tasmania, 7304

A stone above a doorway to the Church reads, " Pray for the soul of Rev Edward Francis Walsh 22 years Pastor of this Church who fortified with all the rites of Holy Church died December 4th 1902 in the 39th year of his Priesthood aged 64 years R.I.P.". A Foundation stone reads, " Church of the Holy Redeemer blessed and dedicated by Most…

Read More

Deloraine, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Deloraine, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1883

Address: 32 W Goderich Street, , Deloraine Tasmania, 7304

The Church was closed in 1983 and is now a private residence.

Read More

Drysdale, VIC - Uniting

Drysdale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1887

Address: High Street, , Drysdale Victoria, 3222

The Foundation stone was laid on 24 May 1887 by Rev J.D. Dodgson Ex President of the Conference. This was the fourth site of the Wesleyan and Methodist church and was opened in 1888.

Read More

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Herbert & Seaview Streets, , Dulwich Hill New South Wales, 2203

A timber hall on the site of the present church where services where held (this hall was then divided up, part of which is now the Jennifer Russell Hall standing behind the Holy Trinity, 1886 church building. The first Holy Trinity Anglican Church was on the opposite side of the present day church and was dedicated by Bishop Barry on…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 5 Finch Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

Founded as a mission to Caulfield Racecourse in 1883 the original church was built in 1889. The current church was built between 1920 and 1922. The Architect was Purchase and Teague. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 December 1920 by the Venerable Archdeacon Hindley B.D. Administrator of the Diocese. An example of the English…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - Presbyterian former

East Melbourne, VIC - Presbyterian former

Year Built: 1883

Address: Corner Powlett & Hotham Streets, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

An article in the Melbourne Argus newspaper of 10 October 1881 reads, "A section of the congregation of Chalmera' Church having been granted permission by the Presbetry of Melbourne to form themselves into a separate congregation, they met for the first time yesterday morning, at the Orderly room, corner of Powlett-street and…

Read More

Enmore, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Enmore, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 11 Stanmore Road, , Enmore New South Wales, 2042

In 1882 the land for the present site on Enmore Road was purchased. The Foundation Stone was laid on 4 March 1882. It took less than three months to complete the church building which was opened in 18 June 1882. The total cost was over £3,200. As with most churched, renovations were carried out over the years however exact dates are…

Read More

Eudunda, SA - Church of St Hilda Anglican

Eudunda, SA - Church of St Hilda Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Ward Street, , Eudunda South Australia, 5374

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1883 and the church is the oldest stand church in Eudunda. The church was dedicated as St Trinitatis Lutheran Church in 1884. It was sold to the Church of England in 1888 and dedicated in 1889. The Vestry dates fr0m 1885.

Read More

Euroa, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Euroa, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Address: Kirkland Street West, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. In 1865 the first Presbyterian church services were held in the old Euroa school house and later incorporated in the Church of England rectory. The first church was erected in 1881 in Foy Street. The current church was built in 1889 by Gordon and Duncan and cost £600 while the Sunday School hall was…

Read More

Euroa, VIC - St John's Catholic

Euroa, VIC - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner Brock & Kirkland Avenue West, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

Bishop Gould recorded in his diary that he blessed and opened on 8 May 1866 a small church in Euroa named in honour of St Michael the Archangel. This was the first church building in Euroa. On 6 March 1887 the new church was blessed and opened by Bishop Reville Coadjutor. In 1915 the interior of St Johns Church was completely…

Read More

Euroa, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Euroa, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: Clifton Street, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

The first Church of England service in Euroa was held in early 1854 by Reverend William Singleton who was currently stationed at Kilmore. By 1857 services were held in the Church of England school room which today is the Rectory kitchen. Built by the Brewer Brother's it was completed in 1884 at a cost of 800 and this part of the church…

Read More

Fenton's Creek, VIC - Anglican

Fenton's Creek, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Wedderburn- Logan Road, , Fenton's Creek Victoria, 3518

A local saw miller Mr John Brown obtianed the timber form a location called the rocky water hole. Mr George Catto a local carpenter erected the building. The church was offically opened on March 18 1887 by the Bishop of Ballarat. The second church was opened on March 20 1965.

Read More

Footscray, VIC - Uniting

Footscray, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: 302 Barkly Street, , Footscray Victoria, 3011

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Hon James MacBain M.L.C. August 29th 1885".

Read More