Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1861 and 1870


Adelaide, SA - Baptist

Adelaide, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1863

Address: 65 Flinders Street, Adelaide, South Australia , 5000

A Foundation stone was laid by Rev Isaac New on 18 December 1861. Robert G. Thomas, the architect who would later be responsible for the Stow Memorial Church (now Pilgrim Uniting Church), was selected to design the building, which is of Gothic revival style in bluestone and sandstone with elaborate capitals on the columns, a rose…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Pilgrim Uniting

Adelaide, SA - Pilgrim Uniting

Year Built: 1867

Address: 12 Flinders Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

Pilgrim Church traces its roots back to Adelaides early Wesleyans and Congregationalists. A Wesleyan chapel in Pirie Street was opened in 1851 and became known as the Pirie Street Methodist Church. Stow Memorial Congregational Church, in Flinders Street, was dedicated in 1867. The two churches were back-to-back and were divided by a high…

Read More

Ainslie, ACT - All Saints Anglican

Ainslie, ACT - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 1 Bonney Street, , Ainslie Australian Capital Territory, 2602

Originally built as the Necropolis Receiving House as part of the Gothic Mortuary Railway Station at Rookwood, Sydney. It was designed by James Barnet in 1869. Built of stone the mortuary station fell into disrepair and by the 1950s the building's roof had been destroyed in a bushfire. The Anglican Rector of North Canberra successfully…

Read More

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: Main South Road, , Aldinga South Australia, 5173

In 1866 residents of Aldinga called a meeting to consider the advisability of erecting a Church. An acre of land was presented by the South Australian Company and the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Short. Total cost was £785. Building opened for service by Dean Farrell and was consecrated. The Church is a simple stone chapel derived…

Read More

Aldinga, SA - Uniting

Aldinga, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1863

Address: Old Coach Road, , Aldinga South Australia, 5173

The Uniting Church was constructed as the Aldinga Methodist Church and opened in 1863 during a period of active church building throughout the district. Services for Methodists in the Aldinga area had been held in other locations previously, but this church was the focus of their worship from the 1860's onwards. Stone church with brick…

Read More

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1865

Address: 1975 - 1985 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

A meeting was held in August 1864 and tenders were called for a bluestone church to be build from plans by architect John Young.The Foundation stone was laid 4 January 1865 by Mrs John Brown. Its built in a primitive Gothic style.

Read More

Angaston, SA - Uniting

Angaston, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1861

Address: Corner Fyfe & Sturt Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

Formerly a Congregational church the first church was a red brick chapel built in 1861 at the rear of the current church. The foundation stone of this church was laid by Mr J H Angas Esq J.P. on 13 May 1878. It cost £2162.00. It is of Gothic Revival style with bluestone walls and rendered dressings. The leadlight windows were shipped…

Read More

Angaston, SA - Zion Lutheran

Angaston, SA - Zion Lutheran

Year Built: 1861

Address: 85 Murray Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

The Church was originally built for joint use however by 1861 there was a divide and only the Baptists kept using it until 1929. For the next 12 years it was used by building contractor G.N. Dallwitz. A Lutheran Church had been built in Hill street but when that was destroyed by fire in 1941 Dallwitz offered this building to the…

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Ararat, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: 32 View Point Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

In October 1857, there were meetings in Ararat to work towards having a resident clergyman and school building (which could also be used for public worship.) By mid October 1857 saw the arrival of Rev'd Philip Homan as the resident clergyman to Ararat and district. In September 1863 the Rev'd Homan wrote to the Diocesan Architect to…

Read More

Auburn, SA - Our Lady of Peace Catholic

Auburn, SA - Our Lady of Peace Catholic

Year Built: 1866

Address: Elder Street, , Auburn South Australia, 5451

A former Wesleyan church this Gothic Revival church was built in 1866 by Joseph Meller and Scott. Constructed from Auburn bluestone it has symbolic pillars capped with open bible design, stone cuts with fine lines. The building was later used as a Sunday School when the Wesleyans and Methodists merged until it was sold to the Catholic…

Read More

Auburn, SA - St John's Anglican

Auburn, SA - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1862

Address: 17 St Vincent Street, , Auburn South Australia, 5451

A Gothic Revival church constructed form Auburn bluestone with quoins and dressings of Watervale sandstone it was built by Pike and Dale in 1862. Joseph Meller and James Scott cut the stone and Joseph Jones was one of the stone masons employed on this project. The roof is of Welsh slate while the steps are of Mintaro slate. The Hall…

Read More

Auburn, SA - Uniting

Auburn, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1861

Address: Main North Road, , Auburn South Australia, 5451

Opened in 1861 this former Bible Christian Chapel was built by Joseph Meller. The building is of Auburn bluestone and Watervale sandstone. William Threadgold was the carpenter. The first services were holed in a blacksmiths shop in 1850. The Church is of simply gabled hall with rather austere wall surfaces relieved by Romanesque derived…

Read More

Axedale, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Axedale, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1869

Address: 80 McIvor Highway, , Axedale Victoria, 3551

The Church was opened by in 1869 by Rev J Nish of Sandhurst. The total cost of the building being £309 5s. 8d.

Read More

Ballan, VIC - St John's Anglican

Ballan, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1862

Address: 56 Simpson Street, , Ballan Victoria, 3342

Built in 1862 and consecrated in 1879 of locally mined bluestone, this typically Gothic church, which has seating capacity of 150, originally featured a high pitched roof of slate, that was replaced with terra cotta tiles in the 1950s. At the same time the original concrete floor was replaced with Tasmanian hardwood. An entrance porch was…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Ballarat, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1865

Address: Soldiers Hill, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

A meeting of interested persons was held at the Olive Branch Hotel 6 December 1861 to discuss the formation of a church. A further meeting was held at the North Star Hotel on 24 September 1862 to canvas more funds. During this time services were held in a tent on the Lydiard Street site.* The foundation stone was laid on 15 March 1864…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Ballarat, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: Humffray South Street Bakery Hill, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

St Paul's is closely associated with the early Ballarat goldfields and mining at Bakery Hill. It features a plain exterior that hides an unusual internal structural timber post and truss system, extensive and intact 1860s stencilled decoration, and a magnificent and very early stained glass window. The congregation of St Paul's was…

Read More

Balmain, NSW - Presbyterian

Balmain, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1868

Address: 7 Campbell Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first church was erected in 1842 at a cost of £25.00 and was the first church to be built in Balmain. An early stone Victorian Free Gothic style Church constructed in 1867-1868. The Church significantly retains its original form, scale and details particularly the stone façades and roof and associated details and prominent tower…

Read More

Boorowa, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Boorowa, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: 38 Queen Street, , Boorowa New South Wales, 2586

The Church was established in 1861. Plaque inside gate reads, In Memory of the Soldier Sons of the Church in the Parish, Who gave their lives in The Great War 1914-1918. Their names are inscribed on the Lamp of Remembrance, given by their Comrades.

Read More

Boorowa, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Boorowa, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1865

Address: Queen Street, , Boorowa New South Wales, 2586

The church was established in 1865 and construction of the current church was completed in 1877. The first Mass was conducted in fact iin 1837 by Father Brennan from Yass. Its a Gothic church of blue granite and sandstone both locally quarried. Its 35m in length by 19m wide with ceiling and rafters made from stained timber. The roof is…

Read More

Boorowa, NSW - Uniting

Boorowa, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1869

Address: Farm Street, , Boorowa New South Wales, 2586

Formerly a Wesleyan church 1869.

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Box Hill, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1867

Address: Corner Whitehorse Road & Bruce Street, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The first Presbyterian Church Service was held on 6 February 1867 by the Rev W Rolland. By 1887 a Theological student by the name of Alex Walker was engaged to run services at both Box Hill and Surrey Hills. The original site for the first church was Court Street and a wooden building was opened in July 1889. A larger weatherboard…

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Box Hill, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: Whitehorse Road, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The first church was erected in 1861 at the corner of Canterbury Road and Bedford Street at a cost of 300.00. By 1883 a new church was erected on the corner of Whitehorse Road and Frankcom Street on land donated by Mr Stewart Sergeant. The foundation stone was laid on 15 May 1883.* The church was to be in the Gothic style constructed…

Read More

Brighton, SA - Uniting

Brighton, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1864

Address: 442 Brighton Road, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

Built as a Methodist Church, the foundation stone was laid on the 1st of May, 1864. It was the for runner of the first church built in Sturt Road in 1847. The first members of the church met in private homes on Sturt Road. As a rural community the first service was held in the 1840's in a dugout with an upturned boat serving as a roof.…

Read More

Bungaree, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bungaree, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 335 Bungaree Wallace Road, , Bungaree Victoria, 3352

A meeting of locals was held in November of 1865 and the committee decided to purchase land where todays church is located. The first church service was held at Mr Benham's home on 6 January 1867. In April, 1866 it was proposed that the church be of stone, 25 feet by 40 feet with a hardwood floor and shingle roof. The walls to be 18…

Read More

Bungendore, NSW - St Philip's Anglican

Bungendore, NSW - St Philip's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: Gibraltar Street, , Bungendore New South Wales, 2621

The Church was erected in 1864 and is of the Victorian Free Gothic style. The walls are constructed of rock faced ashlar and the jointing is of fine pointing. The steep pitched timber frame gable roof is clad with asbestos shingles. Walls feature high pointed Gothic windows which are complimented by arched sandstone block work to window…

Read More

Camperdown, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Camperdown, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1863

Address: Corner Church & Fergusson Streets, , Camperdown Victoria, 3260

The building of St Paul's Parish Church commenced in 1863 with substantial contributions from families whose descendants still worship in the parish. With local tradesmen directing the stonework and carpentry, both the church and the vicarage were completed within four months. The Church was built in three stages with chancel and…

Read More

Carisbrook, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Carisbrook, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 4 Urquhart Street, , Carisbrook Victoria, 3464

Anglican services were first held in Carisbrook in 1851. In 1854 church services and a school were conducted in the Parish Hall. In 1864 - 1866 the present blue stone church was erected. The interior was renovated in 1966 and the vestry was added in 1972. On October 2015 St Paul’s Carisbrook was deconsecrated as a place of worship,…

Read More

Carlton, VIC - St Judes Anglican

Carlton, VIC - St Judes Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: 351 Lygon Street, , Carlton Victoria, 3053

The church was built in two stages, the first between 1866 and 1867 and the second between 1869 and 1870. It was designed by Joseph Reed and Barnes. The builder was John Pigdon. The tower at the northeast corner was never erected and in 1935 was substituted by the present porch and Bell-cote. A foundation stone was laid on 14 September…

Read More

Carlton, VIC - Uniting

Carlton, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1869

Address: Drummond Street, , Carlton Victoria, 3053

Originally a Wesleyan Methodist church it was designed by Joseph Reed and built between 1869 and 1870. The first church, seating 120 people was opened on 17 February 1861. It cost 260 on completion. This church later became half the Sunday School Hall. Construction commenced on 29 December 1860 and it took only 6 weeks to build.

Read More

Chiltern, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Chiltern, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: Albert Road, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683

During 1869 services were held in the Old Fellows hall. Erected over a period between 1870 and 1875, the design was adapted from a church in Ireland. Construction was by James Fitzpatrick. The Foundation stone was laid on 25 April 1870 by Sir William Foster Stawell Chief Justice of the Colony of Victoria. The architects were Pickersgill…

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - St Luke's Hungarian Reformed Church

Clifton Hill, VIC - St Luke's Hungarian Reformed Church

Year Built: 1870

Formerly a Church of England church built in 1879. It was sold to the Hungarian Reformed church in 1979. The original foundation stone was laid on 21 December 1870.

Read More

Clunes, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Clunes, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1861

Address: Service Street, , Clunes Victoria, 3370

Constructed in the Gothic style it was designed by Ballarat architect J.A. Doane, and commenced in 1864. It consists of a broad nave and transepts with galleries, including cast iron balustrades. The facade incorporates a slate-roofed octagonal turret and spire and a four-light perpendicular Gothic window. The Basalt manse was erected in…

Read More

Colac, VIC - St John's Anglican

Colac, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: Corner Hessie & Pollack Streets, , Colac Victoria, 3250

The Church of St John's is a fine brick building set prominently on a busy corner in the midst of the old residential area of the town. The present building replaces the first church on the site, which was dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The new building constructed from plans prepared by Messrs Henderson and Davidson was opened…

Read More

Cowes, VIC - St Philip's Anglican

Cowes, VIC - St Philip's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: 102 Thompson Avenue, , Cowes Victoria, 3922

The site of this Church was reserved for church purposes on the 12th April 1869 and was described in official language as being "crown allot 18 and part of 17 of Section 7" and fronting the main street of Cowes. The style of the building was not in the traditional Gothic style of the times but had a flat ceiling and round headed…

Read More

Delamare, SA - Uniting

Delamare, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1870

Address: Yoho Road, , Delamere South Australia, 5204

Formerly a Methodist church it was opened in 1858. The porch was opened in 1983. There is an ancillary cemented-stone building immediately to the north, as a hall and Sunday School room. [On that building is a white marble tablet, commemorating 70 years of Church life, at December 1928.

Read More

Delamere, SA - St James Anglican

Delamere, SA - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: Main South Road, , Delamere South Australia, 5204

Constructed in a local basalt-like stone with cut sandstone dressings to windows and quoins. Foundation stone was laid 19 September 1870 by Archbishop Bussel. It was dedicated and opened by Bishop Augustus Short, attended by the Governor of the State. The floor is well tiled, the font is from St Peter's, Britford and is over 200 years…

Read More

Diamond Creek, VIC - St John's Anglican

Diamond Creek, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: Corner Hyde & Main Street, , Diamond Creek Victoria, 3089

The first recorded Church of England services were conducted by the Rev. Francis Hales. In 1860 Diamond Creek came under the jurisdiction of the Eltham parish - with the Rev R Mackie, and then the Rev Josiah Hollis as vicars. The building was designed by Charles Maplestone of Heidelberg, son-in-law to Anthony Beale of St Helena.…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 193 Hotham Street, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

It is recorded the first church services were held in the school buildings on the corner of Victoria Parade and Hoddle Street. The Church was erected of bluestone and had been originally designated for a Cathedral, but Holy Trinity was erected on it with the intention that it was later to be converted to the Cathedral library or…

Read More

Echuca, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Echuca, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1866

Address: Corner Percy & Hare Street, , Echuca Victoria, 3564

The first St Mary's was a wooden structure built in 1866 on the same location as todays Church stands. A further brick church was added in 1890.

Read More

Eltham, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Eltham, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: Pitt Street, , Eltham Victoria, 3095

The land on which St Margaret's Church and Vicarage stands was donated by Henry Dendy, a well known Melbourne pioneer and wealthy land owner. Dendy later moved to England returning and residing in Eltham again. He chaired a meeting held in 1860 for the purpose of devising a means of establishing a Church of England in the township. The…

Read More