Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Architectural Style: Gothic


Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1872

Address: 170 Flinders Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5011

The beginnings of the Church can be traced to 1860 when about six families withdrew membership from Pastor Borgelt's Klemzig congregation on scriptural and confessional grounds. With several families who had been members of the Trinity congregation, as well as a number of others who were not affiliated with any group, they formed the…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1851

Address: 33 Wakefield Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

Built progressively, from the laying of the original foundation in 1851 to the completion of the bell-tower in 1996, this cathedral is considered a major Australian work of the Gothic Revival style. It is linked with a number of designers and builders, including the eminent English architects Charles Francis Hansom and Peter Paul Pugin.…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Stephen's Lutheran

Adelaide, SA - St Stephen's Lutheran

Year Built: 1848

Address: 152 Wakefield Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

This congregation was founded by about 20 families from Mecklenburg and Hanover and remnants of the older congregation. The original congregation of this church was formed in Klemzig in 1848. They remained there until 1862 when their first church was built in Pirie Street. The congregation increased again in size and it was at this point…

Read More

Albion Park, NSW - All Saints' Anglican

Albion Park, NSW - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: 253 Tongarra Road, , Albion Park New South Wales, 2527

This Gothic Revivalist church was built from sandstone quarried at Yellow Rock. The architect was Mr. E Blacket of Sydney, and the builder Mr. Schadel. The Reverend’s wife, Mrs. Rowsell, laid the foundation stone in the north east corner of the building in 1875. Under the stone was placed a glass bottle time capsule containing a copy of…

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1843

Address: Corner Olive & Smolett Streets, , Albury New South Wales, 2640

Father Charles Lovat, a pioneer priest from Yass, celebrated Albury's first Catholic mass on November 25, 1843 in a much smaller building at a different location. The present Church was opened on November 24, 1872. The priest who planned its construction was buried behind the altar. He was Dr. Michael McAlroy, Albury's parish priest from…

Read More

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: Main South Road, , Aldinga South Australia, 5173

In 1866 residents of Aldinga called a meeting to consider the advisability of erecting a Church. An acre of land was presented by the South Australian Company and the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Short. Total cost was £785. Building opened for service by Dean Farrell and was consecrated. The Church is a simple stone chapel derived…

Read More

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1865

Address: 1975 - 1985 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

A meeting was held in August 1864 and tenders were called for a bluestone church to be build from plans by architect John Young.The Foundation stone was laid 4 January 1865 by Mrs John Brown. Its built in a primitive Gothic style.

Read More

Angaston, SA - Uniting

Angaston, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1878

Address: Corner Fyfe & Sturt Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

Formerly a Congregational church the first church was a red brick chapel built in 1861 at the rear of the current church. The foundation stone of this church was laid by Mr J H Angas Esq J.P. on 13 May 1878. It cost £2162.00. It is of Gothic Revival style with bluestone walls and rendered dressings. The leadlight windows were shipped…

Read More

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1885

Address: 239 Main Streert, , Bairnsdale Victoria, 3875

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone for St Andrew's Church was laid by Rev A S McLean on December 17th, 1885. The site now accommodation a Health Services Group and a Red Cross Centre.

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Ballarat, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 1307 Sturt Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

In contemplation of its earliest beginning's of St Peter's Church Ballarat the credit for its foundation must undoubtedly be given to Rev John Potter and his curate the Rev H.C.M. Watson some time during the year 1861. It is upon the erection of a school house in 1861 on the Yuille's Swamp Reserve which was sometimes called a school…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - Uniting

Ballarat, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner of Dana & Lydiard Streets, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid December 11 1883 by the Honourable James Campbell M.L.C. A Gothic Revival church, listed on the Victorian Heritage Register, and constructed in 1883-1884 to a design by prominent local architects, Terry and Oakden. The elaborate structure of polychromatic brickwork with…

Read More

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1860

Address: 40 Ross Street, , Batesford Victoria, 3213

First services were held in private homes such as "Darriwill" home of the Hope family. Later Reve Sutherland conducted services in a tin shed on top of Batesford Hill until he left in 1887. In December 1859 tenders were let by the Architect Joseph Lowe Shaw for the erection of a bluestone church. A plaque on the upper section of the…

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Beechworth, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Corner Ford & Church Streets, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

The first Rector was The Reverend Cooper Searle and a rectory was built for him in 1855. At the time the present church hall was the first church building. The Victorian Government provided two-thirds of the building costs for the current church. The Church was erected in two stages. The foundation stone for the first stage, comprising…

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Beechworth, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1857

Address: Corner Ford & Williams Streets, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

The foundation stone of the Beechworth Presbyterian Church was laid by the Rev. James Nish, of Sandhurst, on 6th July, 1857. St Andrew's Church was built by the Scottish and Ulster Presbyterians who settled in north-east Victoria in the mid-nineteenth century. The church is a five-bay Gothic Revival design of cement stucco, built in 1857.…

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Bendigo, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1873

Address: Myer's Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

The cathedral was designed by the architect Robert A. Love. The nave was dedicated in November 1868, the bell tower in 1873 and the chancel and transepts in 1927. Originally a parish church, St Paul's became the diocese's cathedral in 1981. The building is constructed of red brick with stone dressings in an early Gothic style and is…

Read More

Berrima, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholc

Berrima, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholc

Year Built: 1851

Address: Oldbury Street, , Berrima New South Wales, 2577

A sandstone Victorian Free Gothic style church with gabled roofs a bellcote over the west front, a central porch on the north side and a vestry on the south side. The interior consists of a nave and sanctuary. Some of the pews were originally in the redundant Sutton Forest Roman Catholic Church of St patrick. The Church was designed by…

Read More

Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: 105 High Street, , Berwick Victoria, 3806

The first service was held in 1856 in Narre Warren at the residence of Mr Catenach on a fortnightly basis for about a year and then moved to a hut in Berwick owned by a Mr Gardiner. The Church is the oldest church in Berwick, and the congregation was founded amongst Scottish and English settlers in 1857 by Rev Alexander Duff, an Irish…

Read More

Blampied, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (Former)

Blampied, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1869

Address: 3478 Midland Highway, , Blampied Victoria, 3364

Of Gothic revival and constructed of bluestone the Church consists of a nave of five bays, a large chancel and lateral sacristies with a double gable, not often seen on country churches. The Church was sold in 2021.

Read More

Boorowa, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Boorowa, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1877

Address: Queen Street, , Boorowa New South Wales, 2586

‘A church was built 1854 as an outpost of Yass Mission, but a resident priest came in 1864. That old church became unstable and too small and was later replaced. A stain-glassed window of the Irish Saints Patrick, Bridget and Columba is a fine element, but there is within it a surprising inset panel of the ‘Liberator’ Daniel O’Connell,…

Read More

Bothwell, TAS - St Michael's and All Angels Anglican

Bothwell, TAS - St Michael's and All Angels Anglican

Year Built: 1891

Address: 2 Dennistoun Road, , Bothwell Tasmania, 7030

The Church was consecrated by Bishop Montgomery in 1891. The French Gothic revival small country Cathedral was designed by Alexander North and built by Lewis and Son and Hallet. The sandstone for this church was quarried locally. The tower was added and dedicated in 1923 however is un finsiehd due to costs. Before construction of the…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: 12 Wilson Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The earliest recorded Anglican service to be held in Brighton, formerly known as `Waterville' was held in 1842 in a simple slab and shingle home, owned by Henry Dendy, near the corner of New and Well Streets. The Reverend Adam Compton Thompson, the only clergyman in the colony at the time was the first to offer ministry in Brighton. He…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Brighton, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1875

Address: 17 Black Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

In 1853 a Church, the Independents (later Congregational Church) began services in a tent measuring 10ft x 12ft which they erected in Carpenter street. Their Minister was the Reverend Henry Kidgell recently arrived from England. In April that year it was resolved to erect a small wooden chapel on a quarter acre block of land in Male…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - Presbyterian

Brisbane, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1858

Address: 141 Ann Street, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

In September 1854, the congregation purchased three allotments in Ann Street. Four years later, a simple stone building in the Gothic style was erected by Joshua Jeays for a cost of £960. It was 36 by 47 feet (11 by 14 m). The church was opened on Sunday 25 July 1858 and became known as the Ann Street Presbyterian Church. On Thursday 21…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - St Stephen's Catholic Cathedral

Brisbane, QLD - St Stephen's Catholic Cathedral

Address: 249 Elizabeth Street, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

Work began on the little stone church in November 1848, using a design of Gothic revival architect, AWN Pugin. The first St Patrick’s Church in Fortitude Valley was a wooden structure built around 1860 with a frontage in Wickham Street, opposite where Duncan Street now adjoins it. The Church Cathedral is a gothic revival cathedral…

Read More

Brookfield, QLD - Good Shepherd Anglican

Brookfield, QLD - Good Shepherd Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 615 Brookfield Road, , Brookfield Queensland, 4069

The Church was build between 1892–1893 in a plain Gothic style. The architect is unknown, however, it is possible that the design may be attributed to the work of John Hingeston Buckeridge, architect for the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane from 1886–1902. The land that was acquired for the building of a church, had been surveyed for sale in…

Read More

Bulla, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Bulla, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1858

Address: 1 Uniting Lane, , Bulla Victoria, 3428

Formerly a Presbyterian Church it was designed of Thomas M Taylor. The Church and manse, are a Gothic Revival and is an early one and is distinguished by its detailing in bluestone. The Church was erected in late 1858 or early 1859 and a bluestone manse of an unknown date. Constructed of random coursed bluestone and a slate roof, the…

Read More

Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: 8 Market Street, , Burra South Australia, 5417

The original church of St Mary’s was located at the junction of Ware and Church Streets in 1849. The land for the present church was donated by the South Australian Mining Association. It was built in the Gothic style and by the local firm of Sara & Dunstan to the design by G.F. McLagan, who came to live in Kooringa from Melbourne. The…

Read More

Burwood, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Burwood, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1887

Address: 339 Warrigal Road, , Burwood Victoria, 3125

A church site was sought in 1878 and an acre (0.4 hectare) of land in Warrigal Road was purchased for £50,320 however the building of a new church did not commence until 1887. The foundation stone was laid on 24 January 1887 by Hon J Balfour, MLC and G Sweet; construction was undertaken by builders, Hainsworth and Kellam, and the church…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1927

Address: 1 Canterbury Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

A site at the corner of Stanhope Grove and Canterbury Road was contemplated initially. The current site was purchased at auction in 1912. The first service was conducted at 11am on Sunday 27 April 1913 when 29 people attended. At the 7pm service 55 people attended. Rev Brooksbanks conviend a public meeting in Adam's assembly hall…

Read More

Canterbury, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Canterbury, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Church Street, , Canterbury New South Wales, 2193

Built on part of Robert Campbell's Canterbury estate on land donated by his daughter Sophia Ives Campbell. The Church was designed by Edmund Blacket. Built from local sandstone it was completed between 1858 and 1859 and consecrated on 12 April 1860. Of Gothic Revival Church style with steeply pitched roof which was originally covered…

Read More

Carlton, VIC - St Jude's Anglican

Carlton, VIC - St Jude's Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: 351 Lygon Street, , Carlton Victoria, 3053

The church was built in two stages, the first between 1866 and 1867 and the second between 1869 and 1870. It was designed by Reed and Barnes. The builder was John Pigdon. The tower at the northeast corner was never erected and in 1935 was substituted by the present porch and Bell-cote. A foundation stone was laid on 14 September 1935…

Read More

Casino, NSW - Presbyterian

Casino, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1908

Address: 181 Canterbury Road, , Casino New South Wales, 2470

St Paul's Presbyterian Church was opened on Wednesday 15 July 1908 by the Right Rev. J. Macaulay, Moderator of the General Assembly. Designed by the Casino architects, Messrs Popplewell and Sykes, in the Early English Gothic style.

Read More

Casterton, VIC - Scot's Uniting

Casterton, VIC - Scot's Uniting

Year Built: 1909

Address: 174 Glenelg Highway, , Casterton Victoria, 3311

The first church was erected in 1865 and was opened on 1 April. The second church built in the Gothic style was opened in March 1909. The A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by Samuel Gillespie Esq on 7 October 1908".

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 281 Glen Ira Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

The first Anglican service held in Caulfield was conducted by the Reverend Samuel Taylor (from St Andrew's Brighton) and Reverend David Seddon (of Christ Church St Kilda) in Park Street. In 1859 steps were taken to build a Church, which for some years was known as '"All Saints." Sir George Stephen gave a quarter of an acre of land, on…

Read More

Chiltern, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Chiltern, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1871

Address: High Street, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683

The former Presbyterian church was erected 1871-1875 by Smith and Houston. It replaced a timber and bark structure erected in 1860 some distance west of the site. The present orange-coloured brick structure comprises a buttressed hall with the west front punctuated by a pinnacled octagonal bell-cote on the gable apex and a small…

Read More

Chiltern, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Chiltern, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: Albert Road, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683

During 1869 services were held in the Old Fellows hall. Erected over a period between 1870 and 1875, the design was adapted from a church in Ireland. Construction was by James Fitzpatrick. The Foundation stone was laid on 25 April 1870 by Sir William Foster Stawell Chief Justice of the Colony of Victoria. The architects were…

Read More

Chippendale, NSW - St Benedict's Catholic

Chippendale, NSW - St Benedict's Catholic

Year Built: 1857

Address: 104 Broadway, , Chippendale New South Wales, 2008

In January 1836 Fr McEncroe applies to the colonial government for a grant of land. The Colonial Secretary advises the approval for the appropriation of one of four vacant allotments on Parramatta Road, near Cooper’s distillery. In 1843 tenders are called for the erection of a “church (St Benedict’s) in stone as well as brick”. By the end…

Read More

Clunes, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Clunes, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1864

Address: Service Street, , Clunes Victoria, 3370

Constructed in the Low & mixed Gothic style it was designed by Ballarat architect J.A. Doane, and commenced in 1864. It consists of a broad nave and transepts with galleries, including cast iron balustrades. The facade incorporates a slate-roofed octagonal turret and spire and a four-light perpendicular Gothic window. The Basalt manse was…

Read More

Coburg, VIC - Wesleyan Methodist (former)

Coburg, VIC - Wesleyan Methodist (former)

Year Built: 1857

Address: 512 Sydney Road, , Coburg Victoria, 3058

The oldest Methodist Church in Victoria and the first built of blue stone. On 5th August 1857, a foundation stone for a church was laid, designed by T.J. Crouch. A sealed bottle containing the following record was placed in the stone cavity beneath the corner stone together with a copy of Argus and Herald of the day: "This stone…

Read More

Colebrook, TAS - St Patrick's Catholic

Colebrook, TAS - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1857

Address: 2 Arthur Street, , Colebrook Tasmania, 7027

Ashlar Gothic church. Comprises chancel, nave, north and south aisles, sacristy and north porch. East window with tracery-aisle windows (lancet) in couplets as are quatrefoil lights to clerestory. Gable iron roof. Stone balustrade and porch. A stone church in a small country town designed by Frederick Thomas and erected in 1856. The…

Read More